Eye Care Community
Chalazion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Chalazion

I've had a small lump on my eyelid for over 6 months now. I have been to two different eye doctors and both basically said the same thing; it is a Chalazion.

Neither of them felt it should be surgically removed as apparently it doesn't show much( upper eyelid). They prescribed Dexamytrex and hot compresses. I did all that, and the swelling seemed to go down, but once In a while my eyelid goes red...no real pain just a nuisance.I discovered I had another chalazion on my upper eyelid and lower eyelid on the same eye. Although they lower one is not visible at all and never bothers me.

I revisited my eye doctor, and he complained that I have very greasy skin and he prescribed me Dexamytrex (one application before sleep) Vibramycin (100mg for a 6 month period(1 water solluble tablet a day)....(apparently to reduce the greasiness). Now the main problem for me is...after reading up on the side effects of Vibramycin...should I really be taking this?And for THAT long a period? I'm a bit worried that my health would suffer more with that antibiotic, than actual do me any good.

Any opinion would be welcome...

Thank you in advance
Long term tetracycline use is common in acne and blepharitis patients and is as safe as other medications. Remember ALL medicines have side effects. I would be more concerned about the dexamytrex as I believe it has steroids in it and those I really try not and use for long periods.  Also use TheraTears SteriLid eyelid cleaner.

Use the search feature and read the many posts about chalazions and blepharitis.

JCH II IMD
TheraTears SteriLid eyelid cleaner

I can't seem to find that in Greece...Any other suggestion?

And I'll start taking vibramycin starting tomorrow. thanks for your input:)
Hi There!

I just wanted to share with you my positive experience regarding a chalazion. I developed a chalazion about 10 days ago and I was scared that it was going to stay for a very long time and then after some research (days and days i might say) I read that someone's chalazion had gone away after three days of crying over the loss of a lost one. At first I was afraid to cry, thinking it would aggravate it, but then I realized that I was stressing out about it so much that the stress might be also making it worse. So I decided to let myself cry over it for about an hour (I did NOT rub my eyes at all). Today my chalazion is noticeably smaller!! I also did a lot of warm compress which might have helped too, but I really think the crying did it!

Good luck, and happy crying! :)
=
I just gave birth 2 and a half months ago and scheduled for a chalazion surgery next week. should i stop my breastfeeding journey? thank you