Eye Care Community
antibiotic for internal hordeolum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

antibiotic for internal hordeolum

I just went an eye doc. yesterday due to a swollen eyelid and was prescribed keflex, an oral antibiotic for an internal hordeolulm (stye).  

Anyway, I've taken 2 pills so far and was wondering.

1. I now have a "discharge" coming fromthat eye...it's clear, but it's definitely a new development since I got put on the antibiotic....is this the "pus" from the stye releasing, or could it besomething else?
Is it coincidence, or does this discharge go "hand in hand" with being on an antibiotic to combat the infection?

2. Does anyone have any idea how long it will take for this antibiotic to really kick in gear and knock out this obnoxious, painful, hideous stye?
The antibiotic does not cure the internal hordeolum.  It is usually treated with warm compresses.

Dr. O.
what does the antibiotic DO then?  
and in all honesty, how long will it take for this internal stye to "disappear" because I hear it will not rupture on its own like an external stye, so is there anything I can do to speed up the process of it disappearing/rupturing/going down?
Avatar n tn
A true hordeolum generally is caused by a bacterial infection of the glands of zeiss or moll. The internal hordeolum is usually an infection of the meibomiam gland and is the usually the problem with an internal hordeolum. Hot compresses at initial onset of tenderness and pain can help the body treat the infection without need for antibiotics.  10-15 mins, hot as you can stand dry or moist 3 to 4 times/day can help increase blood vessel permeability allowing the body to fight the infection and/or antibiotics to get to the infected area. You should see noticeable improvement in 48 hours or contact your doctor.