Ear, Nose & Throat Community
ringing ears

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

ringing ears

hey everyone, for the last 5 days i've had ringing in what appears to be my left ear but may also be my right ear.  before they started ringing i had a pulse or popping in my right ear that went away at the onset of the ringing,  i've seen my doctor and she took a quick look inside both ears and said my ear drums were bulging and red or dark colored. she said it was allergies and prescribed my a $50.00 nasal spray and claritan,  I've taken this spray for two days now and my ears are still ringing just the same, I haven't noticed a change at all... I'm sure most of you are going to say tinnitus, I'm really hoping that's not what it is but my ears have to yet improve.  I've read online that many people with tinnitus never get rid of it and there's no cure for it.  

I don't understand because I'm 27 and have never had this issue before. I've never been in a car accident or had a neck/head injury that I can recall, however, my neck does snap everytime I turn it, I assume due to my job where I am always having to move my head around in many positions.  Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Wait 2 weeks and either go back to the same Dr. or get a second opinion from another Dr.   It's probably something simple and will go away (just my layman's guess).

side note: allergies do cause serious hearing problems, but not all allergies can be treated with a nasal spray...  see my Journal entry
Try sleeping without a pillor or with only one flat pillow. It helped decrease the ringing.
thanks guys, I went to the drs again, she still thinks it's allergies, she said she saw dripping down my throat and my ear drums were still "popping out" more than they should be
I have 4 suggestions:

1. See an ENT or better yet an Otolaryngologist to make sure nothing more serious is going on.

2. Try this for environmental (Type-1 IgE) allergies: D-Hist from Ortho Molecular
My wife had good results with it.

3. See an Allergist and get tested for standard type-1 environmental allergies, for your region.

4. If no reason/cure can be found, test for Type-3 (IgG) allergies.  See the web-site link in my Journal entry for more info on this.
I also had a hearing test and it didn't go over so well. she said the allergies could be causing this. I can't ever recall having any trauma to my head or hearing.