Congenital cataract - Microcornea - Microphtalmia
My daughter is 4 months old. She was born with congenital cataract, microphtalmia and microcornea. I believe her TAL measure was 15.8 in one eye and 15.5 in the other one so it's not severe I think.
She had cataract surgery at age 6 weeks and she's wearing contact lenses. My Impression is that she sees quite well, She graps even small objects I am presenting her and she reacts to my face. I am wondering what is her visual prognosis? What are the chances that she has a good enough vision to read and right normal prints? Is there chances that her vision reaches 60% for example?
Your daughter has a challenging set of problems and needs the highly specialized care of pediatric ophthalmologists well into her late teens. As much as you would like to have this information it's not possible to give you a % chance as you asked. Your best source of information are the ophthalmologists that are treating her and who can look into the eye and assess the other parts of the eye such as the optic nerve, macula and retina.

JCH MD
Dr. Hagan, how lucky we are to see you here again!

SSdi, please follow Dr. Hagan's advice.  He knows his way around an eye.
Dear Dr.Hagan, thank you very much for your answer. Her optic nerve, retina and macula are normal according to her doctor. I think we are in good hands and I trust her doctor. The only think she doesn't want to give prognosis because she explained that if she goes for the lowest possible outcome she'll scare me and if she goes for the higher I'll be disappointed if it doesn't go well. I am wondering if it is something we have to accept that she'll have low vision or is there chances that her vision develops to a normal or close to normal level. I cannot find clear answers on the web on how micro cornea and microphtalmia can impact her vision.
Thank you in advance for your help.
I don't know why this is just showing up on my list of questions its now 11/15/15 but if you see it most children with these problems do not see 20/20 (good vision)     Having vision 20/60 to 20/100 on reaching age 18 would be considered a favorable outcome. I no longer treat pediatrics and have not for about 15 years so I do not keep up with congential problems and their treatment anymore.

JCH MD
=