FLASHES OF LIGHT AFTER CATARACT SURGERY
I HAD CATARACT SURGERY THREE WEEKS AGO.  ABOUT 5 DAYS I STARTED GETTING FLASHES OF LIGHT IN THE EYE, EVEN IN THE DARK.  I WENT BACK TO THE DOCTOR ON THURSDAY.  HE DILATED THE EYE, DID AND EXAMINATION AND ASSURED ME THAT EVERY THING SEEMS OK.  HE SAID THAT THE FLASHES COULD BE A REFLECTION OF LIGHT ON THE LENSE, AND THAT SOMETIMES THE LENSE WILL MOVE AROUND UNTIL IT SETTLES COMPLETELY IN THE SAC.  EVEN WITH HIS REASSURANCE, I AM STILL WORRIED.  SOMETIMES THE FEELING IS AS IF MY EYE IS WATERING, THEN I GET THE FLASH OF LIGHT. I NOTICE THIS MORE WHEN I MAKE SUDDEN CHANGES IN BODY MOVEMENT.--TURNING AROUND IN BED , SITTING DOWN AND TURNING OF THE HEAD
What your surgeon told you is true in many cases. Continue to have him/her observe your eye for further changes.

use the search feature to read about flaoters.

JCH III MD
Thank you so much for your reply.  Does the flashing ever goes away?.  It seems to be worse at the end of my work day, especially when I am laying in bed.  On the second day after surgery I started wearing contact lens in my left eye, since I could no longer wear my old glasses.  I stop wearing the contact lens last week sunday because of the stress of trying to get it in and out of the eye.  Could I be straining the operated eye, and as a result contribute to the flashing ?.  Also, sometimes, just before the flash, I get a sensation as if there is tears comming out ot the eye, but nothing comes out.
THANKS AGAIN.VYONNIE
You need to ask YOUR SURGEON about these problems.

JCH III MD