Eye Care Community
Pain behind the left eye and slight blurred vision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I have been experiencing pain behind my left eye that comes when I move my eye in any direction, squeeze my eyes tightly, or open them very wide.  The pain is a shooting stabbing pain, starting behind the eye/under the eyelid and shooting up to my forehead and to the side through my temple and near the ear.  The pain stays to the front top left of my head and after the initial stabbing pain, it decreases slowly to a throbbing painful ache.  That pain lingers until I move the eye again to cause the stabbing pain.  There is also slight blurred/hazy vision in my left eye.  I wear contacts, my prescription is -10 in both eyes.  My right eye is fine.  
I went to my ophthalmologist and she performed a number of tests. there was nothing on the surface of my eye, inside my eye, or behind my eye that would indicate any problems.  She tested the nerves and the pressure, both were fine.  No infection or swelling was found, but she prescribed Tobradex and told me to come back in five days and if at that time, there were no changes, she would dilate the eye to see if there was anything she couldn't see before.  
I have been using the eye drops since Tuesday night w/ no changes.  The pain is still constant.  I have been taking 800mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours as well (about 3 times a day) but it only mutes the pain, doesn't completely take it away.

I am worried that since nothing was wrong with the eye that it could be something else.  My doc said that she has never before seen these symptoms, so I thought I would see if anyone else has.  What should I do or who should I go to next?  I don't know if I can wait until Sat for another test that won't give me any answers.  
Sharp pain is usually indicative of a corneal or conjunctival problem.  Try leaving you contact lens out for a day and see if it help.  Follow-up with your eye doctor.  I doubt anything in the retina or vitreous is causing this problem.
It almost sounds kind of like trigeminal neuralgia-type pain, but I may be way off base here. Do you have any other strange symptoms?
The pain originally was only when the eye moved, or I sneezed, laughed or anything that put pressure on my eye. Now the pain has stretched from the top of my head on the left side to my cheekbone and left side of my nose to my ear.  The pain is constant and the blurred vision is getting worse.  I get nauseous from the pain sometimes and ibuprofen isn't helping relieve any of it anymore.  Also, the brown bone and eye are now tender to the touch and the lids feel tighter.  Like if I try to open my eyes real wide, the left one is tighter and doesn't open as much.  But on tues, there was no swelling, per the eyeMD.
The only other weird thing going on is that I had a cold sore last week.  I never in my life have had one and I don't know if it is related, but it was definitely different.  
I also had some pretty bad congestion the week before as well.  But that is normal for me since I have a history of sinus problems.  But no pain ever like this pain behind the eye.

What exactly is "trigeminal neuralgia-type pain"
I left my contacts out all day yesterday.  I thought that maybe the Tobradex wasn't working b/c I had my contacts in, so I tried them with out.  Last night was when the pain spread down to the cheekbone and nasal area.  
Also, the eyeMD said that my corneas were fine.  

I also just realized that the blurred vision is actually little squiggly horizontal lines that seem to be scattered around.  I can only see the lines when I close my right eye and the lines are somewhat bluish and they don't move or anything, they just kind of are everywhere.  I can still see out of the left eye, but the lines are more noticeable.  
If you are in that much pain, I would see your doctor again and ask for something stronger or to be re-evaluated. If the ophthalmologist cannot figure it out eventually, she should send you to some other specialist.

The trigeminal nerve controls sensation (thus pain) in the face. But trigeminal neuralgia is usually a sharp, electric-like stabbing pain on one side of the face. Who knows what is causing your pain. I hope you find out, and please let us know.
Well, I went back this morning for my eyes to be dilated and some other tests.  Basically, my occipital or optic (I can't remember which one) is inflamed.  She said that a number of things could be wrong based on my symptoms.  MS, brain tumor, fluid pressure on my brain...  Or it could be nothing all together.  She referred me to a neuro-ophthalmologist for an MRI and hopefully we'll be able to narrow it down from there.  I'll keep you updated
NikiT.   Your symptoms are so much like mine.  Sorry, I am new and couldn't figure this board out and left a note.  However, I too had the cold sore, then a cold virus, and a red bloody eye.   My pain has not been as sharp as yours however.  I am nauseous - but it comes and goes, and when I feel nauseous I am very weak like I may pass out or faint.  My left eye is achy, especially on movement to the side.  I get a sharp stabbing pain in the left side of my head straight out from the corner of my left eye and above my ear, then it radiates in a circle pattern.   It goes away for a couple days, then is back.  My opthalmologist found nothing wrong except I am getting cataracts.  It is eerie how much your symptoms sound like mine, including the cold sore/fever blister.  I have had cold sore/fever blister before, but this one was different.  It had an extra bump right above the blister and under my nose.   I was hoping the opthanmologist could help find what is wrong and help me with the pain on movement of my eye, but he did not say anthing about tumors or anything like that.  I believe they can be detected by a good opthalmologist.   My cold virus has lasted a long time, and I think the two may have some connection, although I have had achy eyes before starting 3 years ago.