Eye Care Community
Constant flashing/blinking light

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Constant flashing/blinking light

I have been seeing constant flashing/blinking light in my peripheral vision in my left eye. It is really distracting and makes it difficult to focus on anything. I have been to an optometrist as well as a retina specialist, and they both say there is nothing wrong with my eye. So what can be causing these flashing lights? and what kind of doctor should I be seeking out?
It it persists and so does your desire for diagnosis then see an neuroophthalmologist. Find one at www.aao.org

JCH MD
Hi I've been having a blue flashing light out of the corner of my eye also.  I also had eye pain with it.  Eye doc doesn't see anything so he ordered a mri wich showed some spots in my brain but no optic nerve swelling.  went to a nuro guy that orderd mri in neck and spin to rule out ms.  Now I just got a mra and I'm seeing a retina guy tomorrow morning.  Don't know what he's going to find if the other guy didn't see anything.  It's been about a week since I've seen the blue flashing light but I've been having some white flashes in both eyes not bad.  Vision seem off or something.  I can't but my finger on it.  The doctor also said I am color blind and I've never been before.  Should mention I am a female and it's rare or so i'm told.  I will let you know what my doctor says after tomorrow.  I also have some tingeling on the side of my temple.  
Thanks for the information. Your condition somewhat sounds like mine, so it would be interesting to know what you find out. Unfortunately, I cannot find a neuroophthalmologist in the area I live, the fastest neurologist that I can schedule is in July, and I can't even get an MRI because my family doctor does not think I need one. All of the doctors I have been seeing says I ok, but I definitely do not feel ok. All of this is very frustrating.

Anyways, keep me updated. Thanks.
Oh btw, I did get a CT scan of the head (without contrast). Would this kind of scan be enough to show damage/inflammation to the optic nerves?
No a CT scan of the head will not image many cases optic atrophy or optic neuritis.

JCH MD