Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
Phlegm after eating

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Phlegm after eating
After every time I eat anything I begin coughing until I get the phlegm out of my throat. It is always clear, but it is quite thick. This has been going on for 4 to 5 years, but it didn't used to be so bad. It used to happen only after I ate spicy food or food that was really hot. Now it happens after everything that I eat. I do not seem to have any other symptoms. I do smoke about 1 pack every 2 weeks, so not that often, but i do. I thought that maybe it was allergies, but I don't really have allergy problems. I hope that i have not left anything out. Please help me to find out what this is and what I can do to fix it if possible.
I would suggest you get a full examination by an ent physician to better assess your condition.  A wide range of processes (including rhinits and reflux) can lead to increased mucus production.  Quitting smoking is always a good idea.  It may help your symptoms and will definitely decrease exposure to carcinogens.  
it's acid reflux. it would probably be a good idea to get it checked out just to be safe but it's super common. The smoking has a lot to do with why you have reflux. Most doctors will tell you it should clear up with a PPi like nexium and say smoking shouldn't bother your stomach but it will. I had a good friend named Jen Barnes in high school. are you from san antonio. anyway i hope you feel better.
A related discussion, sinuses was started.