Eye Care Community
Sudden Cross-eyed Vision NOT double vision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I've looked everywhere online and haven't found a single thing about these incidents/episodes with my vision.  FYI - I have astigmatism in both eyes, nearsighted, migraines with aura, and that's all I can think of that would be related to why this happened.  I am 31 years old, female.

About four weeks ago (3/28/09), suddenly my vision went cross-eyed.  But I was not intentionally crossing my eyes.  It felt the same as if I were intentionally crossing my eyes, but I could not control my eye movement at all.  It lasted about 45 seconds or so.  Then my vision went back to normal.  I felt the slightest bit dizzy (not even 10 minutes), and my eyes felt strained (for about an hour) afterward, but I was not in any pain, and my eyes did not hurt.  I did nothing about it at the time, because I figured it was nothing to worry about.
This happened a second time two days ago (4/20/09), exactly the same except it lasted only about 30 seconds.  And the same feeling...slightly dizzy (about 5 minutes), and eye strain (about an hour) afterward.  None of the same circumstances were present from the first time it happened.  Just out of the blue, sudden cross-eyed vision.
I immediately looked online to see who I should call/see (ophthalmologist or neurologist?) & made an appointment with an ophthalmologist.  My appointment was this morning.  My eye exams were all normal...nothing out of the ordinary.  She set me up with a blood test for possible myasthenia gravis, but she says it's most likely not the issue. She said she wasn't really sure what to tell me because she had never really heard of this before.
She told me that the next time it happens to cover up one of my eyes to see if I can see clearly.  She also said it could possibly be a TIA, but I am not in the right age group.  My main concern is if it happens while I'm driving, as it could be very dangerous!

Any ideas?  Explanations?  Suggestions?  Thank you!
One possibility is spasm of accommodation which has been discussed here before. Access with archives and search feature. If the problem persists ask the Eye MD to refer you to a strabismus specialist or neuroophthalmologist.

JCH MD
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person who has had this experience. I've experienced the same problem several times over the last year. It usually occurs when I'm tired, or after sleeping or dozing. I feel like my eyes are being forced to cross and I have to fight against "the pulling." The last episode happened the end of August and it really scared me. I went to the emergency room and received no help, of course. I went to my family Doctor who had never heard of such a thing. I had blood work and an MRI done, which all came back normal. I went to an Optometrist a few months ago who said that other than Dry Eye, I had good eye health. I guess I will try what has been suggested to you. THANK YOU!
-
I have this intermitent problem. I do work with a computer all day, I am short sighted, slight astigmatism in one eye, problems with floaters especialy central vision in one eye - checked out because of macular degeneration in family, have been told live with it because no problems identified.
Occasionaly get flashings light disturbances and illness without the full blown migrane (migraine).
(Female age 38 with good general health, no medication taken at all except the odd head ache tablet)
hi, so strange (and reassuring) to find someone else with this...

after working online for an hour my eyes just did what you described - with the weird uncontrolled 'pulling'. i get it a couple of times a year and it does pass after a few moments, but it is a bit scary given you go cross eyes and cant assess depth (what if it happens when i'm driving?) i am also near sighted and suffer classic migraine aura. in the incident i just had i covered each eye in turn - the right seemed normal and i think it was just the left that was going a bit out of control!

does it seem to be mainly migraineurs that suffer?

have the ideas on here helped at all?

regards
d
I also have this same issue. I have Fibromyalgia so I asked my Rheumatologist. He sent me for an MRI to check for MS but scan was clear. I then went to a Neurologist and had an EEG checking for seizures. The test did show slight abnormality on left sign but on follow-up EEG a year later it was normal. I also mentioned it to my Primary Dr and Gyno and neither had never heard of this. I do not have migraines but do have dry eyes and sinus/allergy problems. In an attempt to look in the mirror during one of these episodes, I did realize that if I look to either side my vision is not distorted. I have had these episodes 2-5 times per year for the last 3 years.
I am a female almost 32 years old.  I have had the same thing happen for about 5 or 6 years.  It has been very infrequent until recently.  It has been about once for the past 2 months.  I have been to the eye doctor and my vision is fine and I had my eyes dilated to check my optic nerve and that seems healthy too. My primary doctor has had me check my blood sugar every time it's happened and it has been between 75 and 90 so that is good as well.  I do have MS in my family. My father's mother had it.  When I was 17/18 years old I had drug induced lupus because of minocycline for acne from the dermatologist. Because of this I generally do not take medications unless absolutely neccessary. I am going for a CTscan on friday and more blood work tongiht. I know from the outside my eyes don't actually look cross eyed but they feel it.  If I cover each eye I see fine.  If I look either to the left or right without moving my head it is fine also.  When I am looking straight and tilt my head down I see correctly and when I put my head back up it feel crossed.  This has been a very frustrating journey and I just want to know what is going on and what the treatment is so that it may stop.
-
This morning I had a bizarre episode of crossed vision. Never experienced anything like this. There was no pain, no dizziness. My walking was off-balance, but I didn't 'feel' dizzy. It wasn't double vision or crossed eyes. My husband said my eyes looked normal. If I covered one eye, I could see normal out of the other eye. But looking with both eyes, my vision was definitely crossed.  It lasted for at least a few minutes. It could have been longer, but I rested with my eyes closed for about one hour. Woke up fine.
I am 56 y/o female, in excellent health, no ailments, not on ANY meds, superior nutrition, moderate exercise, appropriate sleep.
My husband wanted to take me to the emergency room. I'm glad I said 'no' - after reading many internet comments, there appears to be no easy diagnosis. And I wouldn't want to be subjected to being treated like a looney-tune by the so-called medical professionals who will all-too-often act like I don't know what I'm talking about.
I am 40 years old and I thought I was crazy.  My eyes were doing funny things last week with little squiggly lines through my vision.  I did have a headache with the squiggly lines.  I went to the eye dr. and everything checked out fine.  This week I had the new symptoms.  The first time was when I was sitting at my desk working on the computer.  I just thought it was eye strain.  The second time was yesterday while I was standing at the copier at work, all of the sudden it felt like my eyes were crossed.  One of my co-workers walked in and I asked her if my eyes looked funny and she said they looked normal.  However, I was seeing things as if my eyes were crossed.  I had the same feelings as some of you others, dizziness and my eyes felt tired after the fact.  This episode really scared me because it lasted for about 7 to 10 minutes.  Even today, my eyes feel tired and strained.  
=
This happened to me tonight but it lasted longer than a few minutes.  It started an hour and a half ago and is mostly gone, but I'm still having a little difficulty focusing.  At least I'm not dizzy anymore.

Usually I love trying to solve medical mysteries, but this one's freaking me out a bit.  The only thing I've found commonly mentioned by anyone else posting is the nearsightedness (I'm nearsighted).

I'm not taking any medications and very rarely get headaches.  Today I had the kind of head ache I usually get from lack of sleep (pressure behind the eyes), and I have been a little behind on sleep this week but not too bad.  I ate well today.  I've been under some stress but nothing unusual.  Blood pressure was normal when I checked it a few minutes ago.

I should go to sleep but I've been afraid to.  The dizziness has been gone for a while so I think I'll be okay.  If I find out anything, I'll be sure to post it here.
As Dr. Hagan suggested in a post further up the page:

"One possibility is spasm of accommodation which has been discussed here before. Access with archives and search feature. If the problem persists ask the Eye MD to refer you to a strabismus specialist or neuroophthalmologist. "
=
I have also had this same thing happen to me! I was sleeping for about 30 mins and when I woke up my vision was so blurred it felt like my eyes were crossed! I blinked multiple times to try to focus and finally my vision came back. I have allergy/sinus problems and nearsightedness and work with a computer all day, as some people have mentioned previously. I went to the Opthalmologist and he told me that my eyes were fine and he's never heard of this before. I don't know what to do. I hope it's not a mini stroke or TIA? I'm sure if I did all the testing, it would come back normal.
My eye doctor ALSO said he's never heard of it but I have had the SAME thing happen with the SAME frequency as described by others here...STRANGE that this appears to be a new condition that's JUST started presenting since young doctors have been in practice...it's REAL though!
I have the same problems you are having, migraines aura and just a few minutes ago the newest symptom eyes crossing. I have narrowed the instigators of my migraines down to a short list ,Olive oil, and Stress. The crossed eye thing scared me to death! has anyone here found anything out about this issue? I can't seem to find anything on the net! Please leave any info you have come across. Thank you.
Look back up the posts.  Dr Hagan has provided the information you need.
I have had the same problem where my eyes seem to cross and I get double vision! If I cover or close one eye, it goes away but it happened today while I was driving and it was very disconcerting. I closed one eye and my depth perception went away but I managed to get back without crashing into anybody or anything. I am thinking of going to see my doctor but I don't know if it warrants looking into since it happened only a few times so far? Frankly, I don't know if it is cross-eyes or double vision but it feels like the muscles of my eyes has its own mind and I do see double.

Right now as I am typing it feels like it is going to happen again and I have a slight headache. But it clear up after awhile.

I don't really know what to do!

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!