Eye Care Community
Any cure or recommendation for optic nerve damage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I had a optic nerve damage in my right eye when I was a kid (25 yrs ago). This was a result after an object got in to my eye pupil and damaged a part of it. However, I had a surgery back then and the vision wasn't really fixed but If I close my left eye  then i can see objects in the right part of my right eye but very blurring. I can almost sense it when it moves and etc. Anyway, I did follow up with some eye specialist after that and they advised me to wait for the technology. So I have seen any specialist in the past 8 years and I wonder if there is any fix for it yet? or any recommendation is appreciated?
Any other additional information is appreciated and I can be reached at zering.***@****

If you have damage in one eye and your are not having your "good" eye examined every year by an eye MD ophthalmologist then you are indeed foolish.

Where there are hopeful techniques that at some point in the future that may help (stem cell transplants, nano-technology, electronic retinas there is nothing right now that is widely available or that works for most people.

Best you try you best to keep you good eye healthy and in that you are deficient.

Find an eye MD at www.aao.org

JCH MD
Thanks Dr. Hagan for your input and I will proceed as you advised.
Good luck

JCH MD
Hi ,
I am from India and i have question regarding the optic nerve damage.
I have niece who is 16 yrs old now.She had catract operation when she was one month old.After that she was wearing glasses .
We are regularally having her eyes checked in our place as well as in Shankar netralaya ,Chennai, Inida which is very famous eye hospoital
Experts their says her optic nerve has damaged and there is no other way we can restore the eye vision for her.HSe has to be on medication lifelong. We feel she is loosing her vision slowely.They have told she has lost her vision in right eye and we have some hope on left eye now.Doctors say that the surgery can worsen her eye sight so there is no other way.

So kindly let us know is there any way that we can  get here eye sight back.Even if it is eye transplant we dont mind.

Kindly help us on this issue.

Umesh
Sorry can't answer that question as it requires an examination of the eye.

JCH MD
Hi ,

Kindly help us on this issue.

Umesh
Thanks for the response ,is there any doctors you can refer here in India ?

OR anywhere if you can refer?

Umesh
I do not know how to recommend the best doctors in India.

This is a previous POST:

WHO GIVES THE BEST EYE CARE IN THE WORLD
by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS

Add as Friend

John C Hagan III, MD, FACS  
Male
Kansas City - MO
Member since May 2007
Journal Entry:   "One of the greatest threats to your eyes ..." [Read]

, Oct 28, 2008 08:34PM
Tags: Best Eye Centers
There are many questions posted here by people with very complex eye problems or things that are very difficult to diagnose. I'm often asked WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE IN THE WORLD FOR THESE EYE PROBLEMS.

Each year academic eye surgeons are polled about their opinion of the best programs in the USA (which put them on a par with anywhere in the world). Here is the 2008 list as published in the October 15, 2008 Ophthalmology Times>

BEST OVERALL OPHTHALMOLOGY PROGRAMS:
1. Bascom Palmer Eye Institute of U of Miami
2. Wilmer Eye Institute of John Hopkins University
3. Wills Eye Hospital/Thomas Jefferson University
4. Duke University
5. Jules Stein Eye Institute/UCLA
6. (tie) Beckman Vision Center/U Cal San Francisco  AND WK Kellogg Eye Center U of Michigan
8. U of Iowa and Emory Eye Center/ Emory University
10. Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary/Harvard

This does not mean that every complex or difficult problem needs to trek to these centers as there are literally hundreds of other fine centers, hospitals, clinics and outstanding ophthalmologists in private practice.

Nevertheless because this comes up so much I wanted to post this list. I'm pleased that the program that I trained in (Emory Eye Center) is listed in the top ten in all lists: Best overall Program, Best Research Programs, Best Ophthalmology Residency and Best Clinical-Patient Care Programs.

JCH MD
hi my name is justine pett and i have bih and i had a papilladema in my right eye and now iam blind in the right eye is there any treatment to correct this or is this permanent
Too many acronyms. What is "BIH"? Do you mean "benign intracranial hypertension"  that's not the preferred name for it. Preferred is pseudotumor cerebri"  Treatment is to lower the intracranial pressure with DIAMOX or optic nerve fenestration surgery.

If the nerve is dead (total optic atrophy) there is likely no cure and your goal should be to protect the other eye from having the same problem or new disease or injury.

See a second neuroophthalmologist for a second opinion.

JCH MD
Hello Doctor,

My fiancee had a problem with her eye for a longtime. She got the retina detachment couple of year ago in her left eye.  After surgery, she had the blury vision in that eye but after some the vision gone away.  At the moment, she got couple of surgery but no results.  In her recent visit to the doctor, she was advise that there is no problem with the retina detachment but optic nerves has been damaged.  Only 5% of optic nerves are working.  Her eyes are getting smaller and squinted.  She has no vision in her left eye. She is 26 years old and i want to get her cured.

If there is a chance to regain her vision, then how we proceed, cause if you can cure her,  I am living in New Zealand and my fiancee is in india, you are in US so how to get appointment for medical treatment and what would be the expense at your side and what would be the duration and possibilities?

Dr John if you can send me those details through email ***@**** then i will be oblige.  
I am sad to tell you that it is likely that no surgeon anywhere in the world can fix a 95% dead optic nerve. India has some excellent ophthalmologists and its likely they've done all they can. The situation is best dealt with by protecting the good eye from disease and injury, wearing protective glasses, and seeing an ophthalmologist that specializes in retina disease yearly. And seeing the ophthalmologist immediately with increase of floaters, flashes of light and loss of peripheral vision in the "good" eye.

JCH MD
Hello, suffered a car accident in September 2008 and was operated at the cervical spine and wheat paste used for a month, then started to have blurred vision and has made examination of visual field and can say that have affected the optic nerve and assm is if there is no treatment and that I will be blind, it is true?

my email: ***@****
That's not enough information to give a helpful answer. Ask that you be referred to a neuroophthalmologist. If in the USA locate one near you at www.aao.org

Good luck
JCH MD
When I was 5, I was in a car wreck that left me blind in my right eye due to optic nerve damage. Is there anything available to help me see in that eye again. Email me
***@****

Thanks,
Madison
-
Hello Doctor,
         I am from India, My sister has an brain tumer operation last year (Age 13 yrs). The operation was successful bt she has lost the vision but not completely. She can see the object and its movement also. Everything is like a shadow type for her. After her operation she is in the regular treatment and check up with eye specialist. Now already 1 yr after the operation. She has recovered a little. But doctor says her left optic nerve has damaged.
          Sir kindly suggest, in this stage what to do.  

Hello Doctor,
         I am from India, My sister has a brain tumer operation last year (Age 13 yrs). The operation was successful bt she has lost the vision but not completely. She can see the object and its movement also. Everything is like a shadow type for her. After her operation she is in the regular treatment and check up with eye specialist. Now already 1 yr after the operation. She has recovered a little. But doctor says her left optic nerve has damaged.

my brother sustained head trauma in a car accident with subsequent subdural hematoma and brain edema. A decompressive craniotomy was done and within 2 months he completely recovered without residual neurological deficits except he developed complete visual loss in both eyes without pupillary response to light. fuduscopy examination is normal and full neurological examination is normal.

What could be the reason for loss of vision ? and what are the diagnostic modalities should be pursued to have an answer?

thank you

Alsharif
bvb
Respected sir,
my name is vivek from india, in accident i have lost complete vision for my right eye
left eye is good (vision 6/6), as per my doctor connection between eye and brain damaged, sir, is any hope for my right eye (i read about stem cell therapy)
please give your valuable advice to me

Regards/vivek
About three weeks ago, I fell onto a thin metal rod sticking out of one of my mothers plant pots (it previously had a decorative dradonfly on it) Anyhow, it ended up going into my eye. It missed the globe, and ended up damaging nerves 3 4 & 6. I got medical attention for it, and went to my follow up appointment where the Dr. told me to come back in 3 months.
My question is, Is it likely that I will have to have a sugery to try to fix the nerves?  I dont think that they are "dead" I can open my eye a little bit, and it moves a little bit. (hence the word little) Do you think that the nerves will repair by themselfs?

THanks!
Hello Dr. Hagan,  
I realize i'm probably asking the same question you are asked every day or similar to it but i have a problem I need some advice on...  My Fiancee was in a freak accident when she was 2. She had her head completely run over by a 3/4 ton van.  shes been in and out of specialists and neurosurgeons all her life and they offer little comfort for her.  She has optic nerve damage in her right eye and partially in her left eye.  We have been following the progress of optic nerve reconstruction and stem cell research fairly closely and that to has offered little comfort to either of us.  She is now 21 and I have run out of options.  I guess i was wondering is there anything out there that can put us both at ease surgery or treatment wise. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.
thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
      Cody Varholla
Dear Sir,

I am UmaMahesh, My brother got tiffed fever when he was at 1Year old. In that he lost the vision almost. But He can identify the objects but not clearly. Doctors have been told us that, his optic nurve has damaged and it is dried. It will be improved, but we couldn't find any improvement. Is there any treatement for it & where i can find treatment in india.

thanks
Umamaheswara Rao
as you can read i have had the ILM peel using ICG (indocyanine green). what your doctor said is what i also have been told that the stain is diluted and time is of essence. and light. there is a blue stain that is FDA approved. some doctors prefer the green even though it is NOT FDA approved and actually no dosing instructions to use this way. it only takes a drop to be toxic. i visited my retinal specialist yesterday where hetookscans and mine is the worst yet from toxicity. it also remains for months. as this is controversal in the medical communities i would definitely talk to your doctor.
Hello Dr. Hagan,  
thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
      Cody Varholla
is the any one in the world doing anything about optic nerve damage i aint heard any one studying to find a cure i went to eye clinics for 3 year and they said they cant help me anymore amd that was 6 years ago now
What advise would you give to a patient who has lost one eye lost due to a severe injury at the age of 3:

The precise details of the history are uncertain but the cornea was badly lacerated together with the anterior slera and intra ocular contents lost. Eye was repaired but after few days seemed obvious to consultants that this was never going to be a useful eye and because of the remote possibility of sympathetic ophthalmitis in the other eye it was removed. (Right enucleation was a success and a prosthesis fitted in) LVA  6/5 but witht he aid of glasses LVA 6/6 bearing in mind there is a convergent squint.

Can you please direct/guide me as to whether there is any form of surgical procedure which can be done within the UK or abroad to gain the sight lost 23 years back. I would also appreciate your views on laser eye surgery and the use of contact lens on this one remaining sight bearing in mind that there is a history of conjunctivitis. What are the chances getting an eye transplant?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Many thanks

Rehena
hi umesh patil,

I too from hyderabad, india.
Dear Sir,

My mom had a tumor in her head , as a treatment to it she was given 7 seating's of radiation. But it gave a fatal result as she lost her vision completely our doctor's said that her optical nerve has dried off because of which she cant see.

I was wondering if you can tell whether there is any treatment for this.
Please do let me know, I'll be waiting for your reply.
We dont mind even if we have to bring her to your place.

Thanks,
Sumbul
Sir i m from India,I have the problem of tears in my right eye.Tears comes often in my right eye,but i have no vision in that eye due to an accident when i was ten years old.Now I am 21 ,I have been suffering from that problem for nearly 10 years.Doctors told me that i cant have my vision and also the tear problem cant be corrected.Is there any way to stop those tears that comes often from my eyes and also can i able to get my right eye sight back?

Pls Doctor Reply soon,Please, my half world is full of darkness and water.
When i was two i was hit by a car. when the tire ran over my head, the force pinched the nerves in my eye, leaving me completely blind in one eye and partially in the other. From what i understand, China has found cells in placenta that helps repair nerve damage and they actually have people seeing again. I am wondering if there is anything in the United States at this point in time. Any knowledge would be appreciated.
thanks
naninki
i have eye problem.In a accident my nerve got damage and i cant see from my right eye.The doctors tell i wont be able to see from right eye.And they have to replace my right eye with a dummy plastic eye.Can u Help
pratik.***@****
Good Morning,
About a year ago my husband suddenly had the vision in his left eye start dissapearring.  At first it sounded like a detached Retina due to the symptoms (purple "curtain" in his vision field, cloudy areas) but upon further examination the doctor told him that his optic nerver had been damaged due to swelling and blamed his diabetes (type 2).  He has had his diabetes under control for an entire year. Unfortunately, though the majority of the vision in his left eye is gone.  Suddenly yesterday the vision in his Right (good eye) started going the same way with the opaque areas and purple curtains; spots in his field of sight.  Everytime he lays down to sleep it gets worse.  Is there anything we can do to stop the progression or even reverse it?  My husband has been the sole care taker for our 4 and 1 1/2 year olds and without his sight...well he wont be able to see his children grow....  Is there anything we can do? He is wearing glasses, taking vitamins...We live in San Antonio Texas is there a doctor around here that you would recommend he see?
Good evening. First I would like to say I think its awsome how you take time out to answer questions like these. Your time means alot to people like us. I wont take up most of it. I just want to say my boyfriend and I plan on getting married soon and he has serious problems with optic nerve damage in both eyes. He was shot through the head and luckily survived at age 16 (now 26) Docters tell him that his optic nerves are badly damaged. Is there not ANYTHING we can do. He can barely see. We are willing to try anything even if it helps 5%. I read up on protien pills called oncomodulin. Could that possibly help? Maybe an eye transplant? What can you suggest? please...Is there any hope at all for us?

trish84
my brother have undergone an eye operation called lasix surgery but he lose his eyesight..is there any other operation that will bring back his eyesight even i he has already have lens inside his eyes?
thanks in advance!!!
Good evening, a couple of years ago I lost 30% vision in my right eye due to severe damage to my pupil. About a week ago I damaged my eye on a broken branch and I have now lost 100% of my right eye's vision. I have visited an Optometrist and he gave me ointments, and told me that I had scratched my eye very severly on the outside. I was wondering if my eye would heal because the damage is just on the outside but if my healing process will be affected because my eye was also damaged earlier on in life and left my right eye with only 70% vision. My Optometrist said most cases do heal, but I was wondering if you could give me a more definent answer especailly since my eye has been damaged twice.
Also, do you know what could help my eye so it can heal? Any suggestion is very much welcome.

Please email me at>>               roxy_sugar_no.***@****
Thank you so much, Regan.
Is it possible to heal the optic nerves damage after optic neuritis?

Thank you so much,

Thank you so much,

My brother had a brain tumor which caused him to be blind in Sept. 2009 because his optical nerves were damaged.  Is there anything we can do while researches are ongoing?  This is very difficult for him.  Hardly any help from organisation my 68 year old mother is taking care of him right now and we all worry what to do should my mother pass away?  Is there any hope for him?  He is 43 no wife, no children.  What about natural products etc.......

Thank you!

We keep praying!
Doctor,

I dont have left EYE Vision. Due to one Accident in the month of May this year. Left Optic Nerve was injuired at that time. Due to that I am not able to see any thing with my Left EYE.
Please help me to this problem.
I am from India. Where it will be cure in india.
my mail id is hari.d.***@**** phone no +91-8144224922.
Please help me Doctor. If you need I will send my VEP report also doctor. If you mail your mail Id to my mail.
How can you be sure if a enlarged optin nerve in toddler is something she was born with or if there is a problem?  Her pressure in 19
respected doctor
my brother had an acciedent he had a compression in optic nerve of right eye he is much better now but still he can't open his eye fully.so can you please suggest anything for this he can read through his eye by opening it on his own but still i want to take advice from you that that he is improving but still is there any treatment in acupressure.
thank you
so much doctor
hoping for your kind consideration.
Treatment of damaged eye nerves
I am 23 years old I suffer from a disease Glaucoma since I was 4 months and I had a surgery in my eyes in 1987 when I was 7 months and the result was that I become Blind in my right eyes and the left twice to consider and conducted another operation for my right eye in 1999. Since I was 11 months, which increased pressure of my eyes and made me, hit the landing of black and white and I could not see from my eyes. Then I went to Iran and make a withdrawal of the pressure to the left eye and the doctor said that the cornea of the eye is weak in addition to eye nerves of the right eye dead, most of the left eye were bad and did not remain only a little that He can see the light through it which is the only part that left from the end of his left eyes. In addition, right eye pressure is high ranging between 50 and 60. In the right eyes the operation that I did it in Iran range between 18 and 20.

Currently, I check the pressure on 10/06/2010 and the result was:
Right eye 52
Left eye 16

Here is a copy of the report to my health facility with the message I hope that you will respond to if you have no treatment solves the problem of blindness that hit my eyes and nerves of the left eye?
I had an accident in my right eye when I was an infant (4 months old, about 25 yrs ago) in Pakistan. However, I had a surgery back then and the vision/wound was fixed but fast forward to when I was 4 years old, my right eye developed cataracts, had surgery and everything was fine. Came to California in '94, about when I was 7 or 8 the vision in the right eye started to diminish. Now after seeing countess doctors, and surgeons about what happened and what to do next, only to receive the answer "Wait, the technology isn’t here." My question to you like everyone else what can I do? Or any recommendation is appreciated? Currently, I am 26, have zero vision in my right eye, left eye is good with glasses.  
Dear Dr.John
I am a 15 years old young man and I had an accident when someone pushed his fingers in my right eye.
Doctors said that my eye nerve is removed and I can not see with it right now and I have noticed that when my left eye is looking straight to the front, my right eye is looking a little bit to the right.
I have checked that my left eye is healthy and very good. But I only want to know if there is any solution to fix my right eye.
Thanks alot doctor,
hoping for your kind consideration.
My Husband met with an accident since 2 &1/2 years ago in which his brain got disturbed from his actual place due to which he has to go for surgery  and right now his brain is ok but due to this problem his right eye optic nerve has got damaged n we have consulted as many as doctors but each n every doctor replys the same "just wait n watch", is there any hope of getting his vision back as in this accident he has lost his left eye completely , his orbit has been removed as it got damaged poorly in accident .. please answer my question as i am very disturbed.
Reply me as soon as possible

Sejal
India
Hello.  My husband was in a car accident about 8 years ago. He was thrown through the window and hit his head on a tree which damaged his optic nerve.  The doctor he has seen has told him that the optic nerve is intact but has grey areas that prevent the message to be relayed from the eye to the brain.  He is totally blind in this eye.  Is there any treatment that could improve his vision?  We have looked into stem cell treatments but have been unsuccessfull in finding anything.
Im  Russ from Philippines, I got my left eye blind since i was 3, a barbeque stick got into my eyeball. and it shrink from its normal size and its nearly totally close. what are my chances to get an operation?

Russ
Hi there, I was wondering as are the others you have talked to,,why there is no progress in optic nerve damage repair/replacement/ or treatment?
I lost vision in my right eye 6 months ago due to a swift poke in the eye with the end of a thick broom handle.I was bleeding through my tear duck and a small cut below the eye.The emergency room doctor stitched the cut shut and put a tampon (for lack of better words) up my nose to stop the bleeding, My eyte swelled up HUGE and the back pressure was too great and put too much pressure on the optic nerve.I was blind by the time I got home (1 hour).Sadd deal really..Is there any hope for us? /// Where are all the celebrities to help us raise money and awareness to regain our prescious vision? Vision is priceless and brings joy to all.
All of the millions & billions of dollars in other research and I have one headlight to navigate...LoL...I gather you will tell me the same things as you can't help us but will give us a comfy pillow to lay our heads.
I think we need a spokesman to get this deal to the front burner.Doctors can take a beating heart out of one human and place it into another body with ease.We sure as heck should be able to replace a tube from the eye to the brain? Sorry,just venting here.Please Help?
My wife was operated for meningioma brain tumer, so for that her left eye vision lost & now right eye vision also reduced time to time.Dr says right eye vision loss due to CSF pressure if any possibilities to recover left & right vision. (left eye vision will recover. (OPERATED ON 24/12/2006)

Pl. treat this as urgent
i am 21years young boy, i have problem in right eye i cannot able to see by using lens also(+1.5),,doctorz are all told its nerve problem...hoe can i curve my eyesight any possible way is there means plz help
Hi, Iam from bangalore , india My cousin brother has eye problem . the doctors say that because he's parents got married in relation only he's got optic nerve problem can it be rectified . Is there any possiblities for him to get his vision back fully.
Dr. Hagan,

My husband suffered from a TBI, he has unilateral paralysis; optic nerve damage; and has lost his peripheral vision in one eye. We are looking for a cure, treatment, help. I can see that he is starting to loose hope, but I beleive that something can be done to help him. I have read about Stem Cells...do they work? I understand that they have come a long way since the 1960's and that there are many different species, but I need help finding some type of solution for my husband, I beleive that stem cells can help. I've read about Beijing Puhua International Stem Cell Treatment Center, reading about it gives me hope. There are success stories about people with traumatic brain injuries.  I need expert advice.  

Sincerely,
Nau Hernandez
My brother has complained of severe headache and seen by their doctor. He was referred to Eye Specilist which he was told that optic nerve for his right eye is swallon.  He was just given pain killer for the headache but is anything you can do to help. Like any eye drop you can prescribe so I can tell him to go and use it.

Thanks and looking forward for your reply.
I was in a car accident in February of this year and had damage to my sixth nerve ....it has not corrected itself and was wondering if there was any typy of surgrey that can repair the double vision, damaged seclera and the nerve?
I was recently diagnosed with ARN ("Acute Retinal Necrosis"), however it took 9 days of bouncing between the emergency room and my family doctor to finally see a Opthamologist.  After being treated with antivirals and steroid for the inflammation; I have gotten some vision back. I still have some haziness and some inflamation (inflammation). Is there any non-steroid treatment for the inflammation?  Additionally how is the progress going on nerver regeneration research?
I had a optic nerve Nerve damage in my right eye when I was a kid (Due to Chicken Pox at age 11 now iam 29 )I was advise that there is no problem with the retina detachment but optic nerves has been damaged.  Only 5% of optic nerves are working.  My eyes are getting smaller and squinted.   no vision in Right eye. i want to get cured. Is there Any hope ??? Please advice
Hi Doctor
I have 2 sons  (17 &19 yrs) diagnose (leber's optic atrophy) they were ok when there were borned beut slowly by slowy their vision started to decrease, so is there any type of treament for their condition.
By the way they were examined in John Hopkins in US when they were (9 &11yrs).

Alfalasi
***@****
Yes I am 16 years old, and I had a peiece of slag that went into my eye, but it missed ny optic nerves by a inch, but anyway, I have had over 4 surgieres because my retnia has torn and redetach, but now they have tried a celicon oil, but its been in my eye for 10months and now its causeing my pressure o stay high, I have to have another surgery following days, but they said that I have some optic nerve damage, but its not to bad and my pressure should subside, but how long will it be for a cure??
Sir,i am abu hena,from Bangladesh.My left eye is alright,but my my right eye 's retina optic nerve was damaged when i was 3/4 years old.Local doctors and Indian doctors said that i would n't see by my left eye.would u please tell me that is there a sollution for my eye?
Please tell me
hi.Imran here I have a problem with my both eyes.Actually before 8 months i take some medicine for the disease of tuberclosis. after three months i feel that my eye vision is working very poor.in this situation my doctor changed my medicine.he said that the Ethambutol is affecting my eyes.
now i can't recognize the colours.I am too much worried because doctor told me that no recovery is posible.
please help me.....
I had a meningioma removed from the right optic nerve about 3 years ago.  I am almost completely blind in the right eye.  They told me that the blood flow was interrupted during surgery which caused this problem.  Is there anything that can restore the optic nerve.  With just a little bit of light coming thru that eye.  It makes my other eye seem blurry and distorted at times.  I have headaches everday and I feel that it is coming from my eyes having to work so hard.
sir ,
.1 of my friends duaghter had a small incident.once she was playing with a pen .while playing with that she got got hurt on just below her eyebrows .my frnd took her to the docter .doctors are sayin now her optical nerves are damaged .as she wil grow up you will come to know the difference in her eyes. slowly she will loose her eye sight .is there any cure for that?i want help from you.please can you help us in any way i will be thankful to you.now she is just 1 1/2 years old.
sir ,
my boyfriend has recently lost the sight in his right eye due to a blow to the head is there any kind of surgery avaliable to replace the sight of the eye?
My best friend was in intensive care for four months following a series of three strokes at which time she lost all brain function and was on life support for the two month period. She has since awaken and is making remarkable recovery and appears to have no brain damage. It may seem insensitive but I call her my zombie sister. however I am attempting to continue her health care with her as it is much needed.

My question , she has diabetes and high blood pressure, the eye doctor today stated that her diabetes isnt a factor in her sight. Her right eye has lost all sight. He said its grey matter and she killed the optic nerve. He also stated her only hope for any kind of recovery of sight in that eye was stem cell research. My question is , is this it? are we supose to just accept there is no treatment for her eye and just continue with the once a year eye exams for the left eye? Are there other options?
I AM WRITING A NOVEL ABOUT A GIRL WHO GETS IN A CAR ACCIDENT WHEN SHES A KID, SO THEN SHE IS BLIND UNTIL SHE IS ABOUT SIXTEEN YEARS OLD. I WOULD LIKE HER TO BE ABLE TO SEE IN THE END, BUT I WANT A LOGICAL EXPLANATION FOR IT. I WAS THINKING THAT A SURGERY WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA , BUT I WANT TO BE ABLE TO EXPLAIN IT IN A BELIEVABLE WAY. PLEASE HELP, ANYONE!! I AM REALLY SERIOUS ABOUT THIS NOVEL AND IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME.
ANY TITLE SUGGESTIONS??
Hello i came across this today and i have a Q for you my fiance had a rain tumor in his brain he had 9 op's on it and also got a shunt ... the doctors said the pressure inside his head over the tumor damaged the nerves in his eyes ... he has a small amount of vision in his left eye and none in the right one he can see a small bit of light out of the corner of the right one !! they never told us any % of sight in his eyes or anything should we ask that???? thay also said they wouldnt get ant better !!! do you think there is anything at all we dont care if we have to go to america or anywere at this stage he's only 21 and would try anything...!!!! pleaseeeee let me know thanks a mill ... tina.
Thats what im trying to find out 2 my fiance had a brain tumor and lost the sight in both eyes buut the left one recovered a small bit but im trying to find a doc who will tell us how and were we can go to get this fixed or if there are any op's or treatment etc.....  please if u find out let me know ... i shall do the same for you
My friend lost his sight to spinal meningitis. The doctor explain to us that the optic never has been damaged. There should be red color blood running through the nerve and it is a pick color. Is there any chance he will ever get some sight back or is there any kind of operation for this. He has been blind for 5 years.Any information would be greatly appreciated.....Linda
hello sir nice 2 see u like this kind of people i have lazy eye from birth now iam 23 years doctors said me 2 patch  when i was child but at that time i was not aware of that but iam felling for it i need my lazy eye 2 be normal atleat an improvement iam very afraid of my life my left eye is good my right is _9.with 4 cylindrical power and 10 years back my lasik laser had done but i dont know why did they do and crotherapy had done so wht can i do now is patching can be done iam waiting for some positive development for my right eye any technology improved
Hello doctor
        My grandfather lost 70% of his site a couple of years ago, he had several retinal detachment & cataract surgeries, and then his optic nerve was severely damaged. is there any way we can get his site back, he s willing to try anything
Hello, My father was recently in a bad situation where he was beaten almost to death. He was brought back to life in the hospital and suffered sever blows to the back of his head, amoung other things. He is now completly blind. His eyes still move and work and are completly healthy but he can not see. We were told some nerves in his occipital lobe were damaged. is there a chance he could see again or is there anyway to fix it?
       Please help
hi doctor,

My son has aphakid glaucoma. His right eye IOP got into uncontrol at 34 in January this year and went through a Baelveldt implant in Feb. Tube revision done in  April due to touch on cornea. Now under tight follow up on recovering.

Doctor found a whitish in the eye just before the tube revision, most probably is an inflammation that will be cured using eye drop. Retina detachment is low possibility. By the way, i wish to ask what is the early symptom for retina detachment?

Another question, before implant, his right eye IOP was 34 and optic nerve 0.9, almost fully cupped. Anyway, he seems able to see well. (He is 18 months). After the tube revision, doctor said some blood stay in the place which previously has Len and this block his vision. Need weeks to heal. Anyway, i am wondering that possible if someone vision getting worse after an implant, compare before the surgery?

I am really worry about my son and hope can get some comment from you. Thank you in advance.    
Actually,one of the glow board fell upon my father and he lost his lleft eye vision.Doctors said that the optic nerve has damaged fully i.e. lost its intact.i want to ask that if there is any treatment for this and if it is so then where it is possible?
My 17 year old son was kicked in the face by a horse and is now blind in his left eye. We just found out today that it is due to the head of the optic being dead. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?
Hello doctor, my brother had an accident  in head, is hit in the left side of the head by a large stone, and after some time remained in a coma, but woke hematoma which has already been reduced somewhat. and also spent meningitis, but doctors say that is damaged and optic nerve of the left eye, while the right eye sees only shades of black. Is it possible to regenerate the nerve? and how to regenerate? he is 23 years old.
hi doctor. i am from pakistan.when i was 10  .something like needle get into my pupil.now  my vision at that eye is zero. local doctor said that is not posible as vision gone from back...sir plz assist me.is it possible. may God Bless u mmy own happiness for u prestigious work
My mother is 63 years old and has suffered eyesight from glaucoma.  She has been totally blinded in her left eye following the Trabectome procedure that dropped her pressures too quickly and is now 95% blind in the right eye and it is worsening daily.  She has wide angle glaucoma and her pressures live in the 20 range - including the left eye that she is blind in.  She has used every eye drop out there but she is allergic or becomes allergic to them so she can not use much.  The physician's have told her that the last thing they can do for her is a Express shunt or canaloplasty.  Any suggestions or advice regarding the procedures or situation?  My fear is that the pressures will again drop too quickly and she will be totally blind.  She was told that there was an herb (not sure of the name) that may help to mildly restore the optic nerva and help to improve her eyesight.  I realize that the real fix is to lower the pressures but at this point she is willing to try anything if it will help!
I am from India ,Gurgaon (Haryana)
My son met with an accident on 4th june 2012 in which due to severe head
injury and fractures in right part of cranial bones his optic nerve is damaged we
consulted doc's they say there is no treatment in the world for curing it. They say that there is no blood flow in the optic nerve and my son can not see  through his right eye at all.  Looking for high hopes from your kindly suggest.
i know someone who has a Glaucoma and he has some damaged optic nerves , please help me find somethings repair damaged never , by food of any vitamins or anything , and i want to know more about the oncomodulin treatment how to buy such a thing  ?
hello sir
i m divya from Nepal. My bro got an accident... the doctors told that a small stone is inside and hit the retina and had scratch a lot... we have gone through an opperation for the two time but at last they told that he wont be able to see from the damaged eye... his retina is fully scratched and the nerves wet fully dryed.....the doctor recommended to have a artificial eye but i dont  agree wid the doctors here in nepal... i hope we can care it.... so can we hope or not???? is there any care....????
Those are all interesting clinics, but each has different focus and know how, so it depends on what eye disease oen has if oen shoudl go there. Fundamentally it is not about the clinics. It is about specific doctors. Oen shoudl never choose a clinic, only a doctor with teh right knowledge and skills. Also note that doctors get bought away a lot by fellow eye clinics and then the  quality of care for a specific eye problem drops significantly and the clinic losing such a doc. It is very rare that they have a top repl;acement lined dup.
I too had a damage to my optic nerve of right eye and with left eye closed I can't see until I put that object very close and i'm using power glasses of -13 but still can't see clearly. Can there be any cure for my problem?
can't optic nerve be replaced with other's ?
Hai since i have met in an accide on 8th September 2012. Had got a head injury and had lost my left eye. When i approach one of the eye specialist he mentioned the following damage To the eye
1. Dense vitreous hemorrhage
2. Multiple orbital fractures
3. Enophthalmos
4. Partial optic nerve avulsion
and i have been under went to operations
for this amd the doctor said i got my optic nerve cut of 3/4th n there is chances of getting back my eye. Will get my eye back or can i get any other references if so plz mention it.
Can you locate which doctors are having this success with placenta?

More info--detailed information.  

Also-- do you know if these people are seeing again with optic nerve damage? If anyone cn locate this info-- PLEASE post.
Many blessings and peace.
my mother aged 74 lost her left eye vision after 3 months cataract surgery. She had severe pain for 1 and half month in left head. but unfortunately disease was not deteceted. Doctors are saying optic nerve became dry. She is not  diabetic. She has been given steroid treatment. from last 1and half month. Wherther any chances to recover?
Hi Dr. my husband's mother lost her sight and the hospital did not declare why one often said a brain clot hit the optic nerve and again when he said they took her back means spinal cord injured optic nerve ...If allowed Are there processes restore her sight and if it is I want the name of a doctor or hospital or phone number I'm from Jordan please help me
Hi all, my name is Terry. I have had vision problems in my left eye for 15 years, i.e., blurred vision, halos, etc. I was doing some yard work, weed eating last week. It was hot, and my glasses kept sliding off when I was bent over pulling weeds from my flower bed, so I took them off. I jad a pile of stuff and fired up the weed eater to chop it up, and got smacked HARD in the left eye by a piece of the stuff I was chopping up. I thought it had stuck IN my eyeball! The pain was intense. It gave me a black eye, and a visibly bruised eyeball, and vision fogged, like looking through milk. It hurt pretty bad for a few days. I was sitting on the couch a couple mornings ago, and suddenly realized the vision was clear in that eye! No more haziness, fogginess or halos around light sources. I can read without glasses now! WTF? Did I give myself eye surgery by weed eater or what? Will it stay "cured"? I am highly gratefull for this happening to me, and while I don`t recommend this, are things like this fairly common, or is this a happy freak accident?
I see this was posted in 2008..is there any new information ? My boyfriend damaged his optic nerve in an accident and I just can't believe with today's technology that there is nothing they can do??? Any studies we can look into?? Anything?!?
Hello. i am aliya. my 6 months old niece has a problem actually when she was born she did not breath for 5 minutes her all organs were failed and doctors put her on ventilators and after 5 minutes she started breathing and slowly her all organs start working. she was on ventilators for 28 days. now her eye specialist in DUBAI checked her and said that may be she cant see. today she had a retina test doctor put some liquid drops on her retina and actually she did not respond to the light. so they are saying may be she is blind. they recommended VEP test by which they will see if the nerve coming from brain to the eye is damaged or not .. so please can you help us in this regard and is there any cure of it . please get back to me as soon as possible.. i will thankful to you

I am paimel from India, I have sister who is 7 year old and she is not able to see from left eye as 2 months back she fall down and she had a small injury on her right eyebrow and also some blood came from her nose. After few days from the injury she told us that she is not able to see anything from her left eye and so we consult to the eye specialist who told us that the eye sight is perfectly fine and the eye specialist recommend us to consult the neurosurgeon. We consult a  neurosurgeon in Max Hospital, Chandigarh India where they informed us AFTER DOING THE MRI and VEP test that her eye nerve which is connected to her brain is damage at one point where it passes between two bones. The doctor have given her some medication for 3 weeks and than again did the MRI and VEP tests and said there is some improvement however she is still not able to see. Also, the doctor said they cant give her more medication and she might cure herself or it can also be a permanent damage.I request you to please let me know if there is any way with the help of which she can get the vision back.

Email ID:paimel.***@****
My right eye is damage. I can not anything. So what i do?
Dear Doctor .,

my sister both eyes are no vision in the past 4 to 5 years . we are living in India. we get advice from various doctors in India.the doctors says that she's optical nerve is damaged by an wrong treatment earlier.ie  no treatment for regain the vision . (some of the doctor says that the optical nerve was dried.others says optic nerve carry blood and others never carry oxygen).
please advice me

thanks
basheer
dear doctor,

i am chandra sir,  i met an accident at last month. it is not so severe accident ..but my right eye vision be lost at some part only..and other part vision be in some dark ness but seen..the other part be seen not clearly is there any cure..is it cure or not sir...plzzz help me sir...in accident some blood is come in my nose ..sir...my eye bright be some lost...rply me sir
I am 42 year old Computer Architect in US, recently (3 months) fell from a motor cycle ride (40 KM/hr) on a bump in India during vacation and impacted my head on the side walk and lost 70% (see things in negative effect) of my left eye vision. Left is not able to take light from farther distance and I can see SUN blazing in midday directly into the eye without any eyelids twitching . The Doctors say it I have 60X20 vision now. 3 Days from the accident, I went through Steroid doses for 6 days, not sure about improvement. The diagnosis from India (Shankar Netralaya, JIPMER) research centers is that, I have optic nerve damage and not recoverable, pending research possibilities. I am a US citizen, live in Boston on and off, and resigned to this inevitable reality which affects everything I am & I do now a days. Is there any hope or Doctor/Medical institution/New procedures that can give me hope ?

Please advice.
Raj
Hi EyeRaj,

I have same issue in my left eye. Please let me know if you find any medical treatment. Even I went to Shankar Netralaya. If you are ok then I would like to talk to you more on this topic.