Vitrectomy and Low Eye Pressure or Hypotony
I've had a successful Vitrectomy in my right eye to get rid of floaters and the loose vitreal bag.  I do worry about low eye pressure later on in my life and that is keeping me from having a Vitrectomy in my left eye.  The IOL implant in my left eye has made the floaters bigger and I have trouble seeing when in lights or bright sun.  I also have the membrane that grows from left over cells that is making it difficult for me to see with both eyes.  Now they will perform a laser procedure, but I cannot have the laser procedure before having the Vitrectomy done in the left eye.  I am worried about losing pressure in my eyes.  What has been your experience with low eye pressure after cataract and Vitrectomy operations in both eyes?  I am 56 years old and have pretty high myopia.
Dear hsum4,

I am not sure why you worry about low eye pressure. That is not usually associated with a vitrectomy or cataract removal. It is also not a common problem in itself as the inner eye tissues continually produce fluid which fills the inner eye. You may wish to ask your doctor these questions for reassurance.

J Pernoud MD
Thank you so much for your response.