Eye Care Community
SCARRING OF THE RETINA

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

SCARRING OF THE RETINA

Is having scarring in the back of the retina a common problem?  Is surgery to make a correction dangerous?  How could the scarring occur?
Tags: vision
Scarring on the back of the eye is very common. The retina reacts like other tissue to trauma, inflammation, disease, etc.  Any surgery might be called dangerous. Vitreo-retinal surgery is major eye surgery. You need to get "informed consent" from your surgeon.

JCH III MD
My 17 yr old son was just diagnosed with a scar on his retina near the center of his vision.  He is 6'4", while playing basketball he  received a strike by an elbow to his R eye orbit  last March, the blurring just started a week ago. He has had the micro pictures taken and a confirmed  football shaped scar near the machula.  Could you explain Vitreo-retinal surgery, and  can it  remove a scar in the gel of his eye? We are going to see a retinal specialist in September, any information would be appreciated.
Vitreo-retinal surgery is a complex issue that involves many operations done for many indications. If the vision is bad and the scar on the surface of the retina it can sometimes be removed in a procedure called a membrane peel.

It's much easier to understand with pictures and diagrams. Use Google and search "vitreoretinal surgery". There are numerous postings, aimed at patients available, many have diagrams and illustrations.  

Your surgeon will explain further when you go in for the evaluation.

Good Luck. Be sure you son wears proper eye protection for all contact and racquet sports and for all eye injury possible activities (mowing, weed eaters, firearms, power tools, etc

JCH III MD
I have a scar in my left eye that I was born with.  A doctor that I saw at the time I was born told my parents that I was only the second person in his 26 year medical career to ever have this scar.  The scar has greatly effected my vision in my left eye, and without glasses I can barely see out of it.  I'm just curious of what the scar is called; if there is even a condition for this type of scarring.  The doctor at the time stated that it is a very rare scar, and I just visited my eye doctor recently, but forgot to ask her what the condition was.  I was hoping that you could answer that question.  I don't know if it is on the cornea, lens, or retina, but as I wrote a few moments ago, it is extremly rare.  any information would be appreciated, thank you.
It's not possible to postulate a name for "the scar". Get on the phone and call your ophthalmologist and ask for the diagnosis.

JCH III MD
I'm a 44 year old male who as a young lad of 8 years looked through an unpolarized telescope at a solar eclipse causing a slight but very noticable blind spot in my right eye.  I have never had it looked at,  the spot is slightly translucent but it's very noticable when shuting my left eye.  My question is this is this type of scaring opperable and if so can my vision be restored to a normal state even after so many years.  Any feedback would help greatly thank you for your time.
Your problem is called "solar maculopathy" generally it is not helped by any type of treatment. That macula may be more suseptible to age related macular degeneration as you grow older. Use the search feature and archives to read about the things you can do to reduce the risk of ARMD. Also you need to see an Eye MD ophthalmologist yearly as the incidence of eye disease increases after age 40.

JCH MD
Hello, i'm 21 years old. I was diagnosed with toxoplasmosis. Recently the scarring in my left eye that was caused by this congenital disease was activated. I had inflammation of my eye, which caused the scarring to get bigger. Currently it is deactivated, but I was told that it may come back any time; and when it does, I could lose my vision in my left eye. The scar is currently about 1mm away from affecting my vision. Is there anything that I could do to prevent the inflammation from reoccuring, or anything I could do to prevent my left eye from going blind? I've seen that you talk about vitreoretinal surgery. would this help me? Thank you for your time.
I had an accident when I was 10yrs and a nail got into my right eye. There was surgery done that stiched the sore in my eye. This has left a scar on my right eye and rendered me blind on that eye. I am 26 years now. Is there a surgical procedure the can help me regain my sight on the right eye ?
I have quite bad retinal scarring in both eyes, luckily mostly round the edges of the retinas but some further in which has made 'thinner' patches of retina. This means I have little lights in my eyes a lot of the time. Apparantly it was caused by a virus which caused the jelly layer in my eyes to turn to liquid and sink causing scarring. I didn't even know I had a virus, may have just thought I had a bit of a headache one time. Had another eye test today and was told that the scars are about 5-10 years old. Got a really good view of it from the pictures of retinal scan.

Victoria
My son is an MMA fighter. He was told by his eye dr that he has a retinal scar and if he continues to fight, he could go blind with just one hard blow to the head and/or eye area.  

Is there any type of surgery that can be done to remove the scar and make it possible for him to continue fighting? If yes, what would be the name of the surgery for which I would ask my doctor to consider.
I have been recovering from a freak accident where a forein object was 3 inches into my head just below my left eye. Im lucky to be alice and still have my eye. I had ocular plastic surgery and was give implants of a new orbital floor and rim because both were blown out. My only problem now is dealing with retinal and macular hemmorages (im a terrible speller). The hemmorages have been clearin and my vision improved from 20/400 to 20/200, it was 20/20 before the trauma (I am almost 4 weeks post trauma). I turned 18 in an induced coma a day after the accident. I am concerned about scar tissue in my retina after the blood clears. Do you think I have any chance of full recovery or will there be any breakthroughs in retinal treatment in the neasr future? Also, do you have any reccomondations for every day lifestyle that can improve vision such as diets w. lutien. Your opinion is well appretiated.

-fio
is has been years now i have an injury  in my eye pupil that left a scar is there any kind of operation for it
My 3 yr old daughter has been diagnosed with this problem, and they say she has no chance of regaining her sight in her right eye due to the scarring, yet you can see with the help of glasses? So maybe glasses would help her?
have a problem with my right,two scars on my right watt can i do,could that problem heal,having blury vision
had red eye about 6mths ago,after that i start 2 see blury,when 2 a eye specialist,they told me that i have 2 scars on my right eye,my doctor pescribe eye,but its not wrking,wat medication could i used for this 2 go away.
I have multiple sclerosis & I have had optic neuritis in the past. Right now my Optic Nerve is fine but "pale" as the dr. put it. He did however tell me that I have "unknown" scarring on my retina. He mentioned a possible plasmosis but stated unknown scaring. I am going to a specialist soon but does anyone know what this sounds like?
I am a 29 yr old female and when I was in in grade 7 my vision in my left eye started going blurry and by grade 8 it was completely blind. After countless specialist appt they told me there was tons of scaring on my retina that they think was caused by a parasite getting in!!! I was told my vision in that eye will never come back. I have lived with this for so long now it is just normal to me now but my right eye is starting to get strained/ tired easily now As I get older. I have not been back to a specialist in years and was wondering if there are any new things that can be done to help or even bring back my sight? Thx!
A blood vessel burst in my left eye causing a retinal scar and blurred vision. Can this be fixed?
My dad has retinal scarring. It started in his left eye a couple of years ago, and is now in his right eye. The opthmalogist said they do not know the reason for the scarring. He had cataract surgery abou 5 years ago, Wondering if this has anything to do with the scarring. His eye sight is becoming terribly worse. Is there anything he can do, vitamins? medication? surgery?
I had the crystalens implanted in both my eyes 3 months ago and my vision is horrible.  Halos, blurred vision, can't see far.  I live in the Seattle area.  Does anyone know doctors who specialize in this problem in my area?