Erectile Dysfunction Community
Erectile Dysfunction

Welcome to the Erectile Dysfunction community. Topics covered include drugs that cause ED, heart-related ED, kidney-related ED, impotence, multiple sclerosis, nerve damage, penile pumps, Peyronie’s Disease, questions to ask your doctor about ED, social issues regarding ED, stress, spinal cord injury, and surgery.

Erectile Dysfunction

Early August 2007 I had lower back surgery correcting herniated disc L5-S1.  Prior to surgey I would awaken to an erection (90%+) most of the time and experience an erection  two plus times most days with little or no stimulation. At my age I understand that I am somewhat blessed while maintaining a very healthy lifestyle. However, post-op Aug 9th to this day I have experienced one erection, unsustainable to around 30% normal. I am 6-5 239 muscular build. I have posed my lack of erectile dysfunction to my nurologist with minimal response, with him stating give it time.  To me time is runnining out and I need answers.  My question is:  Can a foley catherer which was used in surgery effect me /damage me to the point where erectile dysfunction is a concern?  I was given hydrocodone for pain but I have only taken 5 within this time frame.
Hello Sir,

The foley cathetar used in the surgery is extremely unlikely to cause nerve damage to the nerves which control erectile function which are the pelvic splanchnic plexus, the hypogastric plexus and the cavernosal nerves. All of these are located outside the prostate, and the foley passes from the urethral meatus directly into the bladder without ever coming close to these nerves, so it is extremely unlikely that the cathetar caused this. It is more likely that during the surgery, if the neurosurgeon was operating around S1, therefore S2,3,4 could have been affected as a result of post-operative changes and those do in fact have autonomic nervous function and could affect erections adversely. Right now is still early after surgery to make a clear cut determination, waiting is a good idea, but after a few more weeks, some function should improve, if not then a more formal workup should begin, including penile duplex ultrasounds and other tests as well.

Thanks!
I had L4/5, L5/S1 Fusion with Hardware in February, 2006. Every thing was going fine and in July I started have problems with incontenance. I reported this to my Spine Surgeon, he sent me to a Urologist. We started talking about the problems I was having and ED was brought up. I was embarrased to talk about it, I'm 42 now, I have not had an errection for over 19 months. I am trying to get a Spinal Cord Stimulator to relieve some of the Chronic Pain I Have in my Low Back, Buttocks, Hips and both legs. I am gettin worse. I have lost control of my bladder, I wet the bed, that is embarassing and I have tried all of the ED Medications (Prescription) and I went as far as Enzyte, NOTHING! Is it possible that the SCS could restore me back to at least Bladder control, or maybe as much as reversing the ED so I can feel like a MAN again! All of this happened at work, I had a fusion at L5/S1, I was pushing a building that should have been moved with a fork-lift, I bent 1 stainless steel bolt and bent one of the Steffe Fusion plates, Broke the 13 Year old Fusion and Exploded the disc at L4/L5. I 'm sure this is permanant and I will have to be less of a man for the rest of my Life. Do you have any suggestions?
                                                    Thank You,
                                                              myshadow
I had a L5 S1 Discectomy in 2002 after suffering for a long time. I am left with numbness in my right buttock, down the outside of right upper leg and knee all my calf, heel and foot into my three little toes. I also have ED problems. I suffer constant back pain and ultra sensitivity on the outside of my right foot that drives me to distraction. I am 60 years old, is this "my lot" for the rest of my days?

Please Help