Eye Care Community
Recent Crystalens/Tecnis experiences (2011-2012)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I am looking at lens replacement for cataract in the next month.  Still debating whether to go monofocal, multifocal, or accommodating.   Most of the stories on this site seem to be horror stories of lens replacements gone bad (for non-monofocal lens).
Does anyone have any positive experiences to share or is it mostly bad?
On the opposite side of the story, most surgery and vendor websites only tell the positive success stories and about how everyone is so happy with their multifocal/accommodating implants.
I just want a realistic view.  No sugar coating, but less doom and gloom.  
I am not expecting perfect 30-year old eyes, but it would be nice to only need glasses < 20% of the time, so I am still considering the non-monofocal options.
However, after reading a lot of postings here, I would like to avoid complications if that is at all possible.
Use the search function.  I have explained why I do not use multifocal IOLs and prefer a Crystalens ( I have one in one of my eyes).

Dr. O.
Thanks for the response.  I have been using the search function - over and over again.  This is how I have found all the less-than-positive stories about the implants.
I did a specific search for Crystalens and I get the same stories I have seen before - every one of them tells of a post-surgical complication with Crystalens.  And all of these are from back prior to 2008.
I am looking for RECENT success stories to balance out what I have seen so far, but I am assuming that when it works, people usually don't post.

I am glad to hear that Crystalens did work for you.  If you could recommmend what term to use when searching, that would be most appreciated.
Thanks again!
Many of the problems reported are more recent than 2008, for instance, see "Many problems with Crystalens".  If you can, get 3 examinations/ opinions as to what would work for you, and once you decide find a surgeon who has years of experience using the lens you have chosen. and with whom you ommunicate well. There seem to  be almost no problems with the standard lenses in use over 40 years I believe.  You may need glasses for reading, but this happens with Crystalens as well.   Dr. O, who is both a retina and refractive eye surgeon, chose Crystalens for his own eye after evaluating his particular needs and eye issues. His surgery was done by an expert.  After my bad experience, my view is that many refractive surgeons are just getting to know the new lenses, they believe  the advertising hype themselves.  Watch out for false advertising.  Most people never need glasses again is a great selling point.  But is is fair when the small print suggests that  51%  never needed glasses again.
I have two multifocal lenses, implanted a couple of years ago for cataracts, and I am beyond delighted.  Mine are the reStore D1, not the models you are thinking about, but the same factors that guided my surgeon regarding what implants he chose are the ones I think you should be considering.  It really isn't a matter of deciding on the one you like best, as if you had an unlimited smorgasbord of options to choose from.  You have to have the right eyes for a particular lens, and one size does NOT fit all, although some overenthusiastic surgeons might be more inclined to generalize.

My surgeon described me as an excellent candidate for my reStor lenses for these reasons:

I had always been 'far sighted,' with a short eyeball front to back.

I had almost no astigmatism.

My pupils are relatively small.

My retinas were healthy.

My expectations were modest:  I was OK with the idea of using glasses after the surgery--even though it turned out to be unnecessary.

Look for a surgeon who is thoughtful, and ask him/her what lenses would be especially suitable for the anatomy of your eye, the health of your retina, and for your particular needs and expectations.  Look for a doc who takes a lot of measurements.  If he/she does not know or is not interested in the internal dimensions of your eyeball (there are machines for determining this kind of thing), then beware.
Thanks to everyone for the responses.  The Crystalens thread has been very helpful - I had seen it before, but failed to notice that the later dates are more recent.   I am disappointed that the Crystalens do not seem to be working out for most people here and that there are only a few success stories on here.  That is a view of reality that I have to factor in to my decision.
achillea  -  I am happy to hear of your success with the ReStor multifocal and the criteria you provided is helpful to add to my list of questions.
I do not have any unrealistic expectations of having perfect vision after cataract surgery, but I do not want my story to end up like so many people here.  At this point, Crystalens sounds like a gamble - might work, but might not.  I think I will take a harder look at the multi-focals and keep the monofocal in mind as the sure bet!

Does anyone have advice on how to do background or success checks on surgeons?  Of course they all say they have done a lot of surgeries and have good success rates.   I looked at the Castle Connolly site, but I am not convinced that it it presenting a list of the "best" doctors.

Thanks again!
I have MILD macular degeneration and had a ReSTOR multifocal lens implanted and, long story short, I now have incorrectable blurring of vision.  The new doctor that I went to said that he will not install multifocal lenses because of the too common issues with them.
I had Crystalens implanted in Rt eye Jan and Lt eye in March 2012. MAKE SURE THE DOCTOR YOU CHOSE HAS DONE 100's or 1000's of Crystalens Surgeries! I can't stress this enough!!! I had to have my first eye redone after a very reputable eye surgeon placed the lens incorrectly. It's a VERY tricky lens to place correctly. I found another Dr. ( Dr Micheal Kelly) who explanted that lens and replaced it. I could have saved myself alot of pain and anguish by asking the first surgeon how many Crystalens he had implanted. Ends up, he had only done about 75. He never volunteered that info. Dr. Kelly has done over 20,000. Now, as far as the results? Is my vision perfect? No, it is not. But I am happy with my results. I have "functional" 20/20 vision, which means,I can do most things without glasses.I have floaters, and bits of filmy things ( vitreous humor)  floating in both eyes.I have learned to ignore them. My vision varies greatly with the amount of natural light. I would not suggest that anyone living in a cloudy area like Seattle have these lens implanted. I also would not recommend ANY premium lens to someone who has had previous Lasik. It is very difficult to get a good result on eyes that have had any vision surgery.   On a bright sunny day, I can read very fine print with no reading glasses. In a dimly lit restaurant, or on a cloudy day indoors,or at dusk outdoors I need weak readers. I passed my drivers test without glasses, but I will need a pair to wear while driving strange towns , as i don't read the street signs as well as I would like.My intermediate vision is good. I use the computer without glasses. I have noticed that it takes my eyes a few minutes to adjust to close up vision. Also, my eyes are more sensitive to light. I think most people have this surgery thinking that their vision will be as clear as it is with the glasses or contacts that they are used to. That is not the case. You will probably be slightly nearsighted and slightly farsighted, as I am, after surgery. I do not have halos or ghosting- problems I have heard occur with some other lens. If you want crystal clear vision after your cataracts are removed, I think your best bet is a standard monovision lens with glasses or contacts. If you want to function in daily activities without contacts or glasses, and don't mind using them sometimes, then you might be happy with these lens.
Can any one PM me with the names of surgeons who will do a crystalens explant?  Thank you.

Cassie