Can vision problems cause non-epileptic seizures
My 16 yr old son is having seizures. They do not show up on EEG, his Cat Scan & MRI are fine. We were told they were conversion disorder but after 6 months of thereapy, the Psychologist finds NOTHING that they feel is "underlying" to cause this. He has them more during school term, only 1 this past summer.  2 years in a row he had almost a seizure free summer, then the 5th week of school they start back with a vengeance. I have narrowed it down to his vision but cannot find any info of a previous case like this.  He has had these for almost 2 years.  We are desperate to find help.  he loves school and is a straight A student. He is very involved in ROTC as well. He has Ambloipia and was patched for 2 yrs.  However, his vision is still 20/80 left and 20/20 rt.  I think the strain from the eyes is causing this - explaining why he does not have them after school.  i think it builds up a stress in the brain from reading/concentrating etc.  Please help if you know of ANY case like this.
There is no scientic evidence to support your theory and it seems his treating  physicians feel the same. I myself do not think it at all likely either.

JCH MD
The problem is that all of his treating pysicians don't have an answer either.  1/2 say it is some underlying medical issue they cannot figure out - and the other half say it is physcological.  The psychologist does not think it is psychological either.  So where does that leave us? he is again out of school for 5 weeks becasue he was having up to 6 seizures per day.  The cardiac nurse on staff at the school who has witnessed all of them says she does not believe at all that this is conversion disorder, neither does our Pediatrician.  But they also have NO suggestions.
Seizures can be difficult to control. That's why sometimes surgery is necessary. Find a neurologist that specializes in seizure control.
JCH MD
This is so strange. I have seizures as well and have had them for the last 4 years. I have had them longer but just thought I was going insane losing time. Anyway, My hearing is starting to go. I went to an ENT and discovered that I have nerve damage that has caused me to hear only at 55% in both ears what ever that means. Well, now my eyes hurt and I have poor depth perception. I get migraines daily. I have been every seizure medication there is just about and no good results but tons of bad side effects. Anyway, My eyes are ultra sensitive to light. I had an eye exam I dont remember the details of the results but I got glasses since and when I wear the glasses from morning to night....NO SEIZURES. but when I take them off during the day..they come back..BTW-- My seizures have been documented through EEG. So no psychological disorder here. Other than the fact I lost my freedom to go and do what I want when I want. But anyway...what can my eye glasses be doing that is preventing my seizure? I have no insurance and we have spent every bit of savings at the neuros and I cant afford to go back to him anymore. So I was hoping someon could shed some light on this.
I am having similar attacks 2, bt are triggered by fast sounds and music. Similar to say flashing lights.

I am partially blind in my left eye and I have been to 2 different neurologists, and had 2 EEGs. Some epileptiform activity was shown on one EEG recording bt apparently it was not a seizure??? neither neurologists helped and neither knew what was wrong. V unhappy.

I haven't worn glasses since I was a kid, and I will be buying glasses again this week, hopefully to some prevail. Its great to see that im not alone. If either of you still visit this page, it wud be nice to speak to someone about n share personal experiences of it...
I am an alternative medicine physician practicing in malaysia and your postulation is right .
I have been treating patients with epilepsy by treating the strain caused by their vision using electro-accupunctrue and vitamins and i have had tremendous results in controlling and reversing their seizures .

Dr Gangadaran
Have you had any other diagnosis with this. My husband is completely blind in one eye and we have been through the MRI's EEG and neurology tests and still no diagnosis. We are pretty sure that he's having seizures and he feels them coming on. Just frustrating and would be nice if they would put him on something but they won't until they establish the problem. We have sort of self diagnosed him and believe it has to be related to his eye. He had a bad injury to the eye and many surgeries.
No never.  I hope he would be under the care of a neurologist and if necessary a psychiatrist not a psychologist. That is a very unusual situation and diagnosis in a 16 year old.  May be time for second opinions or a trip to a world famous tertiary care center like Baylor.