Eye Care Community
Monovision surgery for athlete

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Monovision surgery for athlete

hi, I am 52 and very active in tennis. Is monovision surgery an option for me? It seems depth perception would be a problem. Thanks for any help.
I love to play golf and tennis with people that do monovision. I've made a few house payments off them.  Try playing your next tennis match with one eye shut. If you're really serious about tennis, golf, shooting sports, etc. think long an hard  before you jump off the deep end with monovision.

JCH III MD Eye Physician and Surgeon
I'm sure that Dr. Hagan's point is valid.  Can you try monovision (or modified monovision) with contact lenses before you take the surgical plunge?  Then you'd know exactly how it would affect your game.  You might also consider surgical monovision but wear a contact lens or glasses to reverse the monovision when you tennis.  (A one-day disposable contact like Acuvue Moist would work quite well for this purpose, and it's extremely comfortable.)  That might give you the best of both worlds.
Thanks for your help.
Thanks for commenting. A contact was one of the options suggested. When I first considered surgery, I thought I would have near perfect up close and distance vision. Monovision came from way out in left field. Now I am just trying to get as much info as possible from folks like you.
I really appreciate your thoughts
I have had monovision surgery, and I vote for it. No longer have to wear glasses, only to read the finest print. Distance vision is good. So I would do it again if I had to go back. There is only one fly in the ointment. That is I cannot read the distance chart with both eyes. No one seems to talk about anywhere that I can find. Also the Eye Surgeons seem to not want to address it either, that I have ask. And it is deaming up in front of me before long. How on earth do you pass the drivers test to get your license renewed?
They always have you cover one eye and then the other, for reading the letters chart at a distance. No problem with the distance eye, but I can't read it with the closeup eye!
Does anyone have an answer?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello Terrianne    In almost all states you only have to have one eye to drive legally. That is if you had an accident or a disease that destroyed one eye you could still drive without glasses if your vision was 20/40 or 20/50 (varies from state to state) without glasses. If the vision in the eye was worse than 20/50 but corrected with glasses then the person would have to wear glasses to drive.

In your case if your far away eye sees 20/40 or better you should be able to pass the best based on the good distance eye. It makes not one witt if the other eye for reading sees 20/200 at distance. If you have trouble passing the test at the driver's bureau most states will allow your eye surgeon Ophthalmologist to fill the form out if you pass the test in their office.

Most of my monvision patients still have glasses that eye wear for night driving, movies and when they want their best vision with BOTH eyes either to see far away or read up close.

JCH III MD Eye Physician and Surgeon
Thank you, and bless you for responding to my fears. I truly am relieved and encouraged. I could not imagine how I would get by without my drivers license. Just yesterday my husband had an eye appointment and ask his OD about this. (at the surgery center where his lasic surgery was done) He said that California DMV doesn't recognize monovision, and that his suggestion would be to just tell them that he has a lazy eye??

I will have the glasses made, and be ready with confidence. I knew contacts could not work, and yet I had not uderstood that glasses could work. So thank you again, for both the speedy response, and for this wonderful forum where we can come for help.
I've never been able to figure out how or why they do things as they do in California.

JCH III MD
Dear Dr Hagan III
I am due for cataract surgery in my right eye. Left eye is fine. I would like to get rid of glasses( I need for driving only) so that I could play tennis better. What implant lens do you recommend? Is ResTore an option? Best regards
Kris Pan