Eye Care Community
Eye pain - could it be zoster or simplex?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I have had a pain in my eyes for several weeks now.  It started as an intense headache like pain, and now is more of a dull ache/itchy feeling, more heavy on the ache.  It comes and it goes, and it's in both eyes, though today it's heavier on the left.  It can be light sensitive, and I also feel the ache in the surrounding areas.  My Internal Medicine doctor said it's tension headaches, and the opthomologist said that he couldn't see anything wrong with my eyes.  (Though they weren't bothering me that day.)  

I'm concerned because before May I'd never felt anything like this and the tension headaches are gone.  A few weeks before this started happening someone at my OD stuck a re-usable plastic thing in my eye to check me for glaucoma.  Could this have given me an incurable eye disease?  She said "I usually clean it before patients come in the room."  I hope that means she always cleans it and usually before the patient enters the room, not that she usually cleans it but not always.  
Tags: Eye pain, eyes
I forgot to mention two important things - I've had no changes in vision.  Additionally, two weeks ago I had what the opthomologist (this was by phone, not in person), thought might be blapharitis.  The bump on the inside of my eye lid was tiny but irritating.  He wasn't concerned, but I am.  It went away after a day.
The time frame (weeks) doesn't work for either H Zoster or H Simplex. Nor is it likely to any contamination of eye instruments.Given the state of the world tension headaches are the most likely of anything you've mentioned.

JCH MD