Eye Care Community
Mole in the eye, near tearduct

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Mole in the eye, near tearduct

I've a black mole in my right eye near the tearduct. My surgeon says its a benign ligament that is safe to remove.

Should I remove it?

I have no visual problems with it throughout my 23 years of life but it looks scary and ugly to me. I can see that there's normal tearduct (pink healthy one) besides it. The mole could probably have grown larger as I grew up since I first noticed it when I was in elementary school.

What are the risk implications and what will usually happen post-surgery?
All this information needs to come from the surgeon who has examined you. The decision needs to come from you. We cannot help in this case.
JCH MD
JCH MD
Alright guys!

I just got it removed today! Surgery was super fast and my surgeon was really nice. It's a form of pigmentation as I read from my surgeon's scribbled writings on the surgery form. Either way, I was thinking of putting a picture of it on wikipedia so that future med practioners/patients will be informed of this..
Glad it went well. JCH MD