Erectile Dysfunction Community
Is it ED?

Welcome to the Erectile Dysfunction community. Topics covered include drugs that cause ED, heart-related ED, kidney-related ED, impotence, multiple sclerosis, nerve damage, penile pumps, Peyronie’s Disease, questions to ask your doctor about ED, social issues regarding ED, stress, spinal cord injury, and surgery.

Is it ED?

Hello MedHelp,

I'm 18 years old and having erectile problems, which started around the beginning of my senior year in high school. I am 1 month into my freshman year in college. The main problem I have is acheiving a hard enough erection. I'm not sexually active and never have been. I used to have very strong erections. During this time, I could become aroused much easier; I had firm erections from masturbating (every other day at max), seeing attractive women in even just swimsuits made me sexually aroused, and I could cause myself to have very strong erections through just creating mind scenarios.

Before I never viewed/watched any form of pornography, but then I began to. I still had extremely firm erections so this caused no problem and I didn't abuse it and still masturbated every other day, if that. Sometimes I'd masturbate every day but those were the rare weeks where I assume I just had high hormone levels. Overall, I believe my sexual health was classified as normal.

But then around the beginning of senior year, problems started to occur. I had minor problems that highschoolers dealt with I assume. Low-level school work stress etc. I'm extremely underweight (5'10": 115lbs) and this ratio has stayed with me my whole life so I was fairly insecure about myself. I also had developed a bit of relationship type problems that killed my self esteem. I never became truly depressed, as when I was at school and with my friends I had plenty of fun and didn't worry about things! When alone I did feel I worried more, and I was more inclined to sadness. I theorized I developed a bit of anxiety perhaps, on a subconscious level.

That covers a bit of a mental aspect background. Soon I was using porn every time I masturbated, it killed the lonely feeling. I didn't over masturbate, once every two to three days or so. Then I noticed my erections became a little bit weaker, not completely soft but I couldn't feel that sexual rush either. Porn and women in bikinis just didn't get me extremely erect anymore. Granted I still feel that attraction/ I look at women the same way and my body feels the attraction, just not the extreme sexual response. I barely get erected, and it can drop very fast. When I masturbate now, my erection is not very hard. I can reach orgasm in what I consider a premature amount of time (less than 5 minutes), and when I do my erection doesn't last for much longer afterwards as it did before. I just get left feeling down afterwards. The combination of loneliness, a bit of anxiety, and my erections getting/staying worse just made me feel bad.

When I left for college I stopped masturbating/watching porn. It's been almost a month now. I forgot to mention even my morning wood was weaker. It still is today. I'm sorry to babble with facts but I hope they're of use. The bottom line is this. I want to know, considering I'm so young, what could be causing these symptoms? I'm not anxious about sex because I'm not sexually active so I'm not having erectile problems because of nervousness. I doubt my weight is a big deal because I had healthy, strong erections for years as a skinny kid. I wasn't addicted to porn, yet I did end up watching it almost every time I masturbated. I've been stopping for a month and my morning wood hasn't gotten much stronger, and I actually tried manually arousing myself the other day (not to climax) to find my erection still wasn't great and it went down fairly swiftly. Also notable is the fact that my arousal isn't as strong both mentally and visually. I don't get as strong a level of "horniness". Any thoughts? Help would definitely ease my mind. Thank you so very much in advance.
ED is the permanent inability to attain or maintain an erection, occasional failures are perfectly normal. I suggest you try not to think about it too much. Try to improve your lifestyle, as well: a healthy lifestyle is the #1 ED treatment. If the situation persists for more than three months, go see a urologist.
Seeing a urologists is always a good idea. That said, Many young men are developing porn-induced ED, so your may be related. One month is not enough, as it usually takes 8-10 weeks, depending on several factors.

The following 2 links are to Medhelp threads on porn-induced ED. Read the stories. If you want to know more locate my first 2 posts on the link #1

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Mens-Health/22-with-porn-induced-erectiledysfunction/show/469209?page=1

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Mens-Health/Too-much-porn-masturbation-cause-ED/show/183203

On  GOOGLE VIDEO find  “Erectile Dysfunction And Porn” - watch the video series.

Here’s a Psychology Today article on it
Porn-Induced Sexual Dysfunction Is A Growing Problem
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/cupids-poisoned-arrow/201107/porn-induced-sexual-dysfunction-is-growing-problem

-----------------------------------------------------------------
RESEARCH FROM ITALY

SCIENTISTS: TOO MUCH INTERNET PORN MAY CAUSE IMPOTENCE (2011)
It may not make you go blind, but Italian scientists have identified a worrying side-effect of watching too much pornography.
Researchers said Thursday that young men who indulge in "excessive consumption" of Internet porn gradually become immune to explicit images, the ANSA news agency reported.
Over time, this can lead to a loss of libido, impotence and a notion of sex that is totally divorced from real-life relations.
"It starts with lower reactions to porn sites, then there is a general drop in libido and in the end it becomes impossible to get an erection," said Carlo Foresta, head of the Italian Society of Andrology and Sexual Medicine (SIAM).
His team drew their conclusions from a survey of 28,000 Italian men which revealed that many became hooked on porn as early as 14, exhibiting symptoms of so-called "sexual anorexia" by the time they reached their mid-twenties.
There was some good news, however, as the condition was not necessarily permanent. "With proper assistance recovery is possible within a few months," Foresta said.
Other data presented at the SIAM'S annual conference in Rome suggested that Germans are the biggest consumers of online porn in Europe, with 34.5 percent of internet users logging on to watch smut.
France ranked second (33.6 percent), ahead of Spain (32.4 percent) and Italy (28.9 percent)