Wall Eye (Strabismus) from Scleral Buckle
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone else on this forum has had any experience with my particular problem:

I have a scleral buckle in my left eye due to a retinal detachment with PVR (scarring) complications.  The detachment was caused by trauma.  It was so severe that part of my macula had come off. The buckle has been in place for almost 7 years now.   It took many surgies to fix my detachment.  By the time of my last surgery (which took place in 2001), my left eye had pretty much gone through hell and back.  I noticed an eye alignment problem almost immediately after my first surgery.  Although, at the time, that was hardly by biggest worry - saving my vision was.   I was also told by the doctor that in most cases, the misalignment should correct itself within 6 months.  So, here I am 7 years later and my left eye is still misaligned and I'm pretty darn sure by now that it's not going to fix itself.  I'm considering strabismus surgery to correct the condition.  But, I'm hesistant to put that poor eye through another operation. Has anyone here experienced anything similar?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
If you can live with the problem you might be better to "leave well enough alone".  You are right it's not going to cure itself. Be sure you have consulted a strabismus/pediatric ophthalmologist. Among the risks you have is constant double vision that is worse than anything you had before the surgery.

JCH III MD
Thank you for the response.  I am definitely going to consult a stabismus specialist. Actually, I already have distortions and double vision in my problem eye.  I think it's a combination of the buckle and part of my macula falling off.   As a result, my brain has basically learned to deal with the constant double images.  Can strabismus surgery make it worse or better?  Also, is it a relatively minor or major surgery?  Will I be taking a big risk with my already damaged eye?  Thanks again!
To be frank surgery could make it better or worse. There would need be more chance to make it better than worse or the surgeon will not suggest possibility of surgery. It is major surgery. There would be a small risk to your damaged eye.

JCH III MD
What kind of recovery time is typically of this type of surgery?
Your eye will be red and require drops for several weeks. You generally can return to work within a day or two of the surgery.

JCH III MD
My response is based on my personal experience of adult strabismus surgery and retinal surgery (vitrectomy with epiretinal membrane peeling).  I imagine that recovery from strab surgery can vary quite a bit, depending on what procedures were done and individual differences.  In my case, one muscle in my left eye was shortened.  I went shopping at the mall (wearing sunglasses) that afternoon, and I could drive/return to work the next day.  I experienced no pain at all.  However, I've communicated with others online who had strab surgery on several muscles in both eyes, and their recovery was much longer and more difficult than mine.

I think your situation is very complex.  Retinal problems as well as eye muscle problems can cause distortion and double vision.  But I think that a consultation with an experienced strabismus surgeon would be well worth your time.  After a thorough evaluation, s/he would be in the best position to make recommendations to you.  Best of luck.  
----------------------------------