Eye Care Community
Giant tear led to ratina detachemet,macula was off

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Male 57 years with cataract surgery in both eyes  (IoL) done 4 years ago (genetics),had spontaneous RD because of PVD. Had YaG laser done after 6 months on right eye
Saw black half moon (near nose) in right eye,was told detachment was in upper peripheral,  rushed to opthamologist who in turn referred to RD surgeon for emergency surgery in 1 day.. Pre-operative eye sight was 20/100.with macula off.
I am post 40 days post vitrectomy and Laser procedure with 35 % C3F8 gas still present in eye. Postoperative checkup today showed eye sight to be 20/25. Even staff at doctor's office was surprized with progress.
Everyday there is incremental improvement.but I still wonder whether use of C3F8 gas was overkill ?
There is still some inflammation near laser repair area so doctor asked me to continue pedrecelone drops (once a day) for another 4-5 weeks. I still see things little smaller, peripheral vertical lines appear wavy and slight low in light perception (night vision) in operated eye. Doctor asked me to still sleep on either side till bubble is gone ? Why  if my current right eye sight is 20/25. Little perplexed actually bothered with bubble still present.
Tags: tear
Your result of 20/25 is exceptional and for that you should be extremely grateful. Continue to follow your RD surgeon recommendation regarding positioning. The bubble is to hold retina in place while adhesions for to hold it in place permanently.

Use of gas has dramatically increased the success of your type of surgery so its not overkill

Your other eye is at high risk for RD. Watch carefully and see the RD surgeon regularly.

JCH MD

JCH MD
Thanks for clarifying importance of gas bubble used.
Actually, two small tears were also observed in left eye, which were closed with Laser (onprecausionary basis). Do you think risk Rd is still there ?
I am really gratfeul to RD surgeon for getting my eye sight to 20/25 that quickly. I heard RD doctor mumbling that he see's "mild Sheen"? in my operated eye.
Do you think present gas will have any effect on my implanted IoL like coulding (as in natural lens) or some other complication.
Thanks again
Yes your risk of RD in both eyes is higher than normal.  If you IOL not made out of silicon risk is low if silicon higher risk.

You would have to ask surgeon what "sheen" means to him/her
JCH MD