Eye Care Community
blurry from floaters

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

blurry from floaters

Five days ago the vision in my right eye went blurry - like the eye has a coat of vaseline on the surface.  The next day the ppthamologist said this was a large floater from a pvd and that I also had a retinal tear.  He treated the tear with a laser.  My question is about the blurriness.  I don't have a problem with the black squiggly floater that floats through my vision but the sensation of having one clear vision eye and one blurry vision eye is driving me nuts.  Does this blurriness go away?
Likely you had some bleeding in the eye.  I think you need to ask your surgeon about your concerns, ask if there was a small amount of blood in the vitreous. Also make sure there are no other problems such as cataract or macular degeneration.

JCH MD
They ruled out both but did say that there was some blood in the vitreous.  Does this get absorbed and, if so, does that usually clear up the blurriness?
The blood and blurriness will clear up with time but the floater will remain indefiniely.  
Thanks - that helps.  I've read lots of posts about the squiggly black floaters, and although bothersome, they are not what's causing me to be so anxious.  I just hadn't seen anyone asking about an intense fogginess associated with the floater.  The vision is perfectly focused but it's like there is a dark fog in the eye and it's very distracting with the other eye being normal.  Hopefully, it's just the blood dispursing and being absorbed.
"foggy-ness" and "soot and thousands of tiny black dots" are descriptions that often indicate blood.

JCH MD
Dr. H,  Is it true that, if the floaters are blood, they will go away over time?
Most floaters are not blood. If they are blood they usually disolve or go away. However with huge amounts of blood they may not go away (as in diabetics) and a vitrectomy is sometimes needed.
JCH MD