Eye Care Community
YAG laser with macular edema

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

YAG laser with macular edema

I had cataract surgery in April 2011.  In October I began to have decreased vision from 20/25 to barely 20/40.  Cataract surgeon has told me that I had posterior capsule opacificatoin and would need YAG treatment.  Saw my retina specialist for annual check up (after macular hole surgery) and he did an OCT scan and found that I had macular edema.  Cataract surgeon never checked for this.  Can I go ahead with the YAG treatment with macular edema?  
No not until the retina MD says its okay and the retina MD and the cataract MD have spoken with it. Macular edema can develop or get worse after yag capsulotomy.  If your edema clears its likely your retina MD will want you to remain on steroid drops and bromday or other non-steroidal antiinflammatory drops for several months after the yag cap.

JCH MD
Just curious, did your Doctors tell you the Macular Edema thickness numbers that show up on the OCT test ?   250 ish is the average "normal" thickness I believe.  My numbers are in the 380-400 ish range after ERM & cataract surgery...and don't seem to be going down.

Just wondering what your Doctor thinks is abnormal.  It is good to get copies of your OCT results for your file and perusal, just ask for that and your chart notes.  There should be no charge for them.