Mole in the eye, near tearduct

I've a black mole in my right eye near the tearduct. My surgeon says its a benign ligament that is safe to remove.

Should I remove it?

I have no visual problems with it throughout my 23 years of life but it looks scary and ugly to me. I can see that there's normal tearduct (pink healthy one) besides it. The mole could probably have grown larger as I grew up since I first noticed it when I was in elementary school.

What are the risk implications and what will usually happen post-surgery?
All this information needs to come from the surgeon who has examined you. The decision needs to come from you. We cannot help in this case.
JCH MD
Alright guys!

I just got it removed today! Surgery was super fast and my surgeon was really nice. It's a form of pigmentation as I read from my surgeon's scribbled writings on the surgery form. Either way, I was thinking of putting a picture of it on wikipedia so that future med practioners/patients will be informed of this..
Glad it went well. JCH MD
hello, i suddenly found a mole brownish black on my right lower eyelid close to my tear duct. i dont have a mole in that area before and now i just notice that i grown one. it's not one of those that you can feel or looks like a skin tag. it just there on my skin by my eye.... i am worried... is this something i should be concerned? and which doctor should i ask for help on this kind of matter?
Any time--any time--a mole suddenly appears, it's time to have a doctor take a look at it.