7 yr old with "Black Spot" in vision after being hit by soccer ball...
My 7-yr old daughter was hit in the eye with a soccer ball at school yesterday.  She says she couldn't see out of that eye at that moment but it eventually got better.  She mentioned there being a black spot in her vision close to bed time and again this morning.  I took her to her Pediatrician and she looked in her eye with the light, florescent light and dye, and some other scope type thing.  My daughter said that when she points the light at her eye the black spot grew larger (she also says this happens when she is outside or in a darker room).  The florescent light did not show any abrasions and the Dr. felt like everything looked good from what she could see.  She sent us home, told me to have her skip gymnastics tonight and call her if it still there in the morning.  I'm a mother of three and try not to be the "over reactor" but this one has be nervous she could have a retinal tear.  Is that possible if everything looked good at the doctors office?  Thanks in advance for any input.
Sorry but in an injur like this a non-dilated eye exam by a pediatrician is not enough. Soccer ball injures are a common cause of both serious and minor eye injuries. You need to get her in to see an ophthalmologist as soon as your ca. Either ask your pediatrician to refer you or find one near you at www.aao.org    There is a strong case to be made for children and all others to wear eye protection when playing soccer.

JCH MD
Thank you.  I felt the same but didn't want to second guess a doctor's opinion.  I contacted her office and explained my concern last night.  My daughter started seeing floaters later in the afternoon.  My doctor agreed to expedite the referral and we are seeing an ophthalmologist at Children's this morning.  

Thank you again for confirming what I was suspicious of.  This website is a great resource.
Thanks and good luck. Remember to wear eye protection to avoid this happening a second time.
JCH MD
UPDATE:  We saw an Ophthalmologist and a Retinal Specialist today.  She has severe bruising in the upper retinal area and swelling but as far as they could see today...we should have a full recovery without a need for surgery and no long term vision concerns.  Thank you again and if you are reading this...please protect your children's eyes.  Her school has even issued a new directive that any child with injury to the head or face (big or small) will be sent home immediately and will not return to the classroom.  I almost cant believe how close she was to loosing her vision is the eye..FROM A SOCCER BALL!  I have never been more scared than I was today.  My daughter will always wear eye protection in the future!
This is to re-iterate the above recommendation to wear eye protective glasses, goggle or facewear. In my career I have seen serious, permanent damage even loss of eye from among others:  tennis, soccer, football, basketball, baseball (hard and soft), racquetball, squash, handball, badmitton, hockey, lacross, and........ YOU GET THE IDEA. NOW GET THE PROPER EYE PROTECTION GEAR.

JCH MD
Thank you. Your comments were very helpful. I got hit by a squash ball on my left eye couple of days back and my symptoms are similar to your daughters. I am thinking of giving it a week before I go to see a doctor.
I he'd  soccer ingery  ball in my eye.i lost my vision went to Hackenseck hospital ER .about two full h I can see noting black only. No doctors ware intrasted to even check what is going on with my ingery.they took my information and left me for hoars to wait.after four and half h my vision start coming back slowly .after all that time I ask the eye doctor when is going to check my eye ,he said you are not next so you are in waiting list.OMG.this is wors hospital ever I'm not going back again HACENSECK IN NEWJERSEY.i left the knight for home afrter 5 to 6 h my vision thank got coming back oboit 85% it's back ,what to do next T Y peter ,the aye doctor was weary rod and nasty so I left he sad it's up to you if you want to wait, so I left the hospital,
You do need to see an ophthalmologist as you still may have serious damage within the eye bleeding, inflammation, retinal tears or detachment.

You can ask your personal MD to refer you or go to www.geteyesmart.org and there is a Eye MD finder

JCH MD
I have a black spot in the bottom half of my eye. It seemed more like a shadow. I got it from receiving a soccer ball to the face. I went to see an ophthalmologist and she said it was alright after a couple of exams. Now I can see completely fine but when there's dim light or dark I can still sort of sense the shadow/black spot. Is something like this usual to go away after a couple of days?
That's a question you need to ask the ophthalmologist that checked your eye. She may want you to come back in for a repeat exam as this is not normal healing.

JCHMD
Will do. Thanks very much! Lets hope it gets better
=