Eye Care Community
Wavy or deformed vision after Retinal detachment surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

My brother had a RD surgery (Macula off) on 28th Jan with Scleral buckling procedure with a best doctor. His vision started showed symptoms of improvement after 3 weeks of the surgery but Doctor said it will take up to 2- 3 months get the vision stabilised. We understand that the RD surgery was successfull with carefully attached Retina. However, he is complaining of
a) Wavy or deformed lines or objects after two weeks of surgery which still continue to exist
b) Floating objects in the vision which keeps moving when the eye lid moves
c) Blurred vision
We have been assured that (b) and (c) will improve over a period but not sure of (a) i.e bend or waviness in the lines or objects. Can someone please explain the reason for this as well as if this is normal and gets improved later?

Thanks in advance for your time.

1. When the macula is pulled off even its re-attached it is often wrinkled which causes the wavy vision (metamorphopsia). Think taking a 8 X 11 photo. Crush and crumple it then straighten it back out. The picture won't look the same even though its flat again.
2. Vitreous floaters. They will likely be permanent. the surgery doesn't do anything for them.
3. same deal as #1. Discuss with his surgeons.  Some improvement can occur for as long as 6-12 months but macula off RD often does not return full recovery of central vision.

JCH MD

JCH MD
Dear John,
There appears a difference in the vision between day and night . While day vision is gradually improving, my brother still have not seen much improvement in the night vision. Any reason for this?. Will this improve when he gets new lenses?
He may have a cataract forming, he may have dysphotopsia, it cold also be that the night vision system was more damanaged by the "RD than the day vision. Glasses may help.
JCH MD
The Wavey Line thing and the crumpled picture comparison is interesting.  I was initially thinking the bubble itself was causing this.  My bubble is now two bubbles (one little on formed/broke away).  But as it gets smaller overall, I still see this wavey line.  I am fairly young and healthy and hope this wavey line thing goes away.  Anyway, have you heard of anyone with this condition after retina detachment surgery who eventually had the wavey line disappear?
MikeJS

Thank you!
=
I saw the surgeon yesterday for over two hours.  He got 99% of the fluid out of the eye during surgery and thought about drilling another hole in eye during the retina reattachment surgery just to be safe.  We are talking about microscopic amount of fluid.  Somehow someway, whatever fluid that was left settled on the opposite side of my eye than were it should have settled to drain. This is the reason face down recovery for the first 12-24 hours is critical.  The fluid dried, leaving a flap or minute ridge in the middle of my vision.  this flap or ridge may never disappear, and this wavy line in my field of vision may be there forever.  He said It isnt something that will go away, if it does, quickly.  We are looking at 6 months plus, if ever.  The only other option would be to remove the retina completely and reattach it again.  My retina tear was at about 30%, and not over my macular -central vision area of my eye.   I have no idea this will go away.  I am not optimistic.  It is possible since I did not stay awake for the surgery that the fluid drained the wrong way when the anesthesa tubes were removed.
Already answered on your other post.
JCH MD
I too  have had a detatched retina operation two in fact then followed by a cateract removal   I was discharged yesterday my sight is very good but like you I have a wavy  distortion still in the same eye I asked the consultant about this and he replied that its up to nature now   I suppose I should be satisfied with the results really so let me know please if yours has improved at all It has been 10 months since my retina op and 2 and a half months since the cateract was removed   Marlene Edmunds uk
q
guys i have NEVER seen an internet post EVER That said they have wavy vision and it went away.. Not to say that it hasn't happened but on all the vision board nobody has EVER SAID waviness improved.

However I do remember reading research about kids being able to recover from waviness and what I'd like to know is that the brain overcoming or the photo receptor cells realigning??

I'm sure NO Doc will agree but  I think we have a secret way to reprogram the brain. I wonder how the brain interfaces with the retina? if it were a computer you could reprogram the interpretation of the photoreceptor cells by remapping memory. Can the brain do that?

For sure it can not if we have never tried to use our MIND to retrain an old brain.

Further for all of you high powered surgeons, as an engineer myself an a patient 13 times over I can tell you thanks for my sight which does no good if it has to be patched!  

Shame on this sector, looks like 'bones' from star trek was right about our time. We are barbarians  with our invasive moves burning tissue for a half a$% attempt to communicate with the body. A heavy hand indeed and I'm not bitter for my personal situation I'm grateful and being honest here as to the severe shortcoming of the current practices.

In the age of nano tech and we still as yet have no 'heavier than water tamponade' which is not toxic.  Heavier than water tamponades are proven to properly DEWRINKLE the retina as you lie supine and yet all you guys could come up with was per flouro n-octane? What a joke honestly and yes I can do better on a 3d printer!  

And before you say would you rather be blind I say "I'll take it from here with alt medicines and anti vegf and all the other things being poo poo'd by $500,000 a year garage mechanics. Thanks for the weld!

The future of retinal surgery is LATE and it may includes things like ;
1 non toxic heavy than water tamponades
2 magnetic buckles and fluid
3 natural anti - veg f injections
4 activation of progenitor cells
5 documenting all work (so we finally have a comprehensive database)

Now I will patch the million dollar eye as I gather a out of the box path towards usable vision..

Sincerely

Pirate Pete