Ear, Nose & Throat Community
thick stringly/ropey clear mucous coated on back of throat and vomitted...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

thick stringly/ropey clear mucous coated on back of throat and vomitted daily esp. after eating + endless cough!

It has gotten to the point where I can barely eat anything without starting to cough, and I cough until I expel anywhere from spit sized to a whole mouthful of white, frothy, stringy/ropey clear mucous or phlegm or sputum or Post Nasal Drip or whatever this is! It has progressed in the past 10 years into something that's making me afraid to eat.

With it I get hives on my feet and/or my hands. Common sense tells me it's food allergies, but the amount of clear mucous that comes out in a huge clump is scary. When I'd drink a coke, it would totally foam up in my stomach and mix with the slime and I'd cough a couple of times then it would come flying out of my mouth in a huge slimy, foamy vomit cluster (try dealing with this in the car!! I always keep a box of Kleenex around!!)

I do feel 100% better immediately when it comes out though. Like the world has been lifted off my shoulders. My nose feels open, my throat feels open, my stomach stops feeling nauseated, my muscles stop feeling tight and achy, and I stop feeling that CONSTANT string/ball in the back of my throat.

Does anybody else here vomit this slimy, clear, ropey garbage?? I take Allegra, I do nasal washes, I used Nasarel steroid spray. I'm 2 weeks now on a whole foods diet along the lines of salicylate intolerance because the symptoms fit me almost perfectly, along with my results of the ALCAT food intolerance test I took, and lost 6 lbs in 1 week but if I dare to try any foods beyond a chosen few I get immediately sick again... I don't know what else to do. I'm getting really scared.
Also, it's interesting that when I do a nasal wash (with Dr. Grossman's nasal irrigator) using the pre-made packets of saline and baking soda powders, just minutes after I'm done I'll get hives, or the "permanent" hives I have will swell up. My hives, by the way, are the round bump kind. They are on my hands, feet, arms, legs, everywhere.. even my buttocks. If I need a bowel movement they itch to high heaven and swell up, too (so I'm on a cleanse to help).
The cough sounds like a chronic bronchitis.  I don't really have any answers for the rest. Sounds like you may be allergic to something. I'd consult a physician asap and not stop until they give you answers. It must be scary to have this condition and it definitely sounds like it's taking away the quality of you life.  best of luck to you.
I also have the same thing happen to me.  I nearly choked recently after takiing a bite of a sandwich and had to do the Heimlich on myself.  It was goss a big ball of mucus came out with a small piece of bread.  Obviously the bread brought on the cough that started and the the choking.  I can't figure out where all this mucus is coming from.  The lungs or the sinuses.  
I see a pulmo & a ent and no one can figure this out.  I'm desperate and hope eventually I will get to the bottom of this.  I have had all the allergy tests and they have been neg.  I hope you have better luck than I have , let us know if things get better, I love to know what might help.
Oh yeah! And I also started taking 3 drops of Oil of oregano under my tongue. I've read it kills every bacteria and virus. I figured hey, can't hurt. it does BURN a heck of a lot so beware.

but who knows, maybe this helped a little? I still take it every few days because I like that something is helping with health overall.
Well, for 3 weeks I did an insane (but healthy!) diet of nothing more than brown rice, real Irish butter on top, sea salt, plain cooked chicken within NOTHING on it (just the juice and salt that naturally come out when cooked), lots of water (nothing else!) and some cooked brown lentils. I'd have a little bit of celery when I'd want to munch a little.

I was also doing a cleanse at the same time (Dr. Natura Colonix for anybody who wants to know).

By the 3rd week I started taking Benedryl and alternating with Sudafed Sinus and Allergy to make the hives STOP (I was getting hives with everything I ate).

At the end of the 3rd week I had lost 8 lbs and my coughing went totally away. I had no hunger (just zero appetite) and my allergies cleared up a lot. No phlegm. No vomiting while brushing my teeth every morning. My hives stopped. My skin looked amazing and I looked years younger. BUT... by the 4th week, my appetite came back. I actually felt the urge to eat again. I wanted real food... I wanted sugar.. I wanted McDonalds and other "fun foods" that most people who don't have issues get to eat. So I indulged for 2 weeks. Now it's catching up with me. I'm starting to cough and vomit again. And I gained back 4 lbs.

My personal feeling is that my stomach really only wants food when I have a real appetite. If I eat because "it's time to eat", or if I eat a normal sized meal when I'm only a little bit hungry, this is when issues start right up again.

I think I'll be okay if I just listen to my body. Only eat when I'm hungry.. and if that means a few days eating not much, and then a few days really enjoying food because I have a ravenous appetite, then so be it.
Now I'm going to experiment with HCL. Low stomach acid.

Seems a heck of a lot of people are being diagnosed with too much stomach acid when in reality they have too little.

If I take one tablet of digestive aid (pineapple enzyme, papaya enzyme, etc) I immediately get a really unfamiliar feeling of emptiness and hunger in my stomach. I must say I don't LIKE this feeling, but I'm thinking this is probably what I'm missing.
You sound exactly like me. I have been feeling like you for about 5 weeks. First I was wrongfully diagnosed with Epiglottitis but showed no infection on blood tests. My musus is clear and I choke all the time. My throat is a little swollen, but the doctors dont seem to think it is, obviously I feel it. They think it may be allergies but I am getting no relief. If you have any success please let me know. My throat is a little swollen as well. The choking thing gets scary though, I drink Boost all the time, lol. I just want relief! Im gonna get them to do a CT if they don't get to the bottom of it at my next appointment. Antibiotics and Nasonex are not helping!!
I am now doing an intensive cleanse/detox program including very healthy diet (brown rice, spelt natural tortillas, natural sea salt, granola, cranberry juice, tons of distilled water) as well as a Candida/yeast program using ThreeLac.

Reading the symptoms of Candida overgrowth, i fit almost all of it. I did the spit test and failed miserably! I am a very clean person, so I was shocked to see white, stringy legs dripping down from the water top in my glass (shudders).

I'm wondering if all the mucus is from the candida. In the sinus, in the throat, in the stomach, etc. If my spit says I have yeast overgrowth, it would make sense it's everywhere in my system if I'm constantly coughing it up.

Can't hurt to try. I'm on about day 6. So far so good. But I don't know if the less mucus is due to the ThreeLac killing the yeast, or if it's due to my eating so much less (I've lost 5 lbs this past week = 12 lbs in total in the past few months.. I am now 112.5 and I am 5'4").

I'm also thinking of doing the Hulda Clark liver cleanse tomorrow. I'm pretty frightened to be honest - I'm already a little bit weakened from not eating much (I'm getting to the point of being afraid to eat :(  ) but i think I have to do it. When I press on my upper right/middle ribcage it feels bruised - but could that be due to the insane coughing I do for the past God knows how many years? It feels under the ribcage though.. where the liver is. I hope it's just a strain from coughing, but a liver cleanse couldn't hurt me.. or could it?
BTW, I have to keep adding "L's" to my screenname because this website refuses to remember or accept my passwords.
I suffered from Candida and a cleansing program is a great start. I did do the "colonix" program by DrNatura and it was great. I also incorporated acidophelus (live form) from the health food store and changed my eating habits. All this is important as for me I didn't realize how many foods I was allergic to and it was affecting my candida. All that I did has helped control my candida and I have had no flare ups in 5 years. I also make sure I incorporate a cleanse at least once a year sometimes 2 x . Let us know what you decided to use and how it is working for you. Good Luck.
One question for you. When you did the colonix program did you only do one month? It sounds to me that just when things were happening and being eliminated from your body(toxins) you finished the one month cleanse.
I found that it took me into the second month before I started seeing great eliminations of toxins and I continued with a 3rd month. It is the best way to give your body the chance to react to the herbs and help eliminate years of toxins from the body. One month only scrapes the surface.
I hope you are doing better. Perhaps you might want to give your body the opportunity to truly heal by giving it the best start and using colonix for 3 months straight. It helped me and I have overcome some major medical issues.

I wish you all the best. Let us know how things work out for you.
I have the same thing, thick clear glue like mucus stuck in the back of my throat. Its horrible. I too have been to doctor after doctor with no answers what so ever. I waited 3 months to see the last ENT and paid a $50 dollar co pay to hear him say "humm, I dont know" he also said when he did the larnyoscopy "there was no thick mucus in the back of my throat" you guys don't know how close I came to spitting on him and saying "oh ya, then what's that?" Of course I didn't do that, but I'm getting the feeling that they think it's all "in my head" I never had this before in my life, until last June of 07 and now it's January 08 going on a year of this stuff, and reading all these posts make me think it's going to be up to us to figurer it out. How sad is that? I feel like the only person in the world with this problem until I read your posts, and at least I know I'm not alone. If anyone figures it out, please let me know.
I am now permanently on the Colonix/Kleri tea program. I weight between 108-111 lbs now, feel fit, healthy, and better than i have in a really long time.

I was good with the sticky mucous until i gave in and started eating more than just rice/chicken/butter, etc. Sudafed / Sudafed PE will calm the mucous down excellently, but I only do that 2-3 days in a row every few months if necessary.

I am starting to believe that this stringy, thick, gooey, sticky-as-glue mucous we are all choking on might be a new disease yet to be identified.

Scary.
I believe that most of us are eating and drinking too much dairy products.  Milk, cheese, ice cream cause alot of mucous.  I use to get ear infections after eating ice cream.  Once I stopped, so did the ear infections.  Recently I stopped all dairy, all sweets (except Stevia), I don't eat meat, chicken or fish so that meant no cheese?  No cream in my starbucks?  I had to undergo a complete change and I feel so much better.  I eat only fresh organic vegetables, green drinks, brown rice, Quinoa (which by the way contains all 8 amino acids, is a complete protein and has twice as much protein as rice.  At this time I eat no fruit or anything sweet.  I don't even drink soy as often it can cause allergies.  I have lost 27 lbs since October, I am not sick constantly, not coughing all night, finally!  It works, and I have so much more energy.  I take no Antibiotics, I take Probiotics and Digestive enzymes instead.  Antibiotics will only make healing your body more difficult.  Try this, it's truly worth it, you'll see.
OMG!!!   I suffer from the same thing.  I wake up (especially in the winter months) in the middle of the night paniky because I can't breathe, and my nasal passages are dry.  I always tell my husband it feels like their is a hair ball in my throat, and I have this thick mucos that I can't expel.  Well I have my theories...First of all I have been staying with my husbands grandmother, who has no AC.  Since I've been hear, I haven't had any problems, until this past week.  I wondered why...Well lately I have been eating a lot of sugery foods and beverages.  I believe this has caused me to develop a candida overgrowth, that essentially produces these symptoms.  I also found that Anxiety disorder and these symptoms are inextricably intertwined.  Do any of you suffer from anxiety disorder?
The greatest output of phlegm is seen in a rare condition, bronchorrhoea, in which as much as two litres/day of sputum may be produced. Look it up, hope this helps.
I normally feel like my throat & one of my nostril is blocked + I would feel a cluster of something blocking those entrance, I would then try to bring it up then it will shoot out sometimes so fast I have to look for it.  it's like a bit of glue or jelly like mucus.  I would immediately feel free again but then it come back...I don't know what to try I been to the hospital once & was told it was just mucus that stayed from my previous flu, and was given three doses oxygen to breathe in & HISTATUSAIN to take!!!!!!!!!! I need to know what this tpye of cold is & what can I take?
My 11 year old son has been dealing with thick foamy mucus since he was 4 years old. ENTS, Pulmonologists, Allergist and countless other doctors can not figure out why this child has so much mucus that then turns green and thick on the back of his throat and in his lungs and airways.  A homopathic doctor ran blood tests for food sensitivities he my came up positive for Wheat, Almonds, Tomato, Cocoa and food dyes.  I have noticed also that the cold weather does flare up symptoms also. Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable?  He is constantly on antibiotics and inhaled steroids.  I try very hard to feed him all natural foods but for a child it is not that easy.
I Also have the same symptoms.  In the morning it feels like i need to cough it out of my lungs.  About every couple of months i  feel it kinda hard to breath and sick to my stomach and i feel like i cant eat or drink anything. Well when i finally do i start to vomit and up with it comes all this clear flem (phlegm) nasty stuff.  Its crazy how much comes up. Afterward i feel alot better.   I have a hard time breathin thru my nose due to allergies.  Ive tried nasal steroids, claratin,allegra,ect, ect..  Doc/allergiest says im mildly allegic to al lil bit of everything.  This **** is definately annoying!  Ive Been to countless docs over  the yearsand Ear-Nose-throat docs and they also just prescribe decongestants nose spay and pills.   I limit my dairy intake dont smoke or drink and eat pretty healthy.  I also did the Natura/toxinout detox for  a month with no real results.  Not sure if i needt o go longer. The worst part is i have  4 year old who also started showing the same symptoms!  
So, I know these posts are really old, but I was wondering if anyone has actually found a reason for it? I have been suffering from pretty much the same thing for the past couple of years. I choke up the clear stuff, eating seems to make it worse, etc. I've been to dozens of doctors and have what seems like very few answers. I have, however been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and esophageal dysmotility (my esophagus doesn't work very well) They tested me for acid, but that was minimal acid coming up, so no reflux. I never really noticed the esophageal problems until they told me, but it seems to correspond with how I feel before I need to choke up/ vomit the clear stuff. I've found that sticking my finger down my throat to choke up air also seems to soothe the feeling a bit. During the endoscopy, they found my esophagus covered in yeast, to the point where they thought I had aids. (tested neg to that) My doctors have all told me the clear stuff is caused by anxiety. I don't really find a relation to anxiety with it. They put me on med to get rid of the yeast and I seemed to feel better for a couple of months, but it's getting worse again, possibly from yeast coming back from my esophagus not working and food getting stuck there again? Meh. Has anyone else with this problem had your esophagus tested for motility?  
Yes, I too have struggled a lot with all of the above symptoms including: thick, foamy,sticky phlegm; night sweats; lung congestion; coughing; and fortunately have leaned to control the vomiting.  Lately, with the help of a doctor, I have been focusing on the diagnosis of Candida.  I am not much for using drugs to fight the problem, as the drugs in my opinion cause additional issues.  I started using an herbal mixture especially meant for Candida with limited success.  I also tried green tea, peppermint tea and Golden Seal which are all anti bacterial, anti viral and anti fungal.  These have been my power houses in the past but have done little for my year long problems.  Here is what I have been doing for about two weeks now with some early success.  I happened upon a website on coconut, yes coconut, that has been impressive to me.  Apparently, coconut oil has been very useful in defeating candida and I am feeling very encouraged by the results.  I was able to pick up some from Walmart for about $10 in the cooking oil section.  Idealy, it should be extra virgin oil that has been cold pressed and unrefined.  What I picked up was just virgin coconut oil.  Anyway, when I started reading about the oil, I learned that there can be a pretty significant candida die off if you overdue it with the oil at first.  I did not care and launched into it with three heaping(melted) table spoons.  What I experienced was the strong flu like symptoms that i had read about and it was quite the ride for a day or so.  Then I started noticing a significant drop in coughing, mucus build up and most other symptoms.  I was so excited after about four or five days and announced to my wife that I may have licked the problem.  After doing so well for a week, however, I stopped taking the coconut oil and fresh coconut that I had been taking.  I also launched into the candy bin and overdid it with starchy foods.  My symptoms came back full force and maybe even a little worse than before.  So, i started with the coconut oil again today after a horrible coughing fit and I am doing really well.  The **** that was causing me to clear my throat every two seconds has almost gone away.  I am coughing very little right now and feel no thick mucus in my throat after an hour.  I am going to launch into it to win it now and will update on how I do.  Additionally, i plan to leave dairy, simple sugar, starches and high fructose corn syrup alone so that i can really give this a solid go.  And, I will be taking probiotics at the same time.  I am hopeful that this effort helps.                
my brother is 21 suffers from down syndrome and lately he is getting more and more of this very ery thick clear stringy mucus up after eating......has anyone found a reason for what causes this as the doctors with all theie knowledge dont seem to know, could it be a nasal drip as he suffers with ear problems i am going down ever route to try find a reason
my husband has esophageal cancer for 2 yrs the last 6 months as not been able to eat only through his peg tube ,and itis always gevitythe problem is  as soon as he eats food , he starts vomiting this thick stringy sticky mucus and it will go on for hours  the doctors are aware of this the say to ty and drink water more than anything else right now because that would thin the mucus  the only thing he will drink is chicken broth gingerale coffee& gatorade, so i give him asmuch water through his peg tube, and that is not helping  i'm so desperate to find something for him so he can eat again  

it is so heartbreaking to know all he wishes right now is to be able to eat. if  any doctor happens to read this and know  of something please email me at ***@**** i also.would like to hear from the forum. please help,thank you CB
My mother had this problem for quite some time. She was found to have a gallbladder that was packed with stones and a tumor. She has only ever had one gallbladder attack- the one that lead to the removal of the bladder. She has not had the choking/mucus issue since.
itsme314....The yeast in your oesophagus is a huge indication that your problem primarily involves candida. I had the same thing spotted on an endoscopy and was given anti-fungal medication and no additional assessments, return visits or consultations for that problem, as though it wasnt serious and would go away immediately. So at the time I didnt pay much attention.

My advice from recent research is that you take daily supplements of Probiotics mainly being "Acidophilus" and "Bifidobacterium" as well as a few others (the more variants the better). If you research the effects of acidophilus on health including Acid reflux, Post nasal drip and candida overgrowth its pretty impressive.

What doctors dont tell us is that antibiotics kill off good bacteria and encourage an environment where candida can overgrow causing a huge variety of health problems. Your gut is probably overgrown with candida which is spreading to oesophagus and other parts of the body (as I presume mine is too!). Anti-fungals may kill off candida but you need to replace them with good bacteria to stop the yeast returning. Some yeast can resist anti-fungals also so its a complicated subject. Research this and you will be amazed.

My symptoms are excessive post nasal drip / mucus, Stomach problems including acid reflux and bloating, white patches on tongue, dizziness and vertigo amongst others (lasting 10 years and counting).

I am in early stages of probiotic supplementation which will hopefully gradually help eradicate candida from my system and show health improvements short term and long term. I am also aware of the possibility of food allergies contributing to the problem, there seems to be a link especially from most peoples experiences on these forums.

Good luck!
I too get a  thick foamy mucus when I eat.  I start getting hick ups that hurt like hell, then the foam starts.  I had blood tests and found I had bacteria, took medications as prescribed.  Everything was great for a while then it started again, I kept a list of what  I was doing diffrent ... Had icecream... and started chewing gum again... I think its the CHEWING Gum thats doing it.  Think about it,  chewing gum causes you to swallow excess air which can make you bloated it also causes gastric juice to forrm. I stopped with the gum and am feeling better agian.

I think Deenzie is right about the chewing gum.  Mint (or possible Salycilate) may be the culprid.  Since I stoped chewing Mint gum, the amount of Mucus in my thorat has decreased to a tolerable level.  I must mention that at the same time I stopped chewing Mint gum I started taking Zyrtek and Advair.

DCinBC
I take no Antibiotics, I take Probiotics and Digestive enzymes instead.  Antibiotics will only make healing your body more difficult.  Try this, it's truly worth it, you'll see.

I agree with the post I quoted above..

I am a person that never hardly gets sick and when i do I hardly take medication as it will result in hurting your immune system from my believe and you can kill good bacteria,  I just thought threw it and take vitamins to boots my immune system.    

ALLERGY MEDICATION WILL NOT WORK PLEASE READ
reason for this is because this is for more of a head allergy and allergys (allergies) that cause sinus issues, this is a throat allergy,  with changing of seasons or warm to hot to cold weather this will effect our bodys.   I live in missouri with 2nd in state of allergys (allergies) of how bad it is..    

NOTE: I do not have any answer to what you can take or wash in the throat to clean these allergys (allergies).   My guess would be a salt water solution for now.. i will post an update to this, if I have any further information from this point forward.
I've experienced the same thing on and off since high school (about 6 years). As a pharmacy student, it's rather easy to see where anxiety comes into play, as it is worse for me if I am nervous about something. A feeling of anxiety results from stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system. Stimulation of the SNS also results in production of thick, viscous mucus. It makes sense that pseudoephedrine helped as it inhibits mucus production (incidentally, through SNS stimulation of only certain receptors via Norepinephrine). The only thing obvious about our situation is that mucus production is out of control. Psudoephedrine should NOT be used on a regular basis as prolonged use can cause necrosis of the nasal mucosa. It can also cause a rise in blood pressure and a fast heart rate. The put-down of antibiotics seems a little excessive to me. If you are diagnosed with a bacterial infection you should take an antibiotic - that is the ONLY way to clear it from your body. Taking a probiotic WILL NOT resolve a bacterial infection. Bacterial infections left untreated can cause sepsis and death in severe cases. It is, however, quite helpful to take a probiotic while on an antibiotic to help combat competitive fungal infections, as stated.
What about it being parasites, do you have a dog?
Hi.
My cousin has the exact problem, she coughs all day, with small breaks, she has so much mucus coming from her lungs that sometimes i think she is suffocating when trying to get it out and of course, throws up when she eats..i want to help her because doctors don't give us any real solution. if she has an inffection like she usually has when she is coughing in this manner, they give, of course antibiotic, but after a while when she finishes it, things calm down, but pretty soon after she starts again. the same problem over and over again.
I also have to mention that first time when this coughing problem started a year ago it was because of a whooping cough illness that lasted for whole 6 months. Since then, she goes back and forth. sometimes spends weeks without coughing but other times she can cough so bad she throws up. If she goes to doctor they will give same thing: antibiotics, breathing medicine. and i believe the problem will be just temporarily solved. i think she might have a weak immunitary system that cannot fight all these infections. can someone suggests something, some natural remedies, or anything that i can help her with? i care about her and want to help her but i feel that my hands are tied. thank you!
Dmars. I'm sure if anything the dope actually probably makes it better cause I qnever had this problem before. My  ribs are sore underneath like I need to crack my ribcage to let my lungs expand,  but I thought it might have something to do with my back and skuliosis
I get cravings for all the food i believe is junk, mc donalds type places using junk flours and sugars, everything in corner stores, and have found that my cravings subside and i feel normal when i get my essential minerals. No phlegm because i stay away from corn related products and sugars. I thought phlegm build up was the body's natural response when something enters the body that the body doesn't want.
Look up (google)  N-acetyl cysteine amino acid capsules or  the prescription name Mycomist?  Breathing through nebulizer.  Hope this helps.  S