Eye Care Community
Spot In Vision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Spot In Vision

I am 40 year old male, who recently discovered a couple small 'permanent' spots just under my right eye's field of vision.  They are especially noticable when I transistion contrasts between light and dark objects or bright/dark lit rooms - venitian blinds are the worst.  It resembles a camera flash after image but only sort of dark green.  It is not a floater, I know what those are.  I went to my optomitrist.  It showed up on an Amsler grid, blocking out the lines for a couple seconds until my eye 'corrected' for it.  I only see it if I am looking for it or delibrately switching from light to dark or blinking fast.  Leaving my eyes open and moving them around doesn't seem to cause too much contrast so I don't see it much then.

My doc did a serious test of the retina with detailed photos and found what he called a very subtle 'burned spot' from looking at bright lights (like welding arc or the sun as a kid) and determined that it could be caused from that.  I told him that it increases in size and intensity/number in that same general area with exersion - he called that a pressure phosphane.  

I have had spots like these in both eyes before - but 95% only last for a few seconds/minutes.  I have experienced these type of 'spots' for 20+ years.  While this 'permanent' spot is exactly the same color as those that are more fleeting - this one concerned me becasue it has stuck around for about 9 months where the others have all faded away in seconds or minutes.  I asked my doc if this problem could be neurological in nature and he said that he didn't think so.  However, I am not so sure.  I don't want to be overly anxious about this, but it makes me wonder that since this is not going away, if I would be worth seeing an neuro-opthamologist instead.

What do these symptoms sound like to you and do you think it warrants seeing a neuro-specialist?
Yes it would be worth seeing a neuroophthalmologist. Find one near you at www.aao.org

JCH MD
Thanks for the input.  Any idea what my symptoms might point toward?  
Retina/Macular disease and neurological disease need to be excluded.

JCH MD
OK, R/M like retinal detatch and neurological like MS right?
Your symptoms do not suggest RD.

JCH MD
OK, thanks.  Sensing you are saying that they seem neurological in nature.  Is it a compelling factor that a spot has become 'permanent' in my field of vision after having similar ones come and go in both eyes for a number of years?  Does this change hold any significance in your view?
You know I've gone about as far as I can. Further would be speculation. See what the examining Eye MD says.

JCH MD
Thank you for you input.
You must realize that this is an entire field that every eye specialist has avoided because no one seems to know what the heck is going on with these people.  This guy is not the only one.  My wife has the exact same problem (I'm writing under her name) as do thousands of people around the world.  If anyone could figure out what's happening to these peoples' vision then you'd have something significant to contribute to the AMA Journal.  Imagine how frightened and confused these folks are.  Btw, we live in Moberly and if you want to be the Doc who finally figured out this puzzle, I'm sure my wife would volunteer to be your test subject.
How long have you dealt with this issue?  My regular doc and eye doc both have told me that not even doctors know why the body does some of the things it does but as long as what I am experiencing doesn't invade my quality of life too much that I should be happy with what I have been given.  Everyday is a gift, I am thankful for each one.  Thanks for posting this, it is nice to know I am not alone - I suspected I wasn't but it is nice to know.
I have had these spots - precisely as you describe - for almost 10 years now. I've had numerous doctors look at my eyes to no avail. Retinas look perfectly normal.
it's frightening and frustrating.
Do you suffer from migraines?

I don't know if they are migraines, but I can get a massive headache on my left side (opposite the eye with the 'permenent' spot) that only sleep will cure sometimes.  It doesn't happen very often.  I notice no connection between the headache and an increase in spots.  I have dealt with the fleeting camera flash like spots (that last a few minutes) in both eyes since I was 15 - I am now 40.  My overall vision is strong. I did notice the 'permanent' spot show up just after I starting taking a regular medication so I speculate that it might contribute to it.  Usually they disappear after a few seconds or maybe a couple days at most.  
What are your 'spots' like?  Do you see them more when you switch from a dark to light room like mine do?
my spots? UGH. I hate them
They are ruining my life.
As for the way they manifest, they are exactly as you describe. When one appears, it looks like the afterimage of a camera flash, but it simply does not fade. It's most noticeable when I blink, and it glares in intensity. Over a period of a few days or weeks, the new spot generally diminishes to the point where it it just a blind spot on an amsler grid or ANYTHING with contrast. I had to take all the horizontal blinds out of my house for that reason. I can't stand to fill out any kind of form anymore, where there are lots of vertical and horizontal lines. Spreadsheets are a killer.
I have probably 20 or so spots in each eye. I can still read. My vision, overall, like yours is perfect. I've never required glasses. I am also 40 years old.
It's some crazy enigma that doctors either don't have the patience or skill to diagnose.
I've tried opthalmologists in australia and here in the states and neither has an explanation.
If I hear one more of them say "let's adopt a wait-and-see attitude:, i'll likely hurt someone...

God, I am sorry to hear abotu your situation.  I have 3 in my right eye that stick around...like you said contrasts and blinds are a pain in the neck.  I too hate the 'wait and see' reply because it is the doc's nice way of saying 'we really don't have a clue what its from'.  Right after I got my biggest one in my right eye, it used to increase when I worked out.  It has since stopped doing that and my optomistrist said that the spot was likely caused by looking at welding arcs or magafied sun spots as a kid (it catches up with you I guess).  He did notice a slight "burned spot" on my retina that could explain it he said.  He called them phosphanes or pressure phosphanes.  The ones that come and go in an instant I've been told for years are another form of visual migraine (even without the headache) often brought on by stress and anxiety.  I am a nervous person anyway so when I first got them I freaked out a little.  
I am dealing with the same issue! I am a 33-year old woman and I started with the spots that showed up and went away about 5 years ago. The permanent spot started about 1 year ago. Bottom right side of my vision. I wonder if its related to my Depakote usage. I take that for epilepsy. What new medication are you taking?