Esophageal Cancer Community
chances that this is esophageal cancer?

WELCOME TO THE ESOPHAGEAL CANCER COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Causes, Clinical Trials, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Cancer of the Esophagus, Prognosis and Treatment Options.

chances that this is esophageal cancer?

I'm a 59-year-old male and I live in the UK. I'm slightly overweight (180 pounds/6 ft tall), but was about 165 pounds until about 8 years ago. I've never smoked, and my alcohol intake is usually one can of beer each day.

I should point out here that I have one bad habit that may be relevant - I eat one meal a day, and this is usually an hour or so before bedtime, which I have heard can cause acid reflux. However, I very rarely get any heartburn at night (I don't know if you can get heartburn while asleep and never know you've had it - can you?). Very rarely, I will burp some acid into my mouth while awake in bed (2 or 3 times a year). I never wake in the morning with heartburn or any acid feeling in my throat.

In the daytime I never get heartburn, and I rarely have any other digestive problems.

Now to why I'm so worried. About a year ago, I began to notice that if I ate something like a sandwich hurriedly, some of it would stick around the level of the lower end of my breast-bone. I'd hardly feel it, but when I swallowed a second bite, it would be really painful, as if it were having to squeeze round the first lump of food, or as if it were pushing that first lump down. I could clear the whole obstruction with a big swallow of water, and this would cause a lot of pain for a few seconds. Then I'd eat more slowly and (usually) have no more problems.

I wasn't worried, because I thought it was just because I was rushing my food, but it's been going on for months, and I think it's taking less food to do it.

Googling my symptoms has really scared me, since esophageal cancer looks like a prime suspect (along with Barrett's esophagus, which sounds nearly as bad a disease to have).

It's Saturday evening, I won't even be able to see a doctor until Monday, and any tests might be weeks away.

If anyone can give an opinion on what might be causing this, I'd be very grateful. If any more information is needed about my diet, habits, etc, I'll come back.

Many thanks.
Hi, I live in UK too.  What did your doctor say was your problem?  I get bad heartburn too, and it has been getting worse lately.  I take Gaviscon at night as that is when it is worse.
I have had Gerd for 15 yrs.   It sometimes causes pain and the feeling of a lump in your throat.. My food gets stuck, and it does hurt.  After several upper endoscopies, they actually stretch my esophaus during the test.. And its a great relief.. Get it checked out.  I am having the same issues now again, and probably will have to go and have it stretched and checked out.  I know I think the worse all the time.. And I am sitting here once again, ready to call my Gastro Dr.and he will once again put me in for that test..