Eye Care Community
Recurring Red Eyes After Waking Up

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Recurring Red Eyes After Waking Up

I have been wearing contacts for 5 years probably, and I have had problems with red eyes in the last year. Never had problems before that. These past 3 months have been horrible, I have been waking up with bloodshot eyes every morning. Thinking it was my contact, I did not wear them for those months and still everyday my eyes would be red. If I use just dry eyes drop, the redness will not go away, but if I use the "get the red out" drops the redness goes away in about 5 minutes.My red eyes don't come with other symptoms like runny nose, or red face, sneezing. I am 100% sure I don't have AIDS/HIV. I don't think I have that blepharitis, because my eyelashes are clean.Also I just got a whole year worth of contacts, I use the 2 week soft disposable kind, I can only wear the contacts 1 day, if I wear the same brand new contact the next day, I will get pink eye for about 2-3 days. I AM ALLERGIC TO MY CONTACTS? WHAT COULD I HAVE? WOULD IT BE BETTER IF I JUST GOT THOSE HARD 1 MONTH CONTACTS?
99.9% of the time these problems are from the contacts (not fitting, losing the ability to wear them, damaged contacts, allergy to cleaning solutions, dry eyes, etc).

Stop wearing the contacts and see a ophthalologist or optometrists that does contacts refits. please bear in mind that the drop our rate to contacts gets higher and higher as we get older that's why there aren't that many 50 and 60 year olds wearing contacts.

JCH MD
Thanks for the post.
Why do think my eyes have been bloodshot when waking up, if I am not wearing my contacts? When I go to sleep my eyes are NOT bloodshot. I have read that if you are having chronic red eyes it could be a underlying disease, what kind of diseases do you think would cause red eyes every morning, of the top of your head? My friend said that he had a problem just like this and he said it was his liver.
Do you think they could have messed up my prescription and given me 1 day contact lenses instead of 2 week contacts?
When you wear ill fitting contacts the cornea becomes numb as a protective mechanism. When you take them out over several hours the feeling returns and it causes pain and dilation of the eye blood vessels giving the bloodshot look.

I have no idea about your replacement sources for contacts.

JCH MD
i am having the same issue..I have been wearing my contacts for past 2 years and all of sudden this month my eyes would get red when take my contacts out and i never overused them and i clean them everyday. When i went to doctor he prescribed me eye infection drug (tobramycin) and then it went away and came back again after few days. After that doctor said it was not an eye infection but rather pinguecula and he prescribed me lotemax. I have not wear my contacts for 3 weeks now and i put them on yester day for 4 hours and my started to get red and i took them out.
I don't know what's going on.