Eye Care Community
Vitrectomy and Low Eye Pressure or Hypotony

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I've had a successful Vitrectomy in my right eye to get rid of floaters and the loose vitreal bag.  I do worry about low eye pressure later on in my life and that is keeping me from having a Vitrectomy in my left eye.  The IOL implant in my left eye has made the floaters bigger and I have trouble seeing when in lights or bright sun.  I also have the membrane that grows from left over cells that is making it difficult for me to see with both eyes.  Now they will perform a laser procedure, but I cannot have the laser procedure before having the Vitrectomy done in the left eye.  I am worried about losing pressure in my eyes.  What has been your experience with low eye pressure after cataract and Vitrectomy operations in both eyes?  I am 56 years old and have pretty high myopia.
Dear hsum4,

I am not sure why you worry about low eye pressure. That is not usually associated with a vitrectomy or cataract removal. It is also not a common problem in itself as the inner eye tissues continually produce fluid which fills the inner eye. You may wish to ask your doctor these questions for reassurance.

J Pernoud MD
Thank you so much for your response.