Eye Care Community
I rubbed my eye and now . . .

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I rubbed my eye and now . . .

6547012?1295053454
Hello everyone,

3 days ago I've rubbed my 'right' eye because it was itchy, so naturally without thinking I would just rub it until my eye got red and bloodshot when I looked in the mirror.  It went away few hours later but around my eye (not on my eye but the side and under the eye lid area.) started appearing red 'irritated'. I washed it with cold water and went to bed and hoped it went away the next morning.   I was wrong, it appeared puffy in the morning where if you could imagine it was puffy enough to create 'fake' wrinkle lines under the eye.

So I've tried using "Polysporin", 3 times a day, applying it to the affected areas. It seemed to help a tiny bit but overall it's still there. I've also tried ice compress today not sure if that did anything; Also tried the "ratio-Prednisolone", drops today nothing changed.

I'm out of ideas, I hope if anyone knows anything please don't hesitate to post here.  If you require anymore details please tell me I will try my best to provide the information.  If I remember anything else I will post it.

Thank you for your time,

Yours Sincerely,

- Michael
Tags: rubbed
Cleaning is all enough to speed up, avoid all medications, cream etc on these regions as eye is very sensitive to chemicals present in these, also many of these are not that much sterile for use with eyes.
See an ophthalmologist.  If it was due to rubbing alone the prednisone should have helped.

Dr. O.
Thank you for your reply, Dr. O.

I am in fact seeing my G.P. on Monday, and maybe he will refer me to an ophthalmologist.  

For this following weekend what can I possibly try to alleviate this problem or even get rid of it.  I just applied 'Polysporin' again and I noticed it actually feels irritated/sort of stings for a few minutes and then goes away.

Sorry for being persistent on the matter since you've already suggested that I go see a Doctor about it.  I just want to exhaust all other options in the meantime.

Best Regards,

- Michael
Apply warm compress on those areas, diluted baby shampoo cleaning will also alleviate your problems.

Next time when you get itchy feeling near eye regions do not rub instead apply some fresh sterile honey there, itchiness will go instantly without any worry of side effects like from corticosteroid drops.

Hello, des900.

Thank for your reply to my problem.

Do you have an idea what I may have just from my description.  I've read that it may be pink eye too because that's how you get it, by rubbing your eye.  

I really appreciate your help, tyvm.

Sincerely,

- Michael
I think you aggravated the problem by applying unnecessary medications there, simply washing the area with warm compress may alone be sufficient.

That puffiness may be due to violent rubbing or due to some infection or allergic reaction.

Also puffiness can come & go for no particular reason.
Hello again,

Thank you again for replying.

So yesterday night I washed out the medication I've used on the areas and left it dry. Now this morning it looks better, the puffiness seems to have gone a bit down too leaving only one 'fake' wrinkle line as opposed to 2 under my eye as illustrated in the pic still some redness.  But if this is truly "Pink Eye" then it should go away without doing anything in a matter of days right.

Again I can't offer anything to you but my thanks for helping me.

With regards,

- Michael
If its pink eye too, then need for any medication it will go away by body's natural healing property (usually within a week).

You can fasten the healing by cleaning eyes areas (lid margins and other areas around eye) with warm compress & diluted baby shampoo (which help to loosen the dirt & other debris).

Welcome
Use buds or q-tip while cleaning.
Hello once again des900,

Thanks you again for your help.

The swelling today seems to have gone away, but it is still a bit red in the illustrated areas in the pic.

It is now presenting dry skin around there oand feels a bit sensitive.  So the question is, do I still leave it as is and wait or do I start applying something to it to help with the dryness/sensitivity to possibly speed it up.

Thank you :)

Kind Regards,

- Michael