Eye Care Community
Double Vision and Idiopathic Perifoveal Telangiectasia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

This is a comment on some prior questions regarding double vision associated with Idiopathic Perifoveal Telangiectasia.  I've had this diagnosis (Type 2) for about 3 years.  The condition is also known as "Mactel" or Juxtafoveal Telangiectasia.

Some of our contributing MDs were perplexed by reports of double vision in patients who received this diagnosis, but I believe this is a logical consequence of the visual distortion, or metamorphosia, associated with this condition.  It's how my case originally presented.

Because the condition often affects both eyes, the result is that the two retina images no longer align to form a single binocular view.  The brain tries hard to align things, but it can't, and there are odd results.  What I found was that words would be missing in a line of text.  The brain just skips it.  At other times, double vision comes and goes.

With my doctors and my orthoptist, we worked out a solution.  As it happens, I've had monovision for years.  One eye works for distance, the other focuses for reading.  In fact, I had the condition for years without knowing it.  I never needed glasses.  The "mactel" diagnoses resulted when my "close" eye finally needed glasses, and we corrected both eyes.  Double vision was the result, and I was sent to the retina specialist.

Our solution was to take advantage of the monovision and correct only the eye I normally use for reading.  We have a plano lens for the distance eye.  As a result, my brain only gets a single in focus image, and there is no double vision.  There is a minor distortion or warping from the retina disease, but it's not a problem.

I post this, as I said, because of prior questions on this topic, in the hope that it might be useful.
Tags: mactel, perifoveal telangiectasia
Just for your information. The other Eye MD Expert that helps on the community side, Ray Oyakawa MD was one of two physicians that made the original report of IPT and described the findings.

He is taking a rest from answering questions till about 4/18/13. If you have any questions or comments post them on an EVEN date after that date. Dr. O is one of the leading world experts on that condition. I believe he was at Johns Hopkin Wilmer Eye Institute when he reported it.

JCH MD
Thank you Dr. Hagan, I've seen the paper by Dr. Oyakawa which you mentioned.

IPT is somewhat rare, although there is uncertainty about its incidence rate.  For example, my primary Opthamologist sees many patients in his busy teaching hospital faculty practice, but I'm his only patient with this diagnosis.  

The medhelp.org website is one of the few places where patients can meet one another and compare notes.  At some future time, I probably will post some additional comments about my experience with this condition.
Certainly, thanks for sharing your experience. I have not seen that many patients with the condition but those few I have over the years have done well.
CJH MD