Eye Care Community
Cataract Surgery in only one eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Cataract Surgery in only one eye

I recently had cataract surgery in my right eye only; left eye has the early indicators of a cataract forming but no surgery needed at this time.  

I don't know all the exact particulars, but basically my vision was corrected in the right eye for distance using an IOL.  I was told i would have to continue wearing a contact lens in my right eye until the cataract matures enough for surgery.  Doctor thought i'd have no problem with vision, as long as i had the contact lens in (was told i could not wear eye glasses because of the image distortion).  Post surgery, I was dizzy, have had depth perception issues and feel like my eyes are not working together at all. Surgeon says he doesn't understand why i'm experienceing problems - never heard of such a thing (really??).  Vision in right eye is corrected to 20/15 and with my contact lens, vision is 20/20 in the left eye.   I saw my optometrist and she lowered the power in my contact lens, which immediately helped with the depth perception; essentially what i now have is mono-vision.  Still can't see clearly - she said eyes will not work "together" but independently and my brain will adjust to knowing which eye to rely on.  

I feel like i'm going crazy -- working in front of a computer is hard, especially in the afternoon when my eyes are tired.  Will i ever be able to see well again?  I am hoping the cataract develops quickly in my left eye - if you can believe that!  Then i'll be faced with do i correct vision for distance or do mono again.  

This discussion is related to How to correct vision after cataract surgery in only one eye.
I was in the same position as you -- the cataract in my left eye was much more developed than in my right, where one was just beginning.  I had my right eye done very soon after my left, mainly because I don't tolerate contacts well and I knew it would need to be done eventually anyway.  I don't know of any reason you can't do the same.

The time for cataract surgery is somthing you have control over -- you don't necessarily have to wait until the cataract "matures".  If wearing one contact lens is bothering you, talk to your surgeon about having the left eye done now.
I agree with cwatt1.  Wearing a contact lens in the unoperated eye does not give comfortable binocular vision to everyone.  If your surgeon continues to be opposed to doing your left eye now, I'd recommend getting another opinion.
=
I am a 53 year old woman who is having cataract surgery on one eye.  The doctor wants to make that eye -2.5.   My good eye is 8.5.  He says I will have to wear contact in right eye and glasses.   Has this worked for anybody, or do you all have distortion?
That has been discussed at length and at depth. Use the search feature and archives and read about monovision IOL, mini-monofocal. Short answer is yes it will be difficult for the eyes to work together.

JCHMD