Eye Care Community
Does Lacquer cracks progress?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Does Lacquer cracks progress?

I had a vitrectomy for floaters recently and found that I have lacquer cracks through macula in my eye due to myopic degeneration during my 1 month check-up with no CNV, no bleeding etc. Surgeon told me that I am at risk of CNV and asked me to watch for any signs . I still have wavy vision from my surgery and slowly recovering.

1) Is this wavy vision possibly due to lacquer cracks or from the surgery and would possibly go away?

2) My vision has improved since my surgery - will that continue to improve and take me to the original state that I had before my floaters surgery?

3) Will the laquer cracks progress slowly and cause damages?

4)Are there possibilities that once my retina is stabilized from the surgery, laquer cracks won't progress and not lead to CNV?

Any pointers would really help me!

Thank you!
Tags: laquer cracks, CNV
Use the archives and search feature to read the many informative discussions about "myopic macular degeneration".  

Some cases progress, some don't. No way to tell the future.

I am not a fan of vitrectomies for annoying floaters. You will need to discuss your problem with the surgeon. This surgery carries major risks, major expense, may fail to rid the eye of floaters. You vision may not end up as good as it was before surgery.

JCH MD
Thanks for your quick response doctor!

Does laquer cracks make wavy vision?

What does it mean by lacquer cracks through macula? My surgeon checked my eye and said the retina looks good though and asked me to come back after 3 months...

I was searching and found that wavy vision is a symptom for CNV but I already have wavy vision after the surgery and confirmed last week that I don't have CNV. What symptoms will I see if I get CNV?
1. Yes it may cause wavy vision.  2. and 3. You'll need to ask your surgeon

JCH MD