Eye Care Community
How do I fix a messed up eyelid?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

How do I fix a messed up eyelid?

I woke up yesterday from a nap and my left eyelid was messed up. At first I was not very concerned and attributed the problem to a lack of sleep. I figured that if I got a good nights sleep the problem would fix itself. But I woke up this morning and it was still messed up! It feels really weird when I blink, like my eyelid is really heavy, and my eyes aren't puffy or anything. Does anyone know why this has happened, if it will be permanent, and how I can fix it?
Tags: eyelids
Describing an eyelid as "messed up" does not allow a construction of possibilites. Suggest you see an ophthalmologist: ask your personal physician for a referral.

JCH MD
I should have been more clear.

By messed up I mean that there are more creases in my eyelid than usual, and that it is now larger than it used to be.  I also noticed that my left eye is kind of sticky.  My eye isn't pink but could it be conjunctivitis?  Are excess creases a side effect of conjunctivitis?
conjunctivitis does not normally effect the lids.  Allergic reactions, styes and irritation are possible explanations.

If this persists you will need to see an Eye MD

JCH MD
the most likely  thought as a sleeper and an eye doc is that you moved around during the night and slept deeply on that side of the face creasing your lid margins, making your eye a bit puffier and blurrier vision temporarily.
Try to use cool compresses on the lid with that eye closed only gently for 5-10 minutes, with a tapping motion and then take a long warm (not hot shower) and let the water run over your lids with your eyes closed. Do not use any drops except preservative free artificial tears. Try learning to sleep on your back with two pillows to elevate your head and avoid salty foods at bedtime like pizza, popcorn , cured foods and fast food. Chinese is the worse for sodium. Creases always get worse if you sleep with your face in the pillow. Over time it will improve. However if it is itchy, really swollen or the lid really droops see your optometrist or medical eye doc.
=