Eye Care Community
Why am I seeing my iol after cataract surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I had cataract surgery on my left eye on November 18, 2009 which was 3 weeks ago. Immediately when I took off the eye patch 3 hours after the surgery I could see the left side and bottom of the new lens when putting in the eye drops they gave me.  It is like a dark shadow on the left side and bottom all the time when I am looking forward and to the right, the only time it is not visible is when I look to the left.  I feel like I am looking out of a bubble and my eye feels heavy.  I told the surgeon the next day and on my appointment with him 2 weeks later, he told me that I wasn't seeing the lens and it will go away and for me to come back and see him in a year.  But I know I am definitely seeing the lens (it is so annoying I just want to rip it out of my eye, it is obstructing my view).  It is like the lens is too small and doesn't go far enough to the left.  If it went further to the left I feel I wouldn't see it.  The past few days I am now seeing a light blue reflection coming off the end of the lens.  Do you think the lens is too small or defective or maybe it didn't unfold properly?  The lens is a Alcon Acrysof IQ IOL  Model: SN60WF, Length: 13.0mm, Optic: 6.0mm with a UV blue light filter.  I go to bed every night and pray that when I wake up my eye will be back to normal but every morning I wake up and it is still interfering with my view.  I am getting to the point that I don't want to open my eyes in the morning, this is ruining my life.  I have talked to a few people who have had this surgery and they say they have full vision with no obstructions just like before they had the surgery.  I don't understand why this is happening to me. Does anyone have any suggestions?  I cannot live the rest of my life with this problem, I will go crazy!!!

Thank you,
Yvonne

This discussion is related to Treating Negative Dysphotopsia .
There's a lot of information about dysphotopsia, both in the archives of this forum and online.  Learn as much as you can about this condition.

I'll refrain from expressing my opinion about your surgeon based on his advice to return in a year.  Sometimes the problem does diminish with time, especially if you don't focus on it.  In addition, exchanging the IOL for a lens from a different manufacturer made of a different material will sometimes resolve the problem.  You'd want to see a surgeon who specializes in treating difficult cases like yours.  You might try calling your original surgeon and requesting a referral.  If this doesn't work, try calling a major medical medical center that has an opthalmology department and requesting an appointment with the senior staff member specializing in cataract surgery/IOL explants.
This is negative dysphotopsia.  If it does not improve the IOL needs to be exchanged.

Dr. O.
It is like I wrote this, all symptoms, except my lens is a SN60AT. They told me the SN60WF has a  thinner edge.  I see this in my eye all the time, and I know it is the edge of the lens. Like you, I feel if it was more the the right in case I would not see it.  I had a macular hole in my eye, and this caused the cataract.  I was told it would go away, it has been two eyes of misery.  I had two surgeries on the eye, and was told the hole that  was made to  put it  into was small in the capsule.  I was told it is negataive dysphotopsia, which means a reflection off the lens, I see the lens.  Again it is from the same manufacturer, same type of lens square edged.  I am afraid to have this taken out, but also cannot accept it.  It is very disturbing.  I am contemplating a decision on this matter. I fell as though we are not the only ones experiencing this, and anyone who reads this so really post a comment.  Do not let them do YAG surgery on the eye, as this creates more scar tissue and makes it even more difficult to get this lens out. The lens has scarred down in my eye already. If you can reply to me please do so.
correction to sentence .. it should read "I was told it would go away, it has been two years of misery. "
Thank you Yvonne and cindy556 for all the help that you have given me. Cindy, I have YAG surgery scheduled in two weeks. I AM RUNNING TO THE DOCTOR TOMORROW TO CANCEL IT! THANK YOU!    Charlie
I could have written your post. I had my surgery on June 7th 2010 and I have the same make/model and size of lens you have. I am so disappointed in the result that I feel it is worse than before surgery. I had a legally blind eye due to non use. My right eye is the dominant eye. I can see the edge of the lens which is very irritating. I could live with the dominant eye just fine. Now I get startled daily, sometimes more often, that someone is standing right beside me or sneaking up on me from behind because the edge of the lens is either shimmering or a moving dark line. Your description of the "I just want to rip it out" is right on and I feel the same.
I was told at first week follow up that I was seeing the incision. At my 1 month follow up I was told it is the edge of the lens and it won't go away. My brain will learn to ignore it. I wonder how long that takes on average. I really wish something to be done about it. I can't imagine living with it for the next half of my life.
My dr did more than 10.000 IOL surgeries so I consider him to be experienced with a good track record. Unfortunately where I got the procedure done, I do not see him at follow ups. There are trained staff doing the follow up and I feel cheated when they tell me it is perfect - not sure if they mean my eye or the surgery - while I feel more disabled than I was before and irritable all the time due to this artifact of the surgery. It is everything but not perfect. If I had known it was going to end up like this, I would have refused the sx. This was not listed on the side effects/complications list so I didn't know it could happen. I will follow the conversation and hope to find out more about this condition. I will also try to talk to my surgeon if I can get to him somehow.
Thanks for reading.
For those of you who have been diagnosed with "negative dysphotopsia", recent clinical experience has shown piggyback IOL placement to be a very effective treatment.  This involves placing a second IOL in front of the original IOL in an attempt to catch unwanted light rays diverging onto the peripheral retina. The theory is that too much space exists between the iris and IOL surface, and therefore too many obliquely-oriented light rays fall onto the peripheral retina, producing the unwanted peripheral "dark crescent".    

Piggyback IOL placement still involves the risks of all surgeries within the eye, but is safer overall compared with IOL exchange, and may be more effective in this setting.
I had cataract surgery on my right eye 15 days ago.  Like you, I am experiencing negative dysphotopsia.  I was not prepared for this outcome and, naturally, became upset.  In doing the research I should have done before I allowed surgery in the first place, I have learned that negative dysphotopsia is quite common.  I suggest you read an article written by Randall J. Olson, MD, Salt Lake City titled "Demystifying Dysphotopsia."  One of the key things mentioned in his article is "turning down the gain," i.e. allowing your brain to relax and adjust to the new lens.  By doing so, the majority of people overcome the distraction.  By focusing or obsessing, we don't give the brain the opportunity to filter out an image that is not supposed to be there.  I'm trying to do this at this point in time.  If the dark curved line does not disappear I will then decide whether to have a lens replacement, piggyback another lens on my existing IOL, or simply accept and adjust to the distraction.   Good luck in your path forward.
What are you doing now about it.  I have had surgery in the left eye and after 3 months have the problem, but my surgeon talked me into doing it to the right eye anyhow and that it probably wouldn't be the same thing, however, I had it yesterday and the right eye has the same problem.  I may go crazy!!!!!!
I hate to mention this as I have posted other Q's but but have to ask as I face the other eye lens replacement now. It has been 3 yrs since my lens was replaced with the Alcon SN60wF length 13.0 optic  6.0. I had asked not to have crisp vision and said I hate enhanced anything but this is the les I have and I do have perfect vision and am trying to adjust to enhanced vision but that is another situation. I am concerned that it took 2.5 yrs for a pain that not dry eyes to subside that was between the iris and the tear duct. It is back and I wonder if this could be a reflection issue as it seems affected by light. My surg. is excellent and my vision is clear so I am now wondering can this be a reaction to the way the eye sees - a fatigue of sorts? Also if i am in a light room on occasion if I enter a dark one I can't quickly adjust to the darker room it is like a film over my eye and it is worsened by seeing my own shadow  darker  with that eye as the contrast is greater and shadows appear darker. This is on occasion I am in my late 60's small pupils and have a concern if both eyes are like this when I have the 2nd one done or is this just an odd thing. the surg says all looks well.
Boy you guy's. Yvonnez, just like the others, you have perfectly described my delima! I have the same exact IOL as you!!! SN60WF Length 13.00 !!
Folk's, they ought to take this model off the freaking market!! This thing sux!
I got my IOL Feb 2013. I just hope it hasn't caused any scare tissue in my eye. And my Dr? She wont admit anything's wrong. She wont answer any of my question's about it. See's me for 1 minute, and run's a way! She's tells me to relax, and breath, and not to worry! Well, I would have done allot less worrying if she'd have told me what was wrong in the first place!! I went to the emergency room after my IOL surgery, thinking this was a symptom of a detached retina! A big expensive bill. Good thing I have insurance. Really, I wish I could freaking SUE! And she has the GAUL to set me up for YAG surgery!!?? It's set up for September. I'm canceling! Thank you Jesus, for letting me find you all.
Here are some tips to get rid of swelling on the inner corner of the eye :

1.Wash your hands with soap and warm water before beginning any treatment for eye swelling. Dirt and bacteria present on your hands can enter your eye and cause further infection.

2.Apply a clean, warm compress to the inner corner of your eye. A chalazion is a bump in your eyelid caused by blockage of a gland that produces lubricating fluid.

3.Apply prescription antibiotic ointments to the inner corner of your eye--and other inflamed, affected areas--to clear a stye infection.

4.Take oral antibiotics to eliminate the inflammation associated with a tear duct infection, also called dacrocystitis.

5.Undergo a surgical procedure that opens up clogged tear ducts to get rid of chronic swelling that accompanies recurring infections.

There are alot of things that happen to us after cataract surgery that they don't tell us before....I guess that since we are all different, we all get different occurances...I researched several people before my surg. and all said "piece of cake...I can see everything perfectly clear.....I was soooo excited...my vision was not that bad presurgery....just a little blurred in the distance...I wore 24/7 extended wear lenses for 30 years....never had 1 problem .....but decided to go ahead and have the iol placement.....It seems that I have a "Small Eye"....had never heard of such a thing.....means the anterior chamber of my eye has a small depth.....pre surger rt. eye, techs were unable to dilate my pupil...tried 3 times.....wheeled me into surgery and the surgeon STRETCHED my pupil with a tool so he could get the lens in....this left me with horrid corneal edema, cloudy vision, etc. for several days......I have had a problem with refraction ever since which causes slightly cloudy vision in the eye.....especially with light entering to the side of my eye......Then 2 years later, I went to Cincinnati Eye Institutte and had a remarkable eye surgeon...Dr. Michael Snyder.....read his credentials.....he was not concerned about the "small eye".....anterior eye surg. is one of his specialties....so he did a Toric lens implant and also did Limbal Relaxation Incision in my cornea to correct my astigmatism for better reading vision.....I had the flicker for a couple of months...he assured me it would go away, which it did......I still, at times , have the black arc to the outside of my eye....he said it sometimes takes up to a year to go away....it is getting less and less....now, the good part.....when the first surgeon stretched my pupil, without my approval I might say, he caused the loss of some it the cells in the iris, thinning out that part of the iris...causing light to enter through those areas and light is entering the retina where it is not supposed to...outside of the pupil....so that is the reason for the cloudy vision......they all tell you...that's normal, that will go away, I don't know what's causing that and just blow you off....not Dr. Snyder....he was quick, precise, teaching med students as he did my surgery...I was done in less than 10 minutes, no pain and having a cup of coffee......recommend him to ANYONE in this tristate area.......
Wow, I am 5 weeks post op and since I took the eye patch off day 1, I have the same issue with same lens as yvonnez. My Dr tells me to get used to it, WTF...It seem that, if the lens were just re-positioned it would be good.
Getting a second opinion in a few days. Knowing I'm not the only one with issue doesn't help. It sure seems that the Dr's are very aware of this issue with the AcrySof and they all have the same answers...Other than the edge issue, My vision is awesome.