Erectile Dysfunction Expert Forum
Are erections without arousal possible?

Questions in the Erection Concerns Forum are being answered by Janice M Epp, PhD, a Clinical Sexologist from The Institute for Advanced Study of Human Sexuality. This forum is for questions and discussions about the psychological aspects of Erection problems or erectile dysfunction.

Are erections without arousal possible?

My boyfriend and I were lying in bed with my 4 year old daughter. We were fully clothed, just lounging around. Then I noticed that he had a semi-erection. I was concerned that he had one with my daughter around, but he said he was having no sexual thoughts whatsoever, he just got a small erection because he was feeling really good and happy in a non-sexual way. Is this possible? I always thought men only get erections when they are sexually excited.
Thank yuo.
Hi there.

First, all healthy men have erections daily during both waking and sleeping hours. These are automatic responses of the body, just the same as breathing and blinking. They mean your boyfriend is alive and healthy.

And consider yourself lucky to have found a boyfriend who is comfortable enough with both you and your daughter that he is able to feel relaxed and happy just lounging around on the bed with you. Sounds like a keeper to me :) Dr. J
Spontaneous erections, as the term says, occur spontaneously. If you had a baby boy you would know this. In healthy men they occur regularly during sleep. During the teen years spontaneous erection, with absolutely no sexual thoughts, are quite frequent. In fact, even men with spinal cord injuries, and no impulses coming from the brain to the penis, can have erections. Reflexes that travel from the penis to the spinal cord, back to the penis, can cause erections without any input from the brain.
Thank you both, I appreciate it. Is it possible to get one not spontaneously for no reason whatsoever, but because you feel "happy" or "in a good mood"? Thanks again.
yes men usually gets erection without arousal its just normal for men as just when he gets erection during morning, nights and just when he is feeling good inside, yea he is sexually and physically healthy...
best of luck take care
This is very nice post. You have done really good work here. Thanks for the post. keep posting. I would like to read more posts form you.