sound when moving ear
About two weeks ago I started hearing a "crumpling paper" sound inside my ear right whenever I move the ear with the ear muscle or when i pull it upwards manually or when I move the lower jaw from side to side.

There is no water in my ear, no infection and no wax build up (I just came back from my family doctor) and my hearing is not impaired and I have no pain. I have not had any cold for the past few months and I have not injured myself in that ear or anything like that. This just started out of the blue.

Why am I hearing this sound as if I have water and why is it not going away after two weeks?
Is this a sign of a lesion in the cochlea or ear drum that my family doctor has not been able to detect?
What are the internal ear conditions, diseases or lesions that could be consistent with these symptoms?

Thank you
I'll bet it is vibrating cartilage
I had the same problem - the first day it happened, I thought it was just allergies or something so I ignored it, but after a few days, it kept up.  I tried sleekgeek's suggestion and just couldn't get it to work (to the point my ear was starting to hurt because I kept trying).  Today I went to the store and bought one of those $10 earwax cleaning kits (the kind with the drops and that rubber thing to wash you ear out afterward) - at first I thought it didn't do anything, but I decided to give it one good final rinse and viola!  The noise is completely gone.  So basically what seems to be happening for everyone here is there is something lodged in your ear causing the problem, and you need to find some way to clear it out.  
Ok, I will let you know if I find a definitive solution. Someone suggested that a chiropractor may be able to help with this problem. This seems to be a skeleton and neurological problem, so chiropractors should definitely be able to help. In my case, I feel what I imagine to be little bones in my middle ears move; it's not just hearing the crackling sound. It's also feeling things move and my eardrum actually crackling. I think what originally caused this several years ago was overuse of earplugs (those stupid foam plugs - they should be banned or at least have clear warnings) they apply way too much pressure to the ear canal. Anyway, I did see a chiropractor and he tried a quick treatment which did seem to affect things at least. I will be seeing other (more skilled) chiropractors and also dentists (these may have a clue as well cause this has a lot to do with the jaw and the face) and more ENTs in the near future and am pretty sure it'll be fixed. I'll post here when that happens.
Hi, sxst

I am suffering from the exact syptom with you. Just wonda how are you doing now? What kind of treatment actually works? And what is the true reason causing it? Will it recover by itself without treatment?

Thanks,
Iris
Hi, sxst

Thanks, I don't think the doctor can understand me totally...only got to refer to your help.

Iris
Well reading all this and considering i myself have this condition for 3 years back now (and got a little low-pitched tinnitus 3 days ago as well) i think it may have something to do with damaging our ears from overpressure, like from headphones or earplugs. I hardly think nowdays there is a cure for neurological disorders(probably in inner ear) caused by that.
Thank you so much.  I had tried everything, from warm water rinse, to yawning (to make it pop), I'd tried pinching my nose and trying to blow, to raise the pressure and try to force something through the eustachian tube.  I tried putting my thumb over the ear canal and pushing to put pressure on it from the outside.  Nothing worked and it was getting worse.  Then I saw your suggestion and blammo, the noise that'd been bothering me for weeks disappeared in thirty seconds.  That's pretty good for a free remedy.

I am very grateful for your post, SleekGeek!
The crackling in my ear began today.  It was the oddest feeling.  I just knew that others could hear the noises in my ear just as loud as I did.  Of course I could only think of doing one thing to find a solution, I Googled it and WALAH I discovered this community.  After seeing the suggestion I inserted my finger in my right ear and just kept wiggling until it stopped.  YEAH for me.  

Gracias.
I have the same thing with my ear.  The ent gave me fluconase spray for two weeks saying it's probably my eustation tube and this will help.  It has been a week and nothing!  So frustrating.  I don't know what to do next.
I am not sure how to reach all of the people with crinkeling ear noise problems, but I will post in different areas.  My ear noise with mild pain started when I increased my blood pressure medicine, Amlodipine.  It seems the increased flow of blood was the culprit.  My symptoms were the same as most, if not all of the people posting here. It took 4 or 5 days of reduced dosage to get back to normal.   Of course everyone is different, but I didn't read anything here that suggested this as a possibility.  I hope this will be of some help.
so any one no wot it is please, iv had it around 6 yrs,,
I registered on this site JUST so i can thank this man for the advice he wrote above... THANK YOU !!! Everyone with this problem should try it out, it worked for me and many other people, try it out... at first i though that it will not work but i just started to do it and after like 1 minute i gave up and the sound was still there, then i did it again but for around 2-3 minutes and it was GONE !!! THANKS !
I started having the crackling noise in my ear 2 months ago. I can actually feel it and push it around with my finger of the outer part of my ear. I was put on Flonase for 2 weeks and it went away. Was fine for 2 months then 2 weeks ago started to get off balance like i just came off of a boat.  I had a Mri of my Iac's(internal auditory canal) and they said I had a vascular loop in there.(the artery is pressing on a nerve that controls balance and hearing.  They say that can give you tinnitus but mine is more of a squishy feeling when I touch it. You also may have a vascular loop problem.  I would push for an MRI  of your IAC"S if your problem doesn't go away.
Thank you so much, sleekgeek! The sound in my ear was driving me crazy for about 4-5 days. Laid on my side and wiggled a finger in my ear for 30secs (much to the amusement of my wife) and the crunching noise was gone! I really cannot believe it. Can anyone explain it?!

Thanks again. :)
I too had the funny noise in my ear for 3 weeks with no pain. Its been driving me crazy with curiosity. I found this forum and tried all the advice but for me they did not work. I had to go to the doctors to pick up my elderly mothers prescription on Monday and begged/persuaded the doctor to just take a quick peek in my ear - which he did. He said the problem was I had a dead ant stuck in there and that was what was making the noise next to my eardrum the carcass rolling about. I was relieved it was dead. My doctor said he did not have the right tools to remove it and I must go to A and E which I have just done and they removed not an ant but a fly! (It was a very small one). I have no idea how it got in but I am noise free. I phoned my brother to tell him and he told me he had an identical experience after having his hair cut and some hair fell in his ear and wedged against his ear drum giving him the same noise experience. His hair is very thick and wiry. Luckily his wife managed with tweezers to get his hair out. So I suggest a good friend and strong torch and some tweezers if you have no medical insurance. Luckily in England Doctors are free.
The crackling sound in my ears, meowing noise, screeching sounds, rattling noises like cellophane paper being crumpled turned out to be Bell's Palsy.  The nurse practitioner had been treating me with antibiotics for the ear pain, she thought was an ear infection.  I had symptoms for 2 weeks. I wasn't given anything until it was too late, so the nerve damage is permanent. My facial nerve was caused by a virus.
My paper crumpling sounds are from nymph bed bugs that i found, they leave a white silicon like substance to lay there eggs, this is terrifying, but true in my case. Took the nymph bug to the  ENT Dr. and all she said was, yes that's a bug. She not only did not clean my ears, but i hurried out of office, like i was contagious!
Cause of crackling sound of paper in ear may be due to Eustachian tube dysfunction.
Remedies for it could be:
Valsava maneuver: In this person first squeezes his nostril to prevent air from entering.Then takes a deep breath and releases it in a gentle manner while keeping the nostrils closed.The force applied should be gentle since excessive force may damage the ear drum.
Putting few drops of Mullein ear oil will also help to relieve most ear problems.
Dude, you're a genius. I was reading my way down this ridiculously long thread, confident that we all shared the same problem, but that nobody had an answer. I got to yours and skeptically gave it a try. I really hated the concept of trying to force air up into my ears, and suspected it might makes things worse not better. BUT, the ear is fixed - at least for now (knocking on wood at the moment). Funny that nobody else thought-of/suggested it ANYWHERE on the web. I've been living with this for about 3 months now off-and-on. Woohoo!
PROBLEM SOLVED: That last comment was in regard to a7801's comment from Aug. 10, 2012 suggesting closing your nostrils and forcing air into your ears, like a diver would. At least that how I understood it, and it worked for me!
Hey, just yesterday I followed your advice and this terrible sound dissapeared!!! At first sight I thought it was nonsense and really will not help me, but... You must patent this way of curing these cracking sounds :-)
Mine sounds like WAY too much ear hairs rubbing together.
It's the middle of the night, and I just woke up with identical symptoms to Guzmano, right ear. I was highly skeptical, and it took a minute or two, but your suggestion seems to have worked, Sleekgeek. Thank you so much!
I have this problem in my left ear after using earplugs while mowing and leaf blowing.  The finger in the ear suggestion has not worked for me.  I'll try gently warm irrigation for a while and see if it is from a wax plug pushed against the eardrum.

It's driving me insane.  My left ear internals suffered some collateral damage from cyberknife treatment for an acoustic neuroma on that side, but I think pushing-in the earplug on that side may have compacted ear wax against the membrane, or stressed the inner ear.

I have an earache with the cellophane crumpling sounds, and thinking of going to see my ENT, but cannot afford it 'til next year to take advantage of my insurance cash-up-front coverage.
I tried the method of moving my finger around the ear canal and at first it didn't work. But I kept doing it for several minutes and really applying pressure as I did it and it stopped the crackling!   Thank goodness for forums like this!
I have it in my left ear. I had a bad flu and then had this crumpling plasic bag sound in my left ear. I didn't think anything of it at first, because I get this often after I wash my hair and water get's in my ears. But it did not go away. I hear the sound when I yawn (at the very end of the yawn) and when I wiggle my finger around in my ear.
I woke up one morning and found I had this same noise (no pain) when I touched the skin around the bottom of my left ear. I had not changed any activities, food, or medications. After 5 days, I tried this: While taking my shower, I held the hand spray 6 inches from my ear and slowly tilted my head to the side. I also pinched my nose, closed my mouth and tried to breath out until I could feel pressure in my ears. The whole process lasted about a minute. The noise went away. It seems my problem was something in my ear and the process flushed it out. I suspect there may be several things that can cause this and I was lucky to have a problem with an easy fix.
Hey everyone, I was suffering from the same symptoms and I have just recently solved it.

I went to my doctor and he couldn't find anything wrong with my ear and said it might be a eustachian tube problem and it would help if I chewed gum or yawned a lot. Also, he said that the inside of my ear was healthy besides the fact that there were some hair follicles.

Anyway, I tried the tilting back and wiggling method suggested earlier but it only worked for a small period of time and the crumpling noise would be back. However, after more careful fidgeting of the ear, I felt something inside.

In the end, I pulled out a 10cm long strand of hair out of my ear and the noises haven't come back since.
It's always important to post results after you read this stuff... I think as mentioned most do not.

For those who don't like long posts... the tip is: Flush your ear correctly. It will do exactly what the "finger wiggle" trick is doing for some, but it will be permanent, have less risk and is better for your ear anyway.

What happened.

I had this exact problem without any new variations. The sound, happened when I moved my ear and/or jaw I hear the sound. No pain or signs of infection or fluid build up.  

Things I tried:  

I tried the Mucinex and other decongestants for a week or so. No results.
I tried carefully cleaning with cotton swabs (repeatedly). No results.
I tried the finger in your ear wiggly thing. Temporary, but not lasting results. Basically I could change the sensitivity (how easily/often I would hear it) and even in the "intensity" or "loudness" of the sound, but it wasn't going away. This was the best tip up until I did what I'd recommend most do.

A real ear flush. This worked permanently, and I use that word for a reason.

After knowing the problem, I've Googled this symptom with a few extra keywords, and for most people here it is likely the exact thing already mentioned here: a hair or foreign object is resting close to, or even touching your ear drum. The sound is this item moving. The sound everyone describes is not so much like "paper crumbling" but more like what happens if you rub across a microphone... this is closer to what is actually happening to you.

For some this can be a stray hair. It can be a hair from inside your ear that has grown in the wrong direction, it can be either of these combined with some ear wax that has trapped it in it's current position and all of that. It could just as easily be some small foreign object with the same issues.

So... I bought a generic flush kit from my local grocery store. It's basically a small dropper bottle full of olive oil (only ingredient listed on the bottle) that you put a few drops in, for a few minutes to dislodge and lubricate the entire canal. After a few minutes of that, you use the only other thing in the kit... a flush bottle. This is the ideal tool for this problem. It's a little bottle that you squeeze, but it has a special tip on it that squirts water in multiple directions.. none of which is directly at you ear drum. This is important. Anyway, I flushed with warm water a few times and let it drain.

Beside the fact that the sound completely stopped at this point, I used a cotton swab to clean/dry the canal a little... and other than only minor color (olive oil most likely) only one thing came out. A super tiny 1cm or so pice of hair. And then I remembered my hair cut about 2 weeks ago when this started.

It's worth noting... I am NOT a doctor.

I can relate to everyone here.  I have a similar issue.  I have this issue in my left ear - I think as the result of swimmer's ear as a kid.  (I'm 30 now.)  Loud music will cause a static sound in my left ear.  My problem now, however, is a recent traumatic perforation (4 mm) of my right eardrum.  It happened in Sept. 2014 and took two months to fill in, but now I'm plagued with a broken speaker sound when I swallow.  Clicking in the morning when I wake up, followed by popping in that ear every time I swallow.  The crackling (and broken speaker sounds) bothers me the worst, though.  Seen 4 ENTs.  The third claims the epithelial tissue that healed over needs time to regain tensile strength.  The fourth (seen yesterday) thinks it's inflammation of my inner ear nerves that's heightening those middle ear sounds and gave me prednisone (an oral steroid).  Does anyone have any experience like this?  I feel like I'm totally alone here.  Causing me a lot of anxiety/stress every day because I have to hear it every time I swallow and my eustachian tube opens up.  (Noise only in the damaged right ear.)  Please ... if you know anything that can help ... please respond.  It would mean the world to me.

Chris
Chris, your not alone. Whatever is causing all these problems, with everyone i don't know, but i know what is causing mine. Paper plastic sounds, from bed bug nymphs. Stayed at motel that was infested and never knew the bites on back were from bb. Badbedbugs.com info helped me understand some, but this sound got me looking fore answers.They are leaving a white silicon like substance in my ears and nose. Peroxide helps some but not all. It took 3 months before i pulled the first nymph bb out of my nose. Nightmare had begun. No help from ENT Dr. as expected. Seen comment on here, telling someone to ask there Dr. to make a prescription nasal spray with Ivermectin, that is the first sign of hope, i have seen. My dogs are also going thru this as well. These bugs are very good at hiding and are no longer ectoparasites. Maybe after we bug bombed, is when they stated to live on there host, or thats how they left the motel with us. After putting alchol in my ear after feeling a fullness or pressure, then there severe pressure pain, felt like it went thru my eardrum.  I will keep fighting this and always Faith Over Fear!!
Hey sxst,

Chiro sounds like it might relieve some of these symptoms? Do you clench your jaw at night? or find any stiffness? and in your neck?  If I pull my left ear down to my shoulder to stretch my neck, it feels as though my right ear drum is being stretched out creating a sound like rubbing a microphone. This makes me think it is mechanical. I'm getting this paper sound from the smallest movement of my ear drum (sound induced or by moving my jaw). I've been looking into white noise treatment as well. I'm assuming you've had your ears checked for sound tolerance? I'm wondering if you've made any more progress?

I'm 17 and I have the same crackling sound in the right ear. My hearing is also what I can best describe as foggy, and it's giving me headaches. Sometimes I get dizzy too. I don't have any hobbies or jobs that require pressure change. The only activity I do that I can imagine having a negative impact on my ear is listening to loud live music. I clean my ears daily so I know it's not wax build up. I am going to see my doctor ASAP but she is on vacation at the moment.
well i will have to say, it worked for me as well. had the crinkling sound for awhile went away but had recently came back. did sleekgeeks suggestion..to my surprise..gone!! for how long, that will be the test :)
Thanks again.
Haha, astonishingly insightful comment :)
Just tried the head tilt and finger wiggle and it worked. Amazing! I noticed the cracking and crunching sounds the other day and have been looking for clue. Read your suggestion and now it's gone.
I poured peroxide into my ear for about 2 minutes and let it bubble. Then I dried my ear with a Qtip. The noise was gone the next day and hasn't returned.
Just wanted to chime in, as this happened to me and I was able to get to the bottom of it relatively quickly.

I was hearing the crackling noise in my left ear for about 3 days, figuring it was due to a cold I just got over.

I have very dry skin in my ears and do not produce enough wax, so every week I put sweet oil in and spread it through the very outer part of the canal with a cotton swab. Sure enough, this time when I pulled out the cotton swab from my left ear, a 3cm-long hair came out, and the crinkling noise was gone. I would say the ear-wiggling technique likely works for people due to either temporarily or permanently dislodging whatever foreign object is rubbing against the ear drum, as it also worked for me for a bit.
Try the wiggling technique mentioned above.

I have had this crackling noise for 6 months and after reading some of the suggestions here i realized that if i put water in my ear and let it sit, upon emptying the ear it wont crackle as often or at all unless messed with.
I also noticed that moving my jaw a certain way will trigger it a LITTLE when my ear was wet (40 minutes ago).  
This makes me think its a hair somewhere or something similar, however... I'm not a doctor so my finding will make good "doctors visit chat" if serving any purpose.  Dont put it off as long as i did, You may regret waiting too long because you didnt "feel like going to the doctor" 3 hours of annoyance (or even 5 between visits whatever) is not worth your hearing.
I have a permanent ear tube in my right ear due to eustachan tube dysfunction and this paper crunching /crackling sound began last week whenever I push up on the bottom of my ear or move my jaw in a certain way. I saw my ENT and he removed some wax but didn't have any idea what I was talking about. He said the tube looked fine and sent me home. I tried the finger in the ear with a gentle wiggle and my head tilted toward the problem ear and that seemed to eliminate most of the crackling.
I have had this noice for a couple of days and recently i decided to take action about this noise in my ear. So i stuck a bobby pin in my ear slowly and notice how that when i move the bobby pin around my ear it started to make the noise then i slowly took the bobby pin out of my ear slowly and still heard the noise as i pulled it out. My guess was it might be a hair thts somehow deep down at the end of my ear so after i took a tweezer and started trying to pull something out and so after a couple tries i pulled out a stand of hair which was the main problem. After the hair was pulled out the noise stopped. The hair that got inside of your ear maybe the problem.
I also had this annoying sound in my right ear for about 2 weeks. Nothing seemed to help easing the problem until I used a combination of mechanical and some sort of medical treatment. The products that I used are Ear drops (for the symptoms of clogged ears); Debrox earwax removal aid, and last but not least use your index finger and swiveling exaggeratedly on the outside of the eartube. This trio has helped me and I hope it will help you too!
i have this often, its just your eardrum sticking to something, If u put your finger in your ear press down and just gently move your skin around and outwards you will work all the crackling out. You should hear a taut elastic band plinging sound as well as a tape peeling sound.  You will know when you have worked it out when finally there is the finishing sound of 2 rubber things stuck together finally coming apart. I smoke and am unhealthy pretty much always have a mild cold its just your ear messing up for a bit but YOU can help your poor body and fix it.
Everyone here should get tested for Lyme Disease i had this cracking sound 10 years ago now 25 and have tinitus and a list of symtoms. Im telling you get checked now and treat before its to late. i Know the exact tearing sound and i got it after staying in the countryside years ago having flu then memmory problems started it took 10 years of health declining before finding i have Lyme . The same sound my hands make , my neck my feet my elbows everywhere the same tearing/skeletal sound and i know its all related to Lyme. Some may not have it but i bet a lot of you test poss. Also testing for Lyme is very bad so see a Lyme Literate Doctor these are the only ones that know how to deal with this. Dont end up like me where it gets so late and so hard to treat and so expensive
I may have found the answer...I had THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM and searched forever...MAKE SURE YOU DON'T HAVE WAX BUILDUP DEEP IN YOUR EAR!!!!!   Thought I had tinnitus or sensitivity problems like Mozart..my girlfriend looked in my ear and found a huge blockage of wax..I CLEAN MY EARS OFTEN but it was too far back for a Qtip. I rushed to the CVS and purchased some ear wax flush (came with a bulb to flush with warm water afterwards).  Did it once and it got worse...i was deaf overnight (the blockage had moved deeper because my dumb *** turned my head so my girlfriend could look and it slipped deeper). Next morning I tried again and out came this huge clump of wax...I could hear amazingly well and the crumpling paper sound was GONE. Hope it works for you all too!!!!
Actually, the one and only time I had a problem with ear wax was from using Q-Tips, it's a FACT they are NOT for cleaning ear wax. It pushes the wax further in, and packs it against the eardrum. I ended up in the ER with deafness, extreme pain and headache... Dr cleaned my ear out with water and a couple tools... the amount of wax that came out was insane. It was almost unbearably painful to have done... but, as soon as they got the wax out, I WAS PERFECTLY FINE. Zero pain... a bit of a residual headache that was cured with a Tylenol. Don't use Q-Tips INSIDE your ear!!
I am a practicing dentist and would like to share my experience.  I have found some patients have symptoms as described if they have issues with the TMJ.  Oftentimes these issues can result from bruxism or grinding. It may be worth asking your dentist next time you visit.
Thank you durazcoton!
this has been happening to me 2 to 3 weeks now...  I just put some castor oil on a Q-tip and gently, very gently moved it around inside the ear and on the third time a piece of hair, about an inch long, was stuck to it and the sound is completely gone! Yeah.. no doctor co-pay needed!!
The qtip idea is what worked for me.  I first tried wiggling my finger in my ear, and it helped a little.  But I used the qtip carefully as lukta described and now the noise is gone!  Thanks!
SOLVED - Yay! Had the same thing as everyone else described. I tried the "little crowbar" trick that
jzarech, suggested to "pop" my ear. However, just popping the ear (Inserting pinky, forming a seal, and leveraging the pinky out so that the vacuum that formed between pinky and eardrum "pops") didn't immediately work. Tilting head to side and THEN popping did work.
I too wear ear-plugs to sleep (Snoring dogs. ;) ) and woke up with it this morning. Been bugging me all day. I thought it was wax buildup, or an ear-hair (Hate those buggers) that was pushed up against my eardrum.

I am no doctor, but I suspect that it is indeed something resting against the eardrum, and when facial muscles, jaw muscles (from chewing), or you just wiggle your ear lobe, this mechanically moves said object against the eardrum and creates said "Crackliing" noise.
I also suspect that the reason this process works is because the vacuum that is formed while levering the finger out of the ear canal pulls on the ear drum, pushing the wax or ear-hair out of the way. Leaning to the side affected allows gravity to assist and/or amplify the effect.

Oh, and If it hurts, stop. See a doctor. Your either doing it too hard, or, there is something else going on. This process was not painful at all.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents from my experience.
I have the same thing, but im scared of doing anything with a qtup or my finger.
So, I've recently begun this- first few months just pressure/fullness in both ears. Then, left ear would either burn or feel like a blade of grass was in it. Also, my throats would get irritated on the same side (L). Two ENTs were no help; TMJ & ETD. I've been taking Sudafed for 2 weeks now along with Allegra. Ears now have minimal pressure but are constantly crackling. My throat is odd feeling and irritated maybe 1 or 2 days a week which I think is from drainage? No other symptoms. Healthy 36 yr old woman who never had any ear issues. What gives? Total of 5 months and counting...
Tilt your head sideways so the ear making the noise is facing the ground. Take a q-tip and insert it into the ear as far as you can without touching your ear drum. Slowly and firmly rotate the q-tip in a circular motion while pressing against your ear canal. Be careful not to press too hard or you might slip and hit your ear drum. Keep doing this until the noise is gone.

I've had this noise in my ear for as long as I can remember (only when I move my ear with my fingers). I read about this trick, did it, and now it is completely gone.
I thinking is just cardalidge rubbing on cardalidge because it can be loud because cardalidge is hard and rubbery