Eye Care Community
Itchy, burning, blistered eyes
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Itchy, burning, blistered eyes

About 2 weeks ago, my eyes started itching severely and I just assumed it was pollen allergies. Then one morning I woke up with my eyes swollen shut and red. I used a washcloth compress to get the swelling down and the eyes continued to be red and swollen and itchy and I noticed little blisters kind of like what I get when I wear cheap jewelry and get a chemical reaction from the metal. I have tried some Zatidor eyedrops-antihistime twice daily. It does seem to help a little inside the eye (very little).  I got some Benedryl cream (pharmacist recommendation) and put lightly on my eyelids but it burned so badly when I put it on due to the eyelid being raw, that I quickly took it back off. I then tried corticosteroid cream (second pharmacist recommendation) lightly. It seemed to ease it a little, but I was afraid to use much because my lids were so raw from the swelling and itching that I was afraid it would make the skin of the lid too thin. So, I have been putting a thin layer of vaseline on my eyelids because the rawness and blisters have dried the lids so much they are peeling and so dry that they hurt really badly. This morning I woke up and my eyes were quite worse than they have been since this whole thing started. They are really swollen and red and itchy but painful too. The little blisters seem to be spreading to below my eyes now too and they are weeping a clear fluid.  What could be causing this? Could it be eczema? Psoriasis? Allergies? Herpes of the eye? Please tell me what else I can do to ease this!!  I have never really had allergies bad- other than if I petted a cat for too long- I have no insurance and can't really afford to go to the doctor with this but I can't take much more. Thanks in advance for your time!  
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
Eczema on both lids of both eyes would be unusual. The most common cause would be hypersensitivity reaction of eyelids due to exotoxin production of staphlococcus aureous colonizing your eyelids due to blepharitis. Again that is just the most common cause.

CJH MD