Eye Care Community
Burning Eyes, Aggressive blinking, very heavy around the eyes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Hi All,

I have scoured the internet to find a solution to my problem, many have had similar symptoms but nothing spot on to what I have... anyways here goes:

For the past say 7-10 years..cant remember exactly.. I am now 30, (no idea how it started) I have dry sore eyes (not so much red, just very sore and dry) that feel like they are burning, not just heavy blinking but full face blinking almost, I don't just blink I squeeze my eyes closed tightly, constantly and all around my eye (eyebrows and cheeks) constantly feel extremely heavy and droopy to the point where I feel constantly tired.

I have been to several doctors who always just give me eye drops like visine or similar (yes I have tried the ones with and without redness reduction) I have also been to see an optometrist thinking it may be just bad eyes (although I have 20/20 vision) I was given a pair of glasses as it was found I have a stigma, but this has not helped either.

It is really embarrassing, and I cant control it... I am honestly starting to think it may be a tick like some form of tourettes or something like that! but highly doubt it.  I find that if I am stressed it gets really bad, or if I have had a few drinks (booze) then it goes crazy and the symptoms just multiple by AT LEAST by 2.5.

I have tried stress reduction, but that did not work and we all know you cant completely eliminate stress. I have tried not drinking for a few weeks, that also did not work.  I also used to smoke and had the symptoms before and after I stopped.

I also thought it may be bacteria in the ducts (cant remember the medical name of this but the way to resolve it was to place hot towel on your eyes and massage to break it up in the ducts) this also did not work...

I have tried to force my eyes to stay open with my finders but I cant hold it more than 10 seconds before they really start to burn and water up and I do not get much weeping from the eyes either (at any time)

I also have sleep apeona, this often makes me tired but I do get some days where I sleep amazingly but still have the symptoms... I cant work out if it is just a habit I have formed or if there is something medically wrong with me... I just would like some direction on how to tackle it or if anyone may be able to shed some more light on this for me. even with all my concentration, I find that it just happens and I cant stop or control it.

I am really getting desperate now and cant afford to keep seeing doctor after doctor until one actually spends some time looking into it more, at least this way I can tell them what I think it may be (with your help) and let them know where to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if more info is required, am happy to provide it.
Thank you
Rob
Tags: burning eyes, heavy eyes, heavy blinking, Dry eyes, burning
I would recommend a cycloplegic refraction (check for glasses with dilation), if normal get a referral to a neuro-ophthalmologist.

Dr. O.
Hello Rob.  My name is Roy and I came across your post today and it was like someone was describing my life.  I have the exact symptoms as you do.  All the way down to sleep apnea.  However, I've always assumed that the heavy eyes and blinking were due to being sleepy or fatigued, so I've been attacking it from that perspective.

I’m 5’10”, 175 lbs, so I didn’t fit the profile of a sleep apnea patient, but sleep studies showed mild sleep apnea.  Over the last 10 years or so, I've been to many doctors to address sleep.  Sleep doctors, of course, put me on CPAP, but that didn’t seem to help.  I’ve tried a dental appliance to pull my jaw forward and open the airway.  Also, I’ve visited with an endocrinologist to look for hormonal imbalances and diabetes as an explanation for fatigue (all normal).  I’ve taken numerous supplements (magnesium, coconut oil, B12, St John’s Wort, etc.), but so far to no avail.

I feel tired, but it’s difficult to tell whether sleepiness causes the heavy eyes, or maybe there is an eye problem that is making me feel sleepy.  At one point, it did occur to me that it may be an eye problem so I saw an ophthalmologist.  They also thought it might be the bacterial buildup (blefferitis, I think), so I tried the hot towels, but that didn’t help the symptoms.

In any case, it’s nice to meet someone who is going thru the same thing.  Like you, I keep searching the internet to find a new treatment … still searching. How are you treating your sleep apnea?  What are your next treatment plans?

Look forward to hearing from you,
Roy
San Antonio, TX
Guys,

It may sound crazy but try changing your diet.

To get specific with this, I am referring to switching to a completely 100% ORGANIC diet. Dramatically reduce how much meat you eat, and when you do eat Organic Grass fed meats if you have to.

Get more omega 3 / krill oil tablets + fish with you. Beware though that a lot of fish have a high mercury content so look into the fish that are generally low in mercury.

Rid your house of all of the toxic household products and have it replaced with 100% plant based natural products. I am referring to items like your soaps, hand washes, dish washing liquid, laundry detergent, house perfumes.

Stop drinking fluoridated water, buy PUREAU water if you can, or invest in a reverse osmosis filter that get rids of fluoride and all other toxic chemicals in the water.

Also exercise everyday, do interval exercise drills, do strength training and stretching.

Finally try be under the "sun" as much as possible to increase your vitamin D levels. Head to a park, the beach, or a bench, anywhere with natural sunlight where you can read a book or just relax.

If you do the all of the above, and follow it as a law; I guarantee your symptoms will improve.