Eye Care Community
Floaters in Right eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Floaters in Right eye

Hi All, I am a 29 year old male, suddenly started seeing floaters in my eyes, i see a cloud like shape in my left eye which moves along with the eye ball, i also see a gray dot in the center, I have one small dot in the right eye. Went to an eye specialist within 2 days of seeing the dots, She examined my eyes and said they were perfectly healthy and she cannot see debris or floaters, but i see them right in the middle. She also said nothing to worry about as of now.

I came back did some search on the net and found that most sites say that these floaters come and go on their own with age. They also say that the brain filters out them and they become less annoying after a while.

Just wanted to ask the same in this forum if there is a permanent treatment available for treating floaters?  
-
Cloudy shape floater's usually come from some form of trauma to forehead, like other floater's they too remain inside eye usually for the rest of life.

Currently no safe medical techniques are there to remove it, so ignoring is the best way to deal it as they are usually harmless.
No there is no safe, permanenent way of treating floaters.  Know that by age 50 half of us have floaters.  They eye specialist you saw should have been an Eye MD ophthalologist. If you saw a non MD optometrist then see a real eye MD  find one at www.aao.org

JCH MD
Hi Doc and Des900, thanks alot for the information, Regarding trauma to the forehead i never had such incidents as far as i remember.

And doc, i went and was examined at St Eriks Eye Hospital in Stockholm Sweden which is the country's best hospital, The doc put some pupil dilation drops and did a thorough examination of eye using some kind of slit lamp and also some other equipment, she also did some eye sight tests and told me the eye looks ok and she couldnt find any tears, optical nerve was ok and she also couldnt see any floaters in my eyes (although i see one in my right eye). She said only to come back if i see flashes which i dont see. Do you think i shuould get a second opinion?

Also Doc and Des900, after the pupils dilation drops were put i had lot of sensitivity to light for 2 days its getting better now, is it a common side effect? i didnt use sun glasses am now worried if it did some further damage to eye?
No you saw a welll trained ophthalmologist so unless something changes follow her advice. Sensitivity to light is common after dilation. No I think it unlikely it did any damage to your eyes.
JCH MD
Minor hitting near eye region can cause tiny unnoticeable pale cloudy floater, in some using antibiotic eye drops too can result in some kind of eye floater's & most of the floater's are caused with unknown reasons.

Concerning 2 day lasting dilation is caused by sensitivity to eye drops
next time ask them that your are sensitive to eye drops.

Dilation will not have caused permanent damage unless you have looked directly to sun or very intense strong lights like laser radiation.
Hello doc and des900, thanks alot for clearing my doubts and concerns, i started using Sun glasses as the nurse today told me that the effect of eye drops might last for few days and i should use sun glasses until then. Now my mind is free.

My mind is free now, have a great day
-
Hi Doc and Des900, Just a final question before i close this discussion. Even if there was some damage due to exposure of sunlight after pupil dilation without sunglasses. What would be the symptoms? And would that be shown in routine eye exams or the patient himself discovers it? Thanks again
Its very unlikely that you got permanent damage from dilation effect. Even if something happened it's very difficult to notice unless it affected a large portion of eye.
Thanks des900 for the information. Have a great day
Hello doc and des900, i know you ve cleared all my doubts before in this post,

Now its been two weeks since i had a dilated eye exam for the black cob web floater in my right eye and a small dot in my left eye, i never had flashes before but yesterday night when i was about to sleep, suddenly i could see something like blinking light in my eyes, its not a strong light, it disappeared once i open my eyes. Is it a flash or some kind of phenomenon?

Do flashes associated with PVD look like thëse? if not how do flashes usually look ?, i didnt see them again during the day and if i keep my eyes open, i only saw them once at night when i close my eyes.

The doc said i didnt have a PVD and my eyes were healthy i have normal eye sight, does having floaters increase the risk of PVD. Waiting eagerly for ur answers
It's probably due to anxiety & stress over eye issues, if your ophthalmologist told no sign of PVD, retina tear etc then its better to ignore these micro second length flashes, if you become more conscious about floater's & flashes you may become more aware of them, particularly floater's which usually doesn't go.

If the flashes is long & occupies much of vision area then its a good idea to make a second consultation with a reputed ophthalmologist & rule out any eye abnormalities.
Thanks des,  i have one more question the doc i visited, 2 weeks ago told me that she couldnt find any tears, optical nerve was ok and she also couldnt see any floaters in my eyes (although i see cloud in my right eye and small web in left).

My question here is if i didnt have PVD or any other problem, but since i see floaters now is there a chance i might develop flashes soon?
Most people have some sort of floater in their eyes and in most cases it doesn't cause any future problem like retina holes, flashes etc

Floater's are just an after effect of some kind of disturbance inside eye structure's and usually will not cause further problems. Flashes may occur if any new problem arise which may not be due to previous floater so it's not possible to tell new flashes is a result of existing floaters.

If you experience flashes combined with new floater's then consult a good eye doctor as it may be an indication of some retina problems.
Thanks for clarifying des, as you said, may be my anxiety regarding floaters made me see some kind of flashes that night, i never had them again.

I am so bothered by these floaters as when ever the floater cloud come into my field of vision i can see that area become blurry, i need to move my eyes to clear the floater and hence the blurriness.

Do you think most of these cloud floaters drop down below the field of vision after some time? I also heard that brain would filter such floaters is it true?
If you bow the head down for few seconds and quickly look upward & look side by side on a plane sky you can see most of the floater's in the eye.

If you fully accept these floater's as harmless substance then all unwanted worries related to floater will go away also brain will filter out these from your vision.

In most cases floater's will not go away fully it may get split into smaller sizes or shapes when time passes, also some white floaters may turn to black or grayish over time.
I agree des, may be i shud stop worrying abt these damm floaters and move on thanks for all your information  and thanks to dr John, becoz of which my anxiety is reduced