TEAR DRAINAGE
I HAVE PLUGS IN BOTH LOWER DUCTS. I NOTICE HOWEVER WHEN I USED DROPS(RESTASIS, SYSTANE ETC) THAT THE LIQUID STAYS IN ONE EYE MUCH LONGER THAN THE OTHER. THE EYE THAT HOLDS THE LIQUID LONGER HAS A SMART PLUG. THE OTHER EYE IS A DIFFERENT PLUG(SORRY I CANNOT REMEMBER THE TYPE). WHEN A TEAR DUCT IS PLUGGED CORRECTLY DOES IT COMPLETELY ELIMINATE TEARS FROM DRAINING IN THAT DUCT. THE UPPER DUCTS ARE NOT PLUGGED BUT I STILL THINK IT IS STRANGE. THANKS.
The so called "smart plug" is a plug I do not like or recommend putting in the eye. If it ever needs to be removed it often cannot be removed without major surgery. Also while it blocks more of the tests accounting for your observations its much more likely to irritate the lining of the tear ducts causing abnormal granulation tissue.

JCH MD
The plug that is not the smart plug. Do you completely block drainage from that duct or does it just slow the drainage down. The reason I ask is I am wanting to get the upper duct plugged, however it the tears cannot drain then the would probably just run down my face. Thanks
No some fluid gets through.

JCH MD
YOU WARN AGAINST "SMART PLUGS" BUT I DON'T KNOW WHICH ONES I HAVE.  IS THERE AN EASY WAY TO FIND OUT?  IS THERE ANOTHER NAME FOR THEM?