Eye Care Community
Detached Retina and Macula

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Detached Retina and Macula

I had a detached retina and macula and had to have a vitrectomy and buckle and gas bubble placed I was wondering if anyone had that done and how their vision was after the fact . It has been three weeks and I still have half the bubble in my eye my surgeon says he is very happy with the progress I am making but my sight above the bubble is slowly coming back but it is still blurry . I can start to make out things and kind of see the television  but its like looking through haze . I was just curious if anyone one else had this done how their vision was after the fact.
If you will please use the search feature and archives to hunt up previous conversations there is much information and many comments by people that have had that surgery

JCH MD
I too had rd surgery with buckle victrectomy and gas bubble. My surgery was Nov 3 2009, My macula was mostly ok though. I had my follow up with the surgeon yesterday 12/9 and all is well. The gas bubble is still present but has subsided to the point that I can see fairly well above it. I read 20/30 through the pinhole with the post op eye.At three weeks post op my vision was pretty much as you describe it. I hope that within 2 to 3 weeks you are where I am at with my vision. My only advice is to be patient, which I know is difficult! and follow the Surgeons directives. I will not be back at work for another 4 weeks, But that is because I am a CDL truck driver and minimum vision allowable is 20/40 corrected in the weakest eye. I am confident after yesterdays consult I will be back to pretty much normal by then. I wish you a good recovery with good results.
-
I had surgery for a detached retina and macula and it has been 6 weeks and my pupil is till dialated and he took me off the drops on December 7 I was just  curious if that is normal or not , and does anyone know how long it takes to go back to normal ?
If you are using red topped eye drops its normal.  However some patients do have permanent dilated pupil after retina surgery. Sometimes it does improve for up to 6 months.

JCH MD
Dr Hagan-

Does the eye improve only up to 6 months?  i thought it can improve up to a year to 2 years?  

thanks in advance for your reply.
I had a bubble, cryopexy and laser retinopexy. It is over a year now. Still blurry, like looking through the clouds. It is improving very slowly. SO, yes it takes long time to improve if it ever will. Im talking about retinal detuchment macula off.
Most improvement occurs first 6 months some people improve further over the next 6 months. At one year its not likely to improve much more. Macula off RDs very often do not get normal vision even with a reattached retina.
JCH MD
5 months prior retinal detuchment went to opthometrist for eye exam, was pregnant at the time. Had multiple optomap laser scans done on my eyes. 7- one eye, 5-other. Two hours after exam had headache, increase in flouters, fatigued eyes, pain in the back of the eye when moving, mostly the eye that got 7 scans, feeling foreign body inside the eye for 5 months until RD happend. Is anyone knows the spectrum of optomap retinal scanner. Can these scans can cause photochemical changes to the retina or retinal burns, leading to retinal detuchment. Where can i find information about maximum permissible dose per eye using optomap retinal scanner.
It is not true that at one year after retinal detuchment repair vision do not improve much more. I am a living example that it is continiue improving after one year. Had macula off detuchment, two surgeries in april 2011. One year was april 2012. Today is july 2012, and my vision is much better now, improved sinse april 2012. It is possible!!!
-
it has been quite a while.. what is the post op experience ? are you seeing okay now ?