Eye Care Community
blue and green spots and sparkles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

blue and green spots and sparkles

I see red and green spots and sparkle like lights everyday almost.  I was telling my optamologist that it was difficult to tell whether something new was happening and she indicated I would see a ton of floaters and I would know!!!  Another problem is that I have so many floaters, it is hard to tell which ones are new or old.

I had a small retinal tear, and if I hadn't see the optomologist for a routine check-up I probably wouldn't have even known it was there.  I guess, my question is, is it pretty obvious when you have a retinal tear?
Hi, I am a community leader here, not a doctor. I have a lot of experience helping eye patients, including myself. Welcome to our community..

When a retina detaches, the patient sees many dark dot-like floaters and flashing lights.
An increase in hair-like floaters or a shower of floaters,can signal a retinal tear, which can lead to a retinal detachment.

I can tell an increase in floaters. I walk outside near dusk and look at the sky, or I look at a blank word page on my computer. When my left eye was serious, I looked once a day. Now that I am more stable, I look once a week.

IF you have lattice degeneration, maybe both your eyes can be lasered for prevention. My "good" eye is lasered, or has been lasered several times. I still need to watch for increased floaters, but it lasering is excellent prevention.

The GOOD thing is that your doctor caught the detachment. Now you can learn how to watch more carefully, perhaps. You are also going to be seen more often by the doctor.
Are you seeing a retinologist?

My daughter did not know her retinas had detached at 18, but her doctor caught it on a routine exam.

The doctor will review this posting. If he can guide you better, he will comment.

Let us know how you are doing.
Have you told your doctor about the red and green spots, and the sparklers?