Eye Care Community
Swollen Eyelids

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Swollen Eyelids

I am a 27 year old male and wear contact lenses. Over a month ago, I had visited the eye doctor and my intraocular pressure was 22 and 24. I went back to the doctor last week and my eye pressures went down to 18 and 20. At that time I expressed concern over my left eylid being swollen when I awake. It is swollen to an extent that when I open my eyes and look into the mirror up close, my left eyeball will not move and remains stationary.  This will continue for about 20 seconds and then it will begin to track with my other eye after blinking. I have noticed that I have had 2 styes in the past 3 weeks in that particular eye as well. My doctor prescribe me a allergy drop that seems not to be working. Any thoughts, advice, comments will be greatly appreciated!!
These are problems that need attended to by a real eye exam. Discuss them with your "eye doctor" (hopefully he/she is an Eye MD ophthalmologist) If you are not seeing an Eye MD or do not feel comfortable with your present eye doctor then get a second opinion

JCH MD
Could a possible cause be a sinus issue?
It would take a severe sinus infection to cause that, likely attended by high fever, profound redness and swelling of the lids and a very very sick person

JCHM md
I have been under the care of an opthalmologitst and my pressures have been around the same. My doctor has also said that my contact lenses (acuvue 2) are not letting sufficient oxygen to my eyes. I do have some visible veins leading to the cornea.He said I should continue to use them and in the next couple of months if the condition does not get better we can consider another contact lens. I still have the eyelid issues in the morning in which they are extremely swollen and takes a little while for me to return to my normal sight. Could this be some type of cornea edema from contact lens overuse and also is there a correlation to higher pressures?
Contacts yes. Intraocular pressure no.   Read the article I wrote on this page "General information on dry eyes"    Know that 20% of our lasik patients have lasik because they lose the ability to wear contacts, of those most are dry eyes, of those 80% are female.

JC MD