Eye Care Community
Pink eye with watery-bloody discharge

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Pink eye with watery-bloody discharge

My husband has had pink eye for over a week now.  He was given both antibiotic drops and antibiotic tablets, but they never went away. So, we're suspecting that it's viral conjunctivitis. His left eye, which is the most infectected-looking just keeps having watery discharge. Just tonight, I noticed a reddish spot on his pillow, and realized that it was blood. It looked like it was blood mixed with the watery discharge. He's not complaining of pain or blurry vision. Could this be something serious?
Likely not and the failure to respond to antibiotics and the watery discharge likely does indicate a viral cause. If it reoccurs or persists call the MD that prescribed the drops to discuss.

JCH MD
Thank you for the very quick response.  What could cause the bloody discharge, then?  I just hate seeing blood and I've been scouring for information about bloody eye discharge with pink eye but I could not find any information about it.  It definitely doesn't look like a subconjunctival hemorrhage or something.
the infected part of the eye (conjunctiva) has a huge network of tiny capillaries. The infection can cause erosion on the surface and some leakage from these delicate thin walled blood vessels
JCH MD
He woke up this morning and there was no bleeding anymore.  Although he woke up at 3am and saw that the blood looked like it came from his left tear duct (not sure).  He used Visine maximum redness relief before he went to bed.  I was wondering if that had anything to do with the bleeding?  
By the way, thank you for that information.  For some reason, I'm getting more information through you than from his doctor.  I really appreciate your help.