Eye Care Community
Is a multifocal IOL suitable for high myopic patient?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I was told that for cataract surgery, a multifocal lens (IOL lens) is not the best choice for patient with myopia greater than -4 D.  In those cases, a regular (not multifocal) would be the best choice.  Does anyone have more info on this? Can anyone help me with that?  
It can work in a myope of -4.  However, my preference is a Crystalens.

Dr. O.
Thank you for the quick response. I understand that for a myopic -4 a multifocal lens can work but would nor be your prefered choice. What would you suggest for myopia of -8 or -9? Would your prefered choice be the same?
Thank you again !
I should clarify that what I was trying to confirm was : for cataract surgery, is if a multifocal lens useful or not if the myopia is -8 or -9 or if is a regular lens (not multifocal) the better choice to make considering that with -8 or -9 the multifocal may not ad to the patient's vision?
Thank you again.
Thank you again. .