Exercise & Fitness Community
Help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Help

Hi, I'm 5' 6" and 32 years old.  I need some suggestions as to what to do to help along my weight loss.  I have been doing weight watchers for over eight months and I have hit a pleateu, so I started running for 30-45 minutes 5 days a week and instead of losing weight I started gaining weight.  Any suggestions?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Calculate the number of calories you are eating. Calculate your BMI, here I would suggest you to take professional help in the form of a dietician.

When you increase your output more than your input by cardio like running, jogging, cycling, swimming, skipping for 30-45 minutes regularly for couple of months you will start losing again. Indulge in sports like football, basketball, badminton, tennis which are very good in losing weight.

Take care!
Yeah do plenty of cardio. But also weight lifting does burn alot of calories. If you do choose to lift weights, dont try to impress anyone haha, just take em at your level, a reasanable weight where your reps are around 12, for 3 sets. The more reps you do the more youll get toned, also if you take out soda and just stick to water you will loose alot of weight! And taken it an even further level- take out beef from your diet, and only eating it like once a week. I have seen major weight loss from taken out beef, sticking to water and constantly excercising.And count those calories!
what is your diet like? perhaps it contributes, combining running with a non compatible diet can lead to more weight, especially if you have gained weight while you do exercise.
my suggestion is that you eat healthy and eat lots of carbs, then run to get the energy out. i also suggest swimming instead or running.
good luck!
You might be gaining weight because you're gaining muscle. If your clothes fit better, even if you're gaining weight, that's a good sign that you're swapping out fat for muscle.

I did the Ultrametabolism Diet last year and liked it a lot. It teaches you how to eat healthy and increase your metabolic rate naturally, rather than dieting in the sense of calorie restriction. There's a book called the Ultrametabolism Diet if you're interested in trying it.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

You can go to a dietician and check your muscle gain and also keep a track of the total body fat content whenever you are working out.

Take care!