Eye Care Community
Swollen Upper Right Eyelid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Swollen Upper Right Eyelid

So almost 2 weeks ago now, I woke up with my right upper eyelid (only) so swollen that my eyebrow looked like I just had an overdone face lift on one side of my face. I tried putting cold compress on it, no change, as the day progressed swelling decreased, but not completely. Next day same thing, took some Actifed and rested for a few hours. This seemed to make the swelling go down quite a bit. I thought it would go away totally in a few days as it seemed to get slightly better some mornings and generally the swelling would go down as the day progressed. However, to date its still swollen and some days it seems to get worse rather than better. As I live in London I've gone to an NHS Doctor who suggested it could be allergies as the inside of my eye was not swollen or red nor was I having any puss (However the eyelid doesn't itch at all). He subscribed some allergy medicine which I've been taking; but honestly I think if anything it's just getting worse! I'm not sure it could be an allergy as it is only one eyelid and specifically the upper. The night before I woke up with this problem I was having alot of pain behind my right eye, but as I had been drinking a little I attributed it to a simple headache. The only pain I have is a slight pain now and then that seems to come from behind the eye. The eyelid is not discolored although can appear slightly pink at some times. I wear contacts and threw them out thinking that was the cause and then put in new ones... still no change. I thought this would eventually go away but 2 weeks of this has started to make me nervous but I have no idea what it could be? I have had sty's before and know this is not the culprit. Please help!

Hi, I am a community leader here not a doctor. I have a lot of experience helping eye patients including myself. Welcome to our community.
Dr. Hagen will answer you in a while.

He recommends that patients in UK see a private doctor, if possible. He might recommend that you see a neuro-ophthalmologist.

Write back anytime.
See an eye MD right away, a private one, if you can. See an ophthalmologist.

Anna
It is not possible to make an electronic diagnosis from your discription nor to suggest any treatment other than seeing an Eye MD ASAP. Even if you have to go to a private practitioner outside the NHS.

JCH III MD
Thank you for your input, I'm currently working on getting in to see an eye doctor :)
-