Eye Care Community
Rainbow like halo/slightly blurred vision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I went to bed late this morning (4am) and my eyes were fine. It was a long night of drinking, and i woke up at 9am really thirsty, but i noticed that i had this larger rainbow halo like spot that i see. I cannot see anything physically in my eye. But when i blink, or go from light to dark areas i can see it. Also, it that particular area of my eye the vision is slightly blurred. What could this be? I cant get in to see an eye doctor untilt Monday and its sat. now, and im panicking! Please help.

To clear things up, i have no pain, i do not see halos around lights... lights dont bother my eye. Its just one halo in my left eye. Comparable to the effects of staring at the sun for a second or two and then closing your eyes and blinking.
That problem can be due to some things that are serious including small blockages of the arteries and veins of the retina or leakage of fluid in the retina or pressure problems.

I suggest you contact an ophthalmologists' answering service and plan to get examined within the next 24 hours.

And drop the heavy drinking its not good for you or your eyes

JCH MD
Dr. Hagan, should i go to the ER or is it ok to wait until tommorow morning to get this check out?
I would wait to see an ophthalmologist tomorrow, you would probably have to wait to see one til then anyway, and that is who you need to see.
-
I have a similar problem and it happens frequently.  normally after I exercise i see a blurry halo in my vision.  it normally takes food and sleep for it to go away.  what should i do?
Russ  see an ophthalmologist. Find one at www.aao.org or John Hamill MD in the DC area is very good.

JCH MD