Ear, Nose & Throat Community
sound when moving ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

sound when moving ear

About two weeks ago I started hearing a "crumpling paper" sound inside my ear right whenever I move the ear with the ear muscle or when i pull it upwards manually or when I move the lower jaw from side to side.

There is no water in my ear, no infection and no wax build up (I just came back from my family doctor) and my hearing is not impaired and I have no pain. I have not had any cold for the past few months and I have not injured myself in that ear or anything like that. This just started out of the blue.

Why am I hearing this sound as if I have water and why is it not going away after two weeks?
Is this a sign of a lesion in the cochlea or ear drum that my family doctor has not been able to detect?
What are the internal ear conditions, diseases or lesions that could be consistent with these symptoms?

Thank you
i have the same thing! it may be eaustachian tube dyfunction which gives similar symptons, but like you mine just starte out of the blue and my hearing is still fine so i have no idea, but try lookijng into the tube dysfunction thing as thats what i think is most likely
Did your GP do a tympanometry test...  I doubt he/she did.

Any how, it is a machine that can tell if your middle ear is functioning correctly. USUALLY, if the eustachean tube is not functioning correctly the tympanomter will detect that.
I have had the same "crumpling paper" noise in my ear now for several weeks whenever I touch or move my ear. I went to the ENT and he said it was probably just my eaustachian tube that was making the crumpling paper noise. I know it is not because the sound is in a totally different place than that of when I pop my ears. The ENT did a tympanometry test on my ears and said that they were fine. But this sound is a completely different sound than the sound of my ears popping which they do just fine. It is right on the inside of my ear where my ear drum would be. If any one has or knows what this could be please let me know? It is the same thing as guzmano was describing up above.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just got back from a visit with an ENT who's solution to this was "live with it". What the heck? I get a crumpling paper (more like dropping a needle on a record) sound whenever I move my facial muscles...like yawn, blink hard, etc. I had a hearing test today and there are no issues. They ran a pressure test too, and the ENT says I don't have any fluid behind the eardrum. He says it's Tinnitis, but I think he's full of it. I don't hear ringing or other sounds like that that are more typical of Tinnitis. I'm looking forward to a continued discussion on this topic. The sound is driving me nuts
I have a simular clicking sound but also a whistleing at about "middle C " level if I put my finger in my right ear,also if I go out in the wind  with the wind coming from behind me. I have had bad tinnitis for years, too many jet engines and rifle shots ect.
Have been to ENT  had MRI showed nothing, ENT's comment ,it will probably get better, after 6 months i'm beginning to wonder.

Jim N
I have the same problem for about a month now. I was getting over a really horrid cold and after I was well it just started. Like paper crumpling when I move my ear.

I'm 41 and fly unpressurized airplanes a lot so I thought maybe I damaged my ear while flying sick.

But I hear fine.

It's only my right ear and the sound will go away for a while if I stick my finger in my ear and open it up like a little crowbar.

Hopefully someone can figure out what it is.

Getting old *****!
Hi, I'm 27 and started having this crumpling noise too, about 3 days ago and only on my right ear. It's not the first time for me though. The first time I had I just took it for a speed bump and forgot about and didn't even realize it was gone until I started hearing that sound like crumpling paper/plastic. I thought it was my eardrum that had strechted because I have the habit of drying the water out of my ears with my towel and really get it dry!
At first I started to play the with my ear and make it sound some more enjoying the novel sound... but then it got louder and started to sound even when I moved my brows or open my mouth.... I also stuck my (index) finger and tried to gently "pop" my ear... Did it a couple of times until the crumpling actually stopped! It seems to come back after a few minutes. To early to tell anything...
62yo male with intermittent pulsating tinnitus x ~4 months. I've been taking a Mucinex 12-hr every other day for a maintenance dose and it's helped.  I stopped over Thanksgiving and IPT returned about 18 hours after the last M12.  I don't know if this will help anyone else, but I guess I'll be buying M12 by the 100-count for awhile. Good luck out there!
had this the past 2 or 3 days.. a crumpling/crackling noise only when i move my jaw or put my finger in the right ear.

i thought it was caused from over use of earplugs wheni sleep and go out to the clubs.

i read a suggestion to tilt my head to the side and put a finger in and wiggle around until it stops... and for some bizarre reason it worked.
@Sleekgeek....I had the same problem and after I read your post I tried it and it worked...I was shocked so Thank U very much for posting the info
I had the same thing and  I figured out that there was a bug in my ear. Maybe a doctor can't detect it because if it was 2 weeks, it could of went behind the eardrum and stuff out of sight.
Ive had a series of muscles spasm through the years when caused me problems walking. //Since then for about 3 months or more Ive been on Aleve and Ibuprofen 600mg four times a day. When I dont take the rx. The poping of the knee comes back. Could the meds be causing the problems with the fluttering of my ear? I mean the fluttering occurs everyday. When im sleeping there is no problem with my ear at all. Im fifty it aint nifty. Could the fluttering in my right ear come from getting old?
I've currently got a crackling sound in my right ear that only happens when I move my ear or wiggle my jaw! And I know that it is otitis media (basically abit of fluid behind the ear drum) I've done this many times before as I SCUBA dive and have a bit of difficulty equalizing pressure. It can happen in varying amounts and if there is only a little it sounds like crackling! Best thing to do is get some strong nasal decongestant and be patient, if it doesn't go away in 2 weeks go see your GP/ ENT doctor!
Thank you SO MUCH !  This paper sound just started yesterday, I thought I had water in my ear --that was not it -- then I thought my earrings kept sweeping along my collar- that was not it --it was like my outer ear (not inner ear) was made of crackling tissue -- driving me crazy and I thought " am I going to have to live with this forever " ???  and then I read your suggestion and just did it and it's gone (Hope it stays gone) ! THANK YOU!

suggestion from: sleekgeek

Can I ask you this: does it hurt, irritate or annoy at all? Does the sound actually escape the ear? can you make the sound with your mouth as well?
Oh my gosh the tilt your head and wiggle finger things actually works! Can't believe it! Thought this was some sort of infection, ear injury, etc.

Thank you Sleek Geek!
I've had this problem off and on for awhile now. No way it could be water in the ears...I can't stand water in my ears and cover them tightly when in the water, even during showers. For me, the crackling happens when I move my jaw; sometimes when I swallow, and when I physically move my upper ear. It doesn't sound like it's coming from inside my ear. It sounds as though my cartilage has turned into that really annoyingly loud tissue paper. It only happens in my right ear...I sleep on both sides, so I don't think that is what's causing the problem either. I'm limited on insurance coverage and would love to have it checked out, but I really can't. Fortunately, it's not painful..just annoying!
I had the exact same problem.  I'd hear a crumpling noise when I jiggled my ear, lifted my eyebrows, or moved my jaw.  I went to an ENT in San Francisco and she scooped out a bunch of wax and a 3 inch hair.  I think it's the hair that caused the noise.  

She only found the hair because she manually removed some wax first.  She does ENT surgery, so she preferred to do it by hand.  She looked through a big magnifiying glass on a stand that also had a light directed at the ear.  I'd recommend you search Yelp.com for a 5 star ENT specialist and have them scoop out the wax manually.   The other way to remove ear wax is to irrigate it out, but I'm not sure a hair would come out that way.  I only had to pay a $30 dollar co-pay, and the whole visit took about 20 minutes.
I have been having this same issue for a few weeks. I tried sleekgeek's suggestion of putting my little finger in my ear and wiggling it around to no avail. I even tried laying on my bed with my head hanging off upside down.

So I decided I would take sleekgeek's suggestion to the next level. With a Q-tip. I slowly and gently slid the qtip in my right ear along the bottom of my canal until it was pretty far back. I did this EXTREMELY slowly, you don't want to hit your ear drum. When I got back I applied pressure to the walls of the canal in a circular fashion whilst rotating the qtip. I did put a significant amount of pressure on the walls (but be careful not to do this in such a way where you might slip and hit your ear drum) and heard the crackling sound in slow motion. I did this for a few rotations until it stopped completely. Now it is gone! So, try this, but do it carefully. Very carefully.
I have the same symptoms as everyone else. It seems very odd to me that we all seem to have the problem in our right ears. Does anyone have this problem in their left ear? I usually don't hear the crackling unless I touch my ear with my finger. I tried lukta's q-tip method but when I slowly tried to insert the qtip further into my ear canal, it was painful so I stopped. I have never had pain in my right ear any other time. The crackling has been going on for a few weeks, maybe a couple of months. I am a 26 yr old female. The last time I went SCUBA diving was a few years ago, so I don't think it could be related to that. I just started a new job so I won't have health insurance for a couple more months and can't afford the doc without it.
I hope the real solution to this problem isn't "live with it". I haven't been to a doctor yet, but it is occurring in my left ear. It's been going on for a bout 4 years now, and I always just kind of blow it off because it's not a big hassle, but today I found myself curious as to what it might he and any fixes. I'm 20 years old so, if the solution is to live with it, I have a long (hopefully) 40+ years ahead of me with this sound in my ear.

I've tried a few things without success. Solutions for Swimmer's Ear, giving my ears an extra good cleaning, I even thought maybe just moving it around would put something back in place. Weird I know, but it doesn't hurt when I move it, so I figured nothing was broken.

Just to note. I have had 4 concussions in the past 3 years (3 major, 1 minor). I play sports (soccer, hockey, and lacrosse) all "contact" sports if you may (let alone soccer, but then again that's where the concussions came from). Could it possibly be due to head trauma? I've had other weird injuries due to head injury like Subconjunctival Hemmorage (bleeding in the whites of the eye), even used to have frequent nose bleeds because of the concussions.

So my conclusion, have all (or any) of you experienced any type of head trauma of any sort?
Yes, I have it in my left ear, started about two weeks ago. I'm going to go off now to try out the wiggling finger suggestion: wish me luck.
i have the same thing but my ear is making a noise that sounds like a spring getting stretched im nearly 14 and i have no idea what is going on and when i try and tell my parents they just laugh at me so i need some help!!
out of no where this morning i went to put my head set on at work and I started hearing crackling sounds and the more i touched my ear the worse it got, also when i moved my jaw I heard it, I can tell its the outter ear not the inner ear and happens even when i barely touch it. It sounds like cartilage is breaking, Im scared as this has never happened to me before. It stopped after about 10 min earlier today but then happened again tonight when I tried to put headphones in my ear. Im afraid to take the suggestion of sticking my finger in my ear since that seems to make it worse. I dont have any pain so far, any thoughts on what this is or how to help stop this?
I've had the cracking noise problem in my left ear for several years. Well it started in the left ear and gradually the right ear joined too, though it is not as much interested as the left one to participate in the activity. It started with only a clicking sound (just like a mouse click) when I swallowed or yawned when it started few years back, but last couple years it lasts usually about 1 to 2 second, the crackling sound, and I can make the sound whenever I want by moving the muscle around my ear (though I don't actually see anything moving if I look in the mirror) Sometimes it's worse sometimes it gets better.

This is the only page on the internet I've found using a search engine about this specific problem. The suggestion by sleekgeek sounds ridiculous to me. I tried **** like that many years ago. Over the years I've been to several ENTs in 4 different countries. None of them had a clue or could tell me what is causing this. A few of the more pretentious ones said it was wax in my ear canal and removed the wax, which proved that this has nothing to do with wax. It's a mechanical thing obviously, whatever it is. The first 2 or 3 years I imagined my eardrum could be kind of loose or something, jolting a little bit every time I hear this sound but now I don't think that's the case.

I'd kill to know what exactly is going on, what is causing this sound...
Please if anybody reads this and has discovered the cause of the problem, or something to do about it I beg you to let me know.
Posting hear and expecting someone to tell me the cause of it is expecting a dead person to tell you what is going on after they die. People only post when they have the problem. In case they fix it they will never bother to find this page and tell other people what happened.
Your suggestion helped me too. At first it was resilient, but after a minute or two of some serious wiggling it went away. =) thank you so much!
Thanks sleekgeek. I tried the head to the side, finger wiggling trick and it worked. saved me a trip to the doctor/ent.
well,i had this 3 minutes ago,i checked the internet and found this...it didnt help,so i started playing whit it(even if i was scared) and i found the solution in seconds lol.....its like when you unplug the toilet,put you finger in the whole(the one in the ear) and make pressure,it went away like that,(its because the ear is full of air i think)please reply to see if i helped you...im new here.i only signed in here to answer this question,thank you

chris,lol.
Try this :-

Block your noes with your fingers , close your mouth & try to push as much air as possible in your mouth until you feel pressure in your ears , then without closing your nose or mouth gulp the air completely repeat it 3-4 times,

Hope it helps .!
I have this in my left ear, since I made a bad dive off the spring board.

My theory is that it is movement of otoconia (ear stones) that are not able to rest where they should, so move slowly inside the ear canals.  I don't have the associated vertigo.  I'm trying to find a therapist who can take me through the liberatory maneuvers.

http://www.webmd.com/brain/liberatory-maneuvers-for-vertigo

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/bppv/bppv.html
Hi have you been able to solve your ear problem?  I have the same crackling sound in my right inner ear every time I swallow.  It has been going on for a year and a half and its so annoying!  The ENTs don't know what to do.

Let me know if you have heard anything!
thanks
lauren
I have this same problem in my right ear.....so annoying.  I will let you know if I figure anything out....going to a new ENT in November.... please let me know if you find any answers too!

Thanks,
lauren
How did you fix your record sound(paper crumbling) in your ears ??? Its been a week at least, and It driving me nuts!!!
My right ear started crackling and making noises, and I thought it was because I would always wear a head set on my right ear for long periods of time. I tried what you mentioned tilting my head and wiggiling my ear, but it didn't work.

Next I just laid my head, on my right ear on a pillow and started wiggling it for  about 10 min.  Next thing I know it the noise suddenly stopped. Thank you for mentioning this technique. It works. :)
I too had a similar crackling sound coming from somewhere in my right ear.  I thought it was because of a recent trip on a plane.  I tried out the technique of using a Q-tip, slowly massaging the canal walls but not hitting the eardrum.  I pulled out some earwax and voila!  The noise stopped!  I attributed it to possibly having some earwax making contact between two separate canal wall areas and "crackling."  It may be a result of my years of surfing and the canal slowly closing.  Of course, with the sound coming from so close to the eardrum, it would sound exaggerated, but who knows if that really was the cuplrit. Bottom line - sound is gone...
Thx for the tip sleekgeek. God bless you man !
Well ..I have this problem in my right ear and makes unnerving sound when I move my jaw and eat somethig or play with my finger. yes this is the only long page on net on this topic and the wiggling of finger seems to help. But not completely.
My ENT also run a sucking machine type of steel tube in my ear and it feld cold and as if some water and wax came out. The sound was lower that day but came back. I swim regularly with only my right side up for breathe, so I am sure it is water ( and for some of you could had gone while taking a bath) but it is only theory. My ENT gave me - nose decongestant, Anti allergy and some medicine to reduce internal swelling. Dont know if it was the right thing. Still on medication.
It is iritating I know..and I can give my car away if someone comes up with the solution to solve this problem....
I had this sound is my left ear, tried using a cotton butt to clean it, then tried jumping to see is there was water...

Until I googled & tired wiggling my last finger in the left ear like a vibrator & with head tilted... It Stopped!

Had to wiggle 2x as after 1st time still had abit of sound moving at certain angles.
Then I just did the closed nose & blow air through the ears excercise & gulping air just to play safe
I'll bet it is vibrating cartilage
I had the same problem - the first day it happened, I thought it was just allergies or something so I ignored it, but after a few days, it kept up.  I tried sleekgeek's suggestion and just couldn't get it to work (to the point my ear was starting to hurt because I kept trying).  Today I went to the store and bought one of those $10 earwax cleaning kits (the kind with the drops and that rubber thing to wash you ear out afterward) - at first I thought it didn't do anything, but I decided to give it one good final rinse and viola!  The noise is completely gone.  So basically what seems to be happening for everyone here is there is something lodged in your ear causing the problem, and you need to find some way to clear it out.  
Ok, I will let you know if I find a definitive solution. Someone suggested that a chiropractor may be able to help with this problem. This seems to be a skeleton and neurological problem, so chiropractors should definitely be able to help. In my case, I feel what I imagine to be little bones in my middle ears move; it's not just hearing the crackling sound. It's also feeling things move and my eardrum actually crackling. I think what originally caused this several years ago was overuse of earplugs (those stupid foam plugs - they should be banned or at least have clear warnings) they apply way too much pressure to the ear canal. Anyway, I did see a chiropractor and he tried a quick treatment which did seem to affect things at least. I will be seeing other (more skilled) chiropractors and also dentists (these may have a clue as well cause this has a lot to do with the jaw and the face) and more ENTs in the near future and am pretty sure it'll be fixed. I'll post here when that happens.
Hi, sxst

I am suffering from the exact syptom (symptom) with you. Just wonda how are you doing now? What kind of treatment actually works? And what is the true reason causing it? Will it recover by itself without treatment?

Thanks,
Iris
Hi, sxst

Thanks, I don't think the doctor can understand me totally...only got to refer to your help.

Iris
Well reading all this and considering i myself have this condition for 3 years back now (and got a little low-pitched tinnitus 3 days ago as well) i think it may have something to do with damaging our ears from overpressure, like from headphones or earplugs. I hardly think nowdays there is a cure for neurological disorders(probably in inner ear) caused by that.
Thank you so much.  I had tried everything, from warm water rinse, to yawning (to make it pop), I'd tried pinching my nose and trying to blow, to raise the pressure and try to force something through the eustachian tube.  I tried putting my thumb over the ear canal and pushing to put pressure on it from the outside.  Nothing worked and it was getting worse.  Then I saw your suggestion and blammo, the noise that'd been bothering me for weeks disappeared in thirty seconds.  That's pretty good for a free remedy.

I am very grateful for your post, SleekGeek!
The crackling in my ear began today.  It was the oddest feeling.  I just knew that others could hear the noises in my ear just as loud as I did.  Of course I could only think of doing one thing to find a solution, I Googled it and WALAH I discovered this community.  After seeing the suggestion I inserted my finger in my right ear and just kept wiggling until it stopped.  YEAH for me.  

Gracias.
I have the same thing with my ear.  The ent gave me fluconase spray for two weeks saying it's probably my eustation tube and this will help.  It has been a week and nothing!  So frustrating.  I don't know what to do next.
I am not sure how to reach all of the people with crinkeling ear noise problems, but I will post in different areas.  My ear noise with mild pain started when I increased my blood pressure medicine, Amlodipine.  It seems the increased flow of blood was the culprit.  My symptoms were the same as most, if not all of the people posting here. It took 4 or 5 days of reduced dosage to get back to normal.   Of course everyone is different, but I didn't read anything here that suggested this as a possibility.  I hope this will be of some help.
so any one no wot it is please, iv had it around 6 yrs,,
I registered on this site JUST so i can thank this man for the advice he wrote above... THANK YOU !!! Everyone with this problem should try it out, it worked for me and many other people, try it out... at first i though that it will not work but i just started to do it and after like 1 minute i gave up and the sound was still there, then i did it again but for around 2-3 minutes and it was GONE !!! THANKS !
I started having the crackling noise in my ear 2 months ago. I can actually feel it and push it around with my finger of the outer part of my ear. I was put on Flonase for 2 weeks and it went away. Was fine for 2 months then 2 weeks ago started to get off balance like i just came off of a boat.  I had a Mri of my Iac's(internal auditory canal) and they said I had a vascular loop in there.(the artery is pressing on a nerve that controls balance and hearing.  They say that can give you tinnitus but mine is more of a squishy feeling when I touch it. You also may have a vascular loop problem.  I would push for an MRI  of your IAC"S if your problem doesn't go away.
Thank you so much, sleekgeek! The sound in my ear was driving me crazy for about 4-5 days. Laid on my side and wiggled a finger in my ear for 30secs (much to the amusement of my wife) and the crunching noise was gone! I really cannot believe it. Can anyone explain it?!

Thanks again. :)
I too had the funny noise in my ear for 3 weeks with no pain. Its been driving me crazy with curiosity. I found this forum and tried all the advice but for me they did not work. I had to go to the doctors to pick up my elderly mothers prescription on Monday and begged/persuaded the doctor to just take a quick peek in my ear - which he did. He said the problem was I had a dead ant stuck in there and that was what was making the noise next to my eardrum the carcass rolling about. I was relieved it was dead. My doctor said he did not have the right tools to remove it and I must go to A and E which I have just done and they removed not an ant but a fly! (It was a very small one). I have no idea how it got in but I am noise free. I phoned my brother to tell him and he told me he had an identical experience after having his hair cut and some hair fell in his ear and wedged against his ear drum giving him the same noise experience. His hair is very thick and wiry. Luckily his wife managed with tweezers to get his hair out. So I suggest a good friend and strong torch and some tweezers if you have no medical insurance. Luckily in England Doctors are free.
The crackling sound in my ears, meowing noise, screeching sounds, rattling noises like cellophane paper being crumpled turned out to be Bell's Palsy.  The nurse practitioner had been treating me with antibiotics for the ear pain, she thought was an ear infection.  I had symptoms for 2 weeks. I wasn't given anything until it was too late, so the nerve damage is permanent. My facial nerve was caused by a virus.
Cause of crackling sound of paper in ear may be due to Eustachian tube dysfunction.
Remedies for it could be:
Valsava maneuver: In this person first squeezes his nostril to prevent air from entering.Then takes a deep breath and releases it in a gentle manner while keeping the nostrils closed.The force applied should be gentle since excessive force may damage the ear drum.
Putting few drops of Mullein ear oil will also help to relieve most ear problems.
Dude, you're a genius. I was reading my way down this ridiculously long thread, confident that we all shared the same problem, but that nobody had an answer. I got to yours and skeptically gave it a try. I really hated the concept of trying to force air up into my ears, and suspected it might makes things worse not better. BUT, the ear is fixed - at least for now (knocking on wood at the moment). Funny that nobody else thought-of/suggested it ANYWHERE on the web. I've been living with this for about 3 months now off-and-on. Woohoo!
PROBLEM SOLVED: That last comment was in regard to a7801's comment from Aug. 10, 2012 suggesting closing your nostrils and forcing air into your ears, like a diver would. At least that how I understood it, and it worked for me!
Hey, just yesterday I followed your advice and this terrible sound dissapeared!!! At first sight I thought it was nonsense and really will not help me, but... You must patent this way of curing these cracking sounds :-)
Mine sounds like WAY too much ear hairs rubbing together.
It's the middle of the night, and I just woke up with identical symptoms to Guzmano, right ear. I was highly skeptical, and it took a minute or two, but your suggestion seems to have worked, Sleekgeek. Thank you so much!
I have this problem in my left ear after using earplugs while mowing and leaf blowing.  The finger in the ear suggestion has not worked for me.  I'll try gently warm irrigation for a while and see if it is from a wax plug pushed against the eardrum.

It's driving me insane.  My left ear internals suffered some collateral damage from cyberknife treatment for an acoustic neuroma on that side, but I think pushing-in the earplug on that side may have compacted ear wax against the membrane, or stressed the inner ear.

I have an earache with the cellophane crumpling sounds, and thinking of going to see my ENT, but cannot afford it 'til next year to take advantage of my insurance cash-up-front coverage.
I tried the method of moving my finger around the ear canal and at first it didn't work. But I kept doing it for several minutes and really applying pressure as I did it and it stopped the crackling!   Thank goodness for forums like this!
I have it in my left ear. I had a bad flu and then had this crumpling plasic bag sound in my left ear. I didn't think anything of it at first, because I get this often after I wash my hair and water get's in my ears. But it did not go away. I hear the sound when I yawn (at the very end of the yawn) and when I wiggle my finger around in my ear.