Eye Care Community
best retina surgeon

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

best retina surgeon

I had 2 retina surgeries since last two months -- still blind in left eye. Looking for the best retinal surgeon in the world, possibly near my home in Tucson, AZ. My current surgeon, Cameron Javid, MD,suggests  H. Michael Lambert, MD in Houston, TX.

My retina may be broken in several places and will not stick because of scar tissue behind it, says Dr. Javid, who estimates I have only 5% chance of improvement in left eye with the third operation.

Anyone has great experience with the third surgery Expert?
-
Vision recovery depends on so many factors. Yet, with PVR, even with the best surgeon, the final visual acuity is often really disappointing.

The best you can hope for is a "spare tire" in case something were to ever happen to the other eye. If this means only light perception then it's better than total blindness.
As someone who has been through multiple surgeries on both eyes, I don't regret it. I also, don't think seeing the "best" surgeon is much better than any other vitreo-retinal specialist, but again this is just from my own experiences.
Whether you decide to have further surgery is up to you. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck and always remember to protect your other eye.
I'm far less knowledgeable about your condition than berrywoo is.  However, it's been my experience that the choice of retinal specialist can make a major difference in some cases.  Your current surgeon should have inside information about who is really good in the special area you need, and I would take his recommendation very seriously.  Alternatively, for a nominal fee you could use Castle Connolly's data base (available online).  Their doctors have been nominated by other doctors as someone they would consult for their own health problems.  (If you do use Castle Connolly, be sure that the retinal specialist you select is experienced in the type of procedures that you would need.)  For a higher fee, the Castle Connolly staff will do a national search for the best specialist matching your criteria.  Best of luck.
I have seen Dr Lambert. Very nice but VERY expensive so beware!